Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Syrian conflict.

LoooSeR

1 minute ago, Collimatrix said:

I'm slowly working on a post on GMTI radar technology, and on Russian Air Force technology in light of the Syrian intervention.

So far as I can tell, the information-gathering technology available to a modern military is fantastic.  In fact, it's too good.  Filtering the information, making sense of it, passing it up the command structure, and passing sensible orders back down in a timely fashion, that is what has been the problem.  A modern commander has too many telescopes to look through at once.

It gets even worse when you consider the human capacity for self-deception.  Accounts of the Bush-era DOD, with everyone basically being told from up high that there definitely were WMDs in Iraq and seeing all intelligence through that lens, or the 1979 Vela incident where investigators were told to consider every possible explanation except for the most likely one, spring to mind.

Yeah, but post 9/11 the US has gotten really fucking good at data filtering.  It might take a few days to figure something out, but if the US wants to know what happened somewhere, they can figure it out and back it up with sensor data or SIGINT, or a combination of both, especially in an area of military interest.  There are enough assets in play that the raw data is there. You just have to filter it out.  I mean they can track a single vehicle with a Jihadi commander asshole in hostile territory and put a hellfire up his ass.  Not a stretch to think they know where a fast mover came from.

1 hour ago, Belesarius said:

Yeah, but post 9/11 the US has gotten really fucking good at data filtering.  It might take a few days to figure something out, but if the US wants to know what happened somewhere, they can figure it out and back it up with sensor data or SIGINT, or a combination of both, especially in an area of military interest.  There are enough assets in play that the raw data is there. You just have to filter it out.  I mean they can track a single vehicle with a Jihadi commander asshole in hostile territory and put a hellfire up his ass.  Not a stretch to think they know where a fast mover came from.

Which is why they keep accidentally zapping wedding parties, of course.

If there is one lesson people need to learn about the present era, it us that big data doesn't produce big understanding. All too often, it just allows people to put together a completely plausible, completely false picture by grabbing pieces from out of the torrent and fitting them together according to their own biases.

NEW MAP: The #US hit #Shayrat Airbase with 50+ Tomahawk missiles. Following this #ISIS launched an offensive vs. #Faraqlas. #Homs #Syria

PetoLucem new map. Attention to ISIS attack to the east of Homs, N-E from Shayrat base Attempt to cut one of 2 main supply lines of Palmyra operation.

C8zg-oyXYAA9Z-q.jpg:orig

U.S say they striked weapons depots in Shaiyrat claiming the Syrian warplane that targeted Khan sheikhoun with "chemical substances" took off from that airbase, so let's claim it's all true what they said, then there is high possible chance that some chemical substances are still stored there. Yet U.S striked the airbase risking of starting a disaster as high number of civilians live around the airbase in those 3 towns !!!

so who US killed yesterday ? 
Civilians 
Air Defence officers 
Air Base guards 
all got nothing to do with air operations

2 civ death reported, claims of severa firefighters injures.

PHOTO from Aleksandr Pushin shows 80mm rocket pods, KMGU submunitions dispensers, 500kg-series bombs and an electronic jamming pod for Su-22

C8zbLcnXoAAdr7C.jpg

#Syria Coastal Defense SPU-35V "Redut" / SSC-1 Sepal heading back to base in Tartus province according to @AliHa_97

C80UV10XcAEMyZA.jpg

4 hours ago, Belesarius said:

The only real issue I have with Dilbertmans post is this: " I didn’t realize that our military knows what every aircraft in Syria is doing at all times. That’s impressive, bordering on hard-to-believe. "

Uh, why?  US technical intelligence is by far and away the best in the world. Between various ground radar,  AWACS, fighter aircraft and drones, and SIGINT monitoring of enemy airbases, I'm sure the US is keeping a very close eye on things in Syria. USA/UK/Canada and a few others have gotten very good at correlation of sensor data and data sharing. I have zero disbelief in the thought that the US knows the flight path of every aircraft over Syria.

It's not as easy as you think. They've got a LOT to monitor in Syria. From ISIS and other terrorists spread all over Iraq and Syria, to the Russians and Assad's troops. They don't have the means to do all that.

That's also why they rely on Israel to a great extent to monitor Syria, as Israel is already focusing on Syria at the moment. Where do you think the reports of Assad having chemical weapons come from? 

2 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

C81c2qZU0AA1RII.jpg

The idiocy of some people is just stunning. People so easily equate bombing SyAF infrastructure and equipment to direct aid to terrorists.

15 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

The idiocy of some people is just stunning. People so easily equate bombing SyAF infrastructure and equipment to direct aid to terrorists.

The International Coalition just announced that they're stopping flights in Syrian airspace. Guess who benefits from this.

4 hours ago, Belesarius said:

The only real issue I have with Dilbertmans post is this: " I didn’t realize that our military knows what every aircraft in Syria is doing at all times. That’s impressive, bordering on hard-to-believe. "

Uh, why?  US technical intelligence is by far and away the best in the world. Between various ground radar,  AWACS, fighter aircraft and drones, and SIGINT monitoring of enemy airbases, I'm sure the US is keeping a very close eye on things in Syria. USA/UK/Canada and a few others have gotten very good at correlation of sensor data and data sharing. I have zero disbelief in the thought that the US knows the flight path of every aircraft over Syria.

Well Dilbertman may be many things, but he isn't really a military intelligence technology expert.

Honestly, about this he's so far been way more right than he should be. Maybe I need to take some hypnosis classes...

27 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

It's not as easy as you think. They've got a LOT to monitor in Syria. From ISIS and other terrorists spread all over Iraq and Syria, to the Russians and Assad's troops. They don't have the means to do all that.

That's also why they rely on Israel to a great extent to monitor Syria, as Israel is already focusing on Syria at the moment. Where do you think the reports of Assad having chemical weapons come from? 

Because it kinda is. This infrastructure is used for what? Deliver cakes?

And speaking about Israel - i heard all sorts of Israel claims about Hezbollah receiving T-90s, Pantsirs, Yakhont missiles and so on, all of which are lies. I hear that Isreal bombing of SAA is just to prevent Hezbollah from receiving weapons... while Hezbollah have A FUCKING ARMOR BATTALION IN AL-QUSEIR FOR OVER A YEAR, even PARADING and it was never bombed.

3 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Just for the record, the US has done that as well, and may still be.

That's basic knowledge. They didn't even bother hiding weapon deliveries to them. What I'm talking about is this very specific incident. People got this baseless notion that the bombing was done to aid terrorists. It could have been a side effect of it, surely, but that's not the reason for this attack as many like to believe.

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

Because it kinda is. This infrastructure is used for what? Deliver cakes?

And speaking about Israel - i heard all sorts of Israel claims about Hezbollah receiving T-90s, Pantsirs, Yakhont missiles and so on, all of which are lies. I hear that Isreal bombing of SAA is just to prevent Hezbollah from receiving weapons... while Hezbollah have A FUCKING ARMOR BATTALION IN AL-QUSEIR FOR OVER A YEAR, even PARADING and it was never bombed.

You know very well what I meant.

What you may have heard about T-90, Pantsirs, or Yakhont, is either not reported by Israel, or reported but you misunderstood it as if Hezbollah is already in possession of these systems. Because I've never heard Israeli sources claiming they do have them.

The armored battalion is not considered a serious threat as medium to long range rockets would be. Bombing these tanks and APCs would likely prompt a war, which is something that should be prevented. Not everyone strives for constant war, you know.

1 hour ago, Bronezhilet said:

The International Coalition just announced that they're stopping flights in Syrian airspace. Guess who benefits from this.

First time I'm hearing this. Either way, they're there to aid Iraq, who requested support. Assad can handle on his own. Especially when Russia is there to help him. 

It's never been about ISIS. They're insignificant.

1 minute ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

First time I'm hearing this. Either way, they're there to aid Iraq, who requested support. Assad can handle on his own. Especially when Russia is there to help him. 

It's never been about ISIS. They're insignificant.

Tell that to the people living in Kobane.