Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Rations, Socks, And Can Openers Thread

Sturgeon

The hipster use of it is annoying.  But I like paracord for camping.  It's a nice size rope for general use outdoors in general, I find.

Duct tape is life tho.

Yeah. If I need to tie down a tarp or something, it's alright. And I have bits and pieces of it here and there and usually have some in my backpack kit. On the other hand, if I want a rope, I get a rope and the right size rope needed for the job of stringing up - say - a 200 pound buck to field dress. Or if I want to have something to snare rabbits I get a piece of wire and clip. If I want boot laces, I buy boot laces.

I'm not saying the stuff is bad. It's just that the paracord fashion accessory is EVERYWHERE.

Yeah. If I need to tie down a tarp or something, it's alright. And I have bits and pieces of it here and there and usually have some in my backpack kit. On the other hand, if I want a rope, I get a rope and the right size rope needed for the job of stringing up - say - a 200 pound buck to field dress. Or if I want to have something to snare rabbits I get a piece of wire and clip. If I want boot laces, I buy boot laces.

I'm not saying the stuff is bad. It's just that the paracord fashion accessory is EVERYWHERE.

The problem with the "fad" of it, is it spawned a lot of fakery.  You'll find loads of "paracord" that is just a loose twist poly fill in the outer braid instead of the smaller tightly braided inner strands that made it a handy item to have.

Then you find people refusing the old style shroud leads that were a flat braid because "it's not real" . Yes, let's just ignore that I just now cut it from a demilled military canopy, while you scurry off to your favorite surplus store and source of silly hipster jeans to buy a wad of made in china OD sashcord..

I used to carry a length of 550 cord in my rucksack. We could get it easily from the riggers when I was in  the 82d but most supply sections had a spool or two laying around for the pilfering. 

Camo Paint

eo3c5Wj.jpg

Diesel fuel bug repellent

tSrVWYO.jpg

If you have even been in a airborne/light infantry unit, these save you much pain for chafe. 

UdTpPHT.jpg

And you are intimately familiar with these. 

lBrMQSS.jpg

And this. 

AvuVhbz.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We use the baby wipes like crazy while in Alaska fishing. Going a week without a shower, those things are god sends in allowing you to clean the nasty crevices of the human body. Lot of the old timers used bag balm for their hands although I never have. 

You should try it, it really is a good product.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...