Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General cars and vehicles thread.

LoooSeR

I love this thread...

Personally out of all the awesome packed into this thread my favorite by far is the transformer motion capture specialty build car. It is truly awesome in every way.

This is partially because it makes me want to build a concept vehicle me and a friend have batted around for years in Skype that we call the quad pod.

Partly because building quad pod is currently way beyond my grasp and partly because my wife somehow fell in love with the idea of it to the point that she saved up the money and had my brother help her find the right donor car in her price range while I was laid up in the hospital for nearly 6 months last year I'm currently slowly building what can only be described as the Toyota Prius Satan, the master chief, and Mel Gibson as the road warrior would drive...

Getting out of the hospital only to see a kinda beat up older Prius parked in your driveway and a wife dying in anticipation to see your reaction is a pretty overwhelming experience.  

Especially when you look back at her and with tears in her eyes she quietly says to you "you're not allowed to die on me until you finish building me this god damn car OK?!"

I am not even a little ashamed to admit that I cried like hell and agreed not to die on her until I finish the god damn car...

So now I am slowly building a Prius from hell that will eventually have bead locked 32 inch mud whompers and a pintle mount.

And I am not going to die until I finish this god damn car!

Bring on Snow Crash baby!

Life would be so much cooler if pizza guys were known as Deliberators and carried what's basically the equivalent of the noisy cricket from men in black to handle disputes and robbery attempts while clothed in fashionably designed shear thickening fluid impregnated ballistic, impact, and edge weaponry resistant armor under black leather while driving a purpose designed delivery vehicle that's part Bugatti veyron part the Lexus from minority report.

All whilst dodging traffic consisting mostly of hybrid minivans colloquially referred to as bimbo boxes, and trying to avoid car surfing skateboard couriers with purpose designed equipment the Army Rangers would be jealous of!

To include day and night capable hyperspectral imaging based night vision and a HUD display integrated into Sport sunglasses, skateboards with actively adaptive wheels that smooth out the ride over rough surfaces and allow gravity defying wall rides by virtue of gecko mode capable tweels on crack! As well as an antirape device involving high voltages and a Chinese finger trap like one way only preventers of unauthorized pussy grabbing! Oh and the coolest car surfing specific tool in the arsenal of the underage skateboard couriers.... THAT'S RIGHT!!! 

THE superconductive electromagnetic MAGNAPOON device which also integrates 10+ meters of ultrathin and strong cabling and an atlas ascender like powered reel... Perfect for all your car surfing needs, even allowing you to make the disposable and almost devoid of ferromagnetic alloys bimbo box your bitch!

I mean, wtf can be cooler than something called magnapoon that uses superconductive electromagnets ultra high strength cable and a powered cable reel? Especially if your skateboard has gecko mode active suspension wheels that allow you to ride up the side of Jersey Barriers and slingshot maneuver yourself between traffic on 8 lane highways doing in excess of 80 mph?

Oh that's right... The Yamaha tesseract cameo appearance years before the Yamaha tesseract's debut at an auto show and piloted by our intrepid protagonist... Hiro Protagonist!

What's truly impressive is that dominoes is well on it's way to fulfilling several separate things from the book.

1. They get their delivery drivers robbed semiregularly through stunningly bad corporate policies.

2. There's now an actual Dominoes specific delivery vehicle. Granted, it's more bimbo box than deliverator but it's a start!

3. Uber is kinda close to underage skateboard couriers with gear an Army ranger would kill to have... Especially since several delivery based illegal and stolen gun selling as well as delivery based drug dealing operations have been busted already.

Or, short answer...

Yes shit is getting very dystopian future cyberpunk lately.

PS: now all we need is a strung out on heroin dolphin hacker named Jones and a gang called the lo teks to start making the news and we're officially in "THE FUTURE"

Has the forum discovered these yet? Back in the 30's chevrolet commissioned several short films on automobile design, and they're a wonderful time capsule

And just 2 years later, they were on to hydraulics!

Hydraulics, but no twin leading shoes - it's all wonderfully crude

On 4/13/2017 at 10:43 PM, Sturgeon said:

I am telling you all, we are increasingly in the cyberpunk dystopia.

Meanwhile, I keep telling myself "my next truck will be a Dodge, from the early~mid 1950's".

Getting really really sick of the super-tech shit that seems to have an unerring tendency to go tits up in the fishbowl when you need it the most.

I really need to dig out my dymaxion care picture archive and post it here. This is probably one of the few groups of people who would appreciate the beautiful madness of an 11 passenger van suitable for a plumber or service electrician to use as a work vehicle which could beat actual race cars from the era in a race and STILL got 30 miles per gallon.

Yeah, I mean there was that ONE TIME an idiot crashed one and killed himself as well as one or more other people if I remember right...

But, that's like blaming the Honda civic for the existence of douchey teenagers and Vin Diesel!

Pierce Arrow Silver concept car

1.jpeg

This car was created in the early 30's. Designed by employee of American Pierce Arrow automotive firm Philippe Wright. The presentation of the car took place in 1933 at the exhibition of achievements "The Age of Progress" in Chicago. In the same year, the car was presented at an automotive exhibition in New York, where he was awarded the title of "car of the year"

4.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Paging @Xoon, a supercar with mixed electric and hydraulic transmission:

c9wmoe5.png

Image made by me.
ICE: Internal combustion engine.
EL-M: Electric motor which works as a starter, generator, alternator, regenerative break and power adder. 
Hydro-C: Hydraulic coupling which works has a torque converter
M: Electric motor and regenerative breaks. 
FD: Final drive.

Very interesting, they took a parallel hybrid system, replaced the gearbox with a torque converter, ran a clutch through it so they could lock it up when it was not needed for more efficiency, and replaced the starter motor and alternator with a single electric motor. 

If it is reliable it could be the future of hybrid vehicle design.  Though, I would like some more info the the electric motors, apart from that they run on 800V. Like, what type of PWM system do they use, frequency converters or DTC? Are the motors AC or DC? What type of motor design do they use. 

But this is defiantly something I will keep in mind, thanks Coll! 

Albar Sonic Sports Car

1.jpg

Albar Sonic is a sports car built in 1982 by the Swiss automobile company Albar on the chassis of the Volkswagen Beetle. Piece production of the car (in various variants) was carried out till 1992.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpeg

Ford Thunderbird Town Landau

1.jpg

This "premium version" of the Ford Thunderbird coupe was released in 1981 in a limited series in honor of the 25th anniversary of the production of the Ford Thunderbird and was distinguished by the use of a more powerful engine (131 hp vs. 115 for the base version) and some cosmetical changes inside.

2.jpg

3.jpeg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

MG EX-E Concept car

1.jpeg

The mid-engine sport car was developed in 1985 by the employees of the British automobile company MG Cars. The concept was introduced in the same year to the public at the Frankfurt Motor Show

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Allard Clipper, a terrible "car" made by some British madman. 

0_1ca7fc_f6e05e5d_orig

Five-seater three-wheeled car Allard Clipper was created in 1953 by British inventor David Gottlieb. The car had a plastic body with an original layout: in front there were seats for three adults, rear - for two children. The car was driven by a motorcycle engine Villiers 346cc
   The car was put into production, however, because of problems with marketing, only 20 cars were produced

2.jpg

3.jpg

NSU Trapeze Concept car

1.jpg

NSU Trapeze was established in the early 1970s. The Italian studio of automobile design Bertone on the basis of serial car Ro80 of German automobile firm NSU. The presentation of Trapeze took place in 1973 at a motor show in Paris

2.jpg

Spoiler

3.jpg

CCBE-NSUTr-03

CCBE-NSUTr-05

CCBE-NSUTr-08

CCBE-NSUTr-07

CCBE-NSUTr-13

CCBE-NSUTr-15