Sturgeon's House

The Saudi Arabia is a Backwards, Laughable Shithole Thread

Collimatrix

• 4 weeks later...

@Collimatrix, those were probably Shia Camels

Saudi Arabia Deports 15,000 Qatari Camels

also

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40346329

Saudi Arabia has said all camels and sheep owned by Qataris must leave its pastureland, in a growing row between Qatar and other Gulf states. Qatari officials say that about 15,000 camels and 10,000 sheep have already crossed the border.

This is just weird: McDonalds in Saudi Arabia give their oath of allegiance to Mohamed Bin Salman as Crown Prince

Google translation:

In the name of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger, and on hearing and obedience, we ask God Almighty for security and safety for our beloved Kingdom.

This is too good to not share!

@Sturgeon, @Priory_of_Sion, @Scolopax, @Bronezhilet, @Donward, @Meplat

So, when Burger King, Netflix, Apple and Amazon will pledge their loyalty to His Majesty Trump the 3rd?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Point of order, Khan says that the country he went to was not Saudi Arabia.  It sounds like the UAE.

Indeed. I'm extrapolating from his conclusion (growing inequality means that more countries will be like whereever-he-was) to the sad idea that the most awful (YMMV) of the middle eastern petro-autocracies is also the most vivid snapshot of our future.

3 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Indeed. I'm extrapolating from his conclusion (growing inequality means that more countries will be like whereever-he-was) to the sad idea that the most awful (YMMV) of the middle eastern petro-autocracies is also the most vivid snapshot of our future.

You have a pretty pessimistic view of the diversity of human culture if you think that awfulness tends to converge, rather than producing manifold local variations on the theme of awfulness.

What if large swathes of the future are like North Korea or Eritrea or Equatorial Guinea instead?  I don't think we're headed for a drab, uniform future that sucks.  I'm optimistic that we're headed for a future that will feature many different kinds of suck.