Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General PC games master race thread. Everything about games. EVERYTHING.

LoooSeR

8 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Right now I think there are exactly three sorts of games you don't want to make:

MOBA
Overwatch-clone

MMORPG

Wouldn't it be more accurate to call Overwatch a LoL/TF2 clone that somehow gets credited for inventing it's own genre of games because Blizzard can do no wrong?

59 minutes ago, Khand-e said:

Wouldn't it be more accurate to call Overwatch a LoL/TF2 clone that somehow gets credited for inventing it's own genre of games because Blizzard can do no wrong?

It's different.  Overwatch is a shooter first with a hint of MOBA flavor.  First person MOBAs are a pretty dubious idea.

Just now, Collimatrix said:

It's different.  Overwatch is a shooter first with a hint of MOBA flavor.  First person MOBAs are a pretty dubious idea.

TF2 is also a shooter, just without the MOBA shit added. hence why I compared it to TF2/LoL.

There's only one real ARTS anyway, It's called DotA 1 and 2.

24 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I'm confused, how is the new Quake an OW clone?

It's not an exact clone by any means, but there are some elements visible, like it being class based, characters having specific stats and hitboxes (seriously, what the fuck on the hit boxes) and special passive and active powers.

Literally, if they design it at all like any of the old quake games, people are just going to pick the really fast, agile characters with the smallest hitboxes, being fast in Quake is like the biggest advantage you can have like Rocketninja mentioned.

The problem is, when game developers take ideas from other, more popular games and add them to a completely different franchise to compete, it generally keeps following that trend. look at what happened to DOOMs multiplayer when they tried to make it DOOM meets CoD/Halo.

16 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Is it class based? I just watched the gameplay video.

Didn't the previous Quake games have hitboxes, too? I know UT definitely did, which is mostly what I played.

Yeah, but they were all the same size so in competitive play, you couldn't gain an advantage from picking a female character or something else with a smaller build. I can pretty much foresee now that no one will even pick the bigger, "tankier" heroes because being slow and having a larger hitbox will massively negate the advantages of more health as in Quake, speed and Agility are THE factors you want on a character (granted, these were all even in previous quake games, but as I was saying), losing that plus having a larger hitbox is just a target for getting you murderfucked by any of the smaller characters who can aim in the slightest.

10 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Oh you meant specific hitboxes, like particular to each class.

Yeah, I don't see that meshing well.

There's a very big reason the Lightning Gun and the Railgun are basically the top 2 most valued weapons in competitve quake (and the Rocket Launcher of course, the Grenade launcher is situationally really useful but that's missing) If you get those against an opponent who doesn't they simply can't openly trade with you without a pretty massive HP/Armor advantage and/or severely out playing you.