Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Star Wars General Discussion Thread

Sturgeon

I found Rogue One underwhelming

Saw it. Have opinions. Will wait.

Saw it. Have opinions as well. Won't wait to say that it is officially now Star Wars canon that the Rebel Alliance = ISIS or the Taliban as many of us have suspected all along.

Also.

Worst pun in 35 years of filmmaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Rogue one.

Interesting that I liked it (flaws and all) and my wife loathed it.

Edit: having gone backwards and forwards on this a bit, it seems like the major reason for the wildly divergent opinions (which have cropped up amongst critics as well) is that this one is a war film rather than an adventure film. Not the best exemplar of the species, mind, but that's another story.

In as much as you like war films, you will like Rogue One (or like it more, anyway). In as much as you find them boring, tedious, characterless etc. you will loathe it.

I think this is a pretty decent (and brief) discussion of Rogue One:

One thing they left out was that Jyn does make the decision to go on the suicide mission to get the Death Star plans... But I don't know that's such a huge oversight because for some reason that decision doesn't feel very significant to me, even though it's literally a decision to throw her life away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't actually seen Rouge One yet.  I just don't really care all that much, despite having been obsessed with Star Wars as a kid.  My coworker and I were talking about it and we would like to see star wars spin off films directed by famous directors in their own style.  Imagine a film about a Jedi young-ling leaving the Jedi temple to pursue a teenage ice-queen directed by Wes Anderson.  Or a film about young Mace Windu (Samuel Jackson) who has to use his light saber to " kill absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes" directed by Tarantino.  And of course who would want to miss "Imperial Star Ship Troopers" directed by Paul Verhoeven?  Or how about a film young Jabba the Hutt by David Lynch?  I suspect a baby Hutt looks a bit like the baby in Eraserhead.  And finally, can we have a film about people who can only sexually climax while watching Deathstars explode directed by David Cronenberg?  

21 minutes ago, Donward said:

I think it is officially OK now to talk about Rogue One for those who have seen it without having worrying about spoilers.

Also it is rather indicative that none of us have felt the urge to talk about Rogue One despite it being out for 3 months.

I think this might become a recurring issue given the firehose of Star Wars films that will be released over the next few years.

Just now, Toxn said:

I think this might become a recurring issue given the firehose of Star Wars films that will be released over the next few years.

You might be right.

I liked Rogue One. Like all Star Wars movies, and many Hollywood movies in general, the scheme to get the Death Star plans was ridiculously complex. And we got to see cameos of characters from the original Star Wars film.

Plus the movie definitively proved that the Rebel Alliance = The Taliban.

And - bad pun aside - the three or four minutes with Darth Vader kicking ass at the end of the movie was what Star Wars fans have wanted to see for fucking FOUR DECADES.

As for the main Rebel characters themselves, I went into it knowing they were all essentially Red Shirts. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...