Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Old Ironsides Now Only US Navy Ship To Have Sunk An Enemy Ship

Sturgeon

• 2 weeks later...

How many navies anywhere have sunk an enemy vessel in the past few decades? Sea combat doesn't play much of a part in bush wars, the only recent sinking that comes to mind is a south korean ship although I'm sure there's been a couple sunk off the coast of israel. Other than fishing vessels, what's the PLA sunk recently?

How many navies anywhere have sunk an enemy vessel in the past few decades? Sea combat doesn't play much of a part in bush wars, the only recent sinking that comes to mind is a south korean ship although I'm sure there's been a couple sunk off the coast of israel. Other than fishing vessels, what's the PLA sunk recently?

Quite a few pirate vessels in the Indian and South Pacific, though many of those may count as modified fishing vessels.

Obviously the Royal Navy vs. the Argentine Navy (ARA) although I'm not sure how many of those ships involved are still in commission. The submarine HMS Conqueror was decommissioned in 1990.

And then there are the naval battles between India and Pakistan including that of 1971 where a shit ton of Pakistani vessels were sunk by the Indians.

Wikipedia article cause I can't be bothered at the moment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Pakistani_Naval_War_of_1971

Obviously the Royal Navy vs. the Argentine Navy (ARA) although I'm not sure how many of those ships involved are still in commission. The submarine HMS Conqueror was decommissioned in 1990.

Even crediting sinkings from helicopter action to the ship that helicopter took off from, they're all well out of service. Argentina hasn't had the luxury of new vessels (and their falkland war era relics have a nasty habit of sinking at dock), but all of the british vessels sunk were at the hands of the argentinian air force

I think I might have another live one.

The Battle of the Paracel Islands between China and South Vietnam where the PLA Navy sunk a corvette and damaged three frigates. Again, Wikipedia because I'm running around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Paracel_Islands

The PLAN had a pair of Type 037 Sub chasers in the battle and it looks like that type of ship is still in the Chinese inventory according to Das  Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_037_corvette

So presumably one of the vessels which took part in this battle is still in active service. I'd defer to Khande's (and other's) knowledge on the matter though.

• 4 weeks later...