Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Bears can be total assholes. And other bear related news

Donward

7 hours ago, Donward said:

BAAAEEEYYYEEERRR!!! BOOOOOW (and arrow)

Guy was an idiot for surprising the bear like that. Should have made himself known a long time ago. I've ran blacks off of my camp site before. Just need to be loud an let the bear know where you are way in advance. 

They're default reaction when spooked is to charge.

4 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Guy was an idiot for surprising the bear like that. Should have made himself known a long time ago. I've ran blacks off of my camp site before. Just need to be loud an let the bear know where you are way in advance. 

Yeah. I was going to mention something similar but I couldn't let an opportunity pass to riff on the BAAAEEEYYYEEERRR NOOOOOOO theme of this thread.

Watching the vid, I first assumed the guy was hunting the bear. Then, looking at the bow and arrow setup, I was like, "God, I hope that dude isn't going to shoot a bear with those?" The guy must have been hunting grouse or something.

12 minutes ago, Donward said:

Yeah. I was going to mention something similar but I couldn't let an opportunity pass to riff on the BAAAEEEYYYEEERRR NOOOOOOO theme of this thread.

Watching the vid, I first assumed the guy was hunting the bear. Then, looking at the bow and arrow setup, I was like, "God, I hope that dude isn't going to shoot a bear with those?" The guy must have been hunting grouse or something.

Yeah, I think I read something posted by the guy in the video that he was just out after grouse or such sized game. I wouldn't trust that bow for black BEAR (Happy, @Sturgeon?)

If I had a perfect shot with my 55 pound recurve within twenty yards with amazing arrows and the bear was tied down and I had 5 friends taking aim with rifles behind me if I missed, then maybe I'd give it a whirl.

On 5/26/2017 at 6:57 AM, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

What's funny is this was a two-fer.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

https://gearjunkie.com/bear-kills-alaska-teen-trail-race

Bear Kills Alaska Teen During Trail Race

The 16-year-old victim texted his family that he was being chased by a bear during the race.

Dear lord.

I appreciate a good BAAAEEEYYYEEERRR NOOOOOOO!!! social media mention as much as the next man. But if you're getting chased by a bruin, Tweeting is the last thing you should do. Anchorage. *sad head shake*.

But as I mentioned elsewhere, the bears woke up mean and hungry this year.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017/06/20/bear-attacks-are-still-rare-in-anchorage-but-the-dynamics-of-sundays-fatal-mauling-stand-out-from-history/

Makes me glad I'm packing extra firepower this fishing season.

BAAAEEEYYYEEERRR!!!

D.O.A.!

Biologists shoot and kill black bear suspected in teen's mauling death. Had a recent gunshot wound to its jaw. Three other black bears in the area were also shot in the search.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wildlife/2017/06/21/biologists-shoot-kill-black-bear-suspected-in-fatal-attack-on-young-bird-ridge-runner/#8527

8 hours ago, Donward said:

Dear lord.

I appreciate a good BAAAEEEYYYEEERRR NOOOOOOO!!! social media mention as much as the next man. But if you're getting chased by a bruin, Tweeting is the last thing you should do. Anchorage. *sad head shake*.

But as I mentioned elsewhere, the bears woke up mean and hungry this year.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017/06/20/bear-attacks-are-still-rare-in-anchorage-but-the-dynamics-of-sundays-fatal-mauling-stand-out-from-history/

Makes me glad I'm packing extra firepower this fishing season.

Yeah, but think about it this way, you can either be dead, or dead and famous.

On 6/21/2017 at 9:01 PM, Donward said:

BAAAEEEYYYEEERRR!!!

D.O.A.!

Biologists shoot and kill black bear suspected in teen's mauling death. Had a recent gunshot wound to its jaw. Three other black bears in the area were also shot in the search.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wildlife/2017/06/21/biologists-shoot-kill-black-bear-suspected-in-fatal-attack-on-young-bird-ridge-runner/#8527

With a vengeance. I like it.

"Look, a black bear!"

"Is that the one that killed the kid?"

"Maybe?"

*shrugs*

BANG BANG BANG 

On 6/26/2017 at 7:01 PM, Donward said:

Alaska's innovative Meals on Wheels program continues to be popular with the state's bear population.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017/06/25/two-injured-in-separate-brown-bear-attacks-in-southcentral-alaska-saturday/

I was about 25 yards from a grizzly and three cubs when I did Tour Divide back in 2011. All I had was a glorified rape whistle, but it did the trick. Looking back, that was one of the scariest moments of my life. And only the fifth time I nearly died during that race. 

Bears are fast. I believe the common description is that they can outsprint a horse. If you're on a gravel road (MTB or CX bike) just out on a group ride, depending on pitch you could only be doing 17 mph average. 

Glad he's alive. I don't trust "Bear Bells" because they don't make a ton of sound. 

1 hour ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

http://juneauempire.com/news/2017-06-30/armed-11-year-old-boy-saves-fishing-party-charging-bear

11 year old puts a birdshot and 3 slugs into a brown bear. Kills the thing, and the Alaskan Fish and Game people are actually allowing him to keep the hide. Nice!

And no surprise the birdshot didn't do shit. Although we always load one or two "cheap" rounds in our guns to use as noise makers in case we need to scare a bruin off.

Also TFB needs to hire this kid to teach Patrick R the proper way to cycle a pump gun under pressure...

*sips Hudson Bay tea*

*Evil grin*