Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Syrian conflict.

LoooSeR

Do the PLAN regularly deploy to the Mediterranean? 

No, they've had no reason to go there yet, that doesn't mean they're not capable of doing so, they have more then enough warships and logistics/support ships to do so.

That being said, I'm waiting to see if this is actually the real deal, lots of Chinese mil websites are mentioning the rumors and ships heading towards the middle east, but nothing from state media yet.

Also, one thing that does interest me that may or may not be related to Syria is this photo and the news story behind it.

16116_437199_264494.jpg

According to my wife's translations in the article, Several ships (including this one) recently visited Finland, Denmark, and Egypt (Implying they would infact have gone very close to Syria on this oddly timed visit), and It would also imply that, from the travel route (as Finland and Denmark were visited first) They went through the North Sea as opposed to through the Indian Ocean.

Maybe there is some truth to it. *shrug*

I heard about exercise with Russian navy in that region. Chinese ships would be there just for political reason, i think. They are unlikely to participate in combat inside of Syria.

Could be, though most of the ships seen so far are Type 054A Frigates, which are funnily enough the same vessels some Russian naval officers advised the Government to purchase. like this one.

203_140274_120220.jpg

Maybe the Russian Navy wants to do a little try it before you buy it with the Type 054A? =o

(Note the ship in the background is a French Mistral class helicopter carrier which Egypt has purchased 2 of, indicating the reported location of the Type 054A is probably accurate.)

I wanted to ask same question. Maybe it is not a Mistrals, but other similar ships, French nave have those as well.

I'm 100% positive that's a Mistral class.

Note below, the features are literally identical when compared to a confirmed photo of a Mistral.

mistral_class.jpg

DEBKA claims that the Liaoning-CV-16 carries has docked to Tartus:

http://debka.com/article/24909/A-Chinese-aircraft-carrier-docks-at-Tartus-to-support-Russian-Iranian-military-buildup-

"Our military sources find evidence that the Chinese forces are digging in for a prolonged stay in Syria. The carrier put into Tartus minus its aircraft contingent. The warplanes and helicopters should be in place on its decks by mid-November - flying in directly from China via Iran or transported by giant Russian transports from China through Iranian and Iraqi airspace."

"
Our sources report that the Chinese will be sending out to Syria a squadron of J-15 Flying Shark fighters, some for takeoff positions on the carrier’s decks, the rest to be stationed at the Russian airbase near Latakia. The Chinese will also deploy Z-18F anti-submarine helicopters and Z-18J airborne early warning helicopters. In addition, Beijing will consign at least 1,000 marines to fight alongside their counterparts from Russia and Iran against terrorist groups, including ISIS. "

That's besides the point, though, why would they send the Liaoning of all thing? Also, how are they going to support it there? Can Latakia take a Kuznetsov-class carrier?

Considering Latakia has a port and support stations large enough for even the largest of Supertankers and Cargo Ships (which are actually larger/displace more then even a USN Supercarrier by a large magrin), My money would be on yes in regards to being able to take it.