Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Panem et Circenses Thread

Have you ever wondered what it's like to play soccer under a radical Islamic theocracy?

Well wonder no more!

The players weren't allowed to wear logos or brand names on soccer shirts because the militants considered them to be idolatrous.

"I had to stand at the entrance of the pitch with scissors," said 31-year-old Mohammed Sadiq, who works at the soccer field. He then had to cut the logos of teams such as Real Madrid and Barcelona from the jerseys.

"They called them infidel logos," he said.

Soccer is very popular in Iraq and many people root for big European teams like Manchester United, Chelsea or Barcelona.

"We couldn't wear shorts. We had to wear trousers like this," said Obeyda Mohammed, pointing at a tracksuit one of his fellow players was wearing.

"But it had to be baggy, not tight. By the way, the brands and logos of companies like Adidas, Nike and the others were forbidden."

The militants also ordered the referees not to use whistles during the game "because the sound would make the devils gather," the players said.

Trophies and medals were also forbidden because it was thought that they would encourage greed. Tournaments could not be organized either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TIL Albie Lopez=Randy Johnson:

Rk   Pos            Name Age  W L W-L%  ERA  G GS GF CG CGSO SV    IP   H  R ER HR BB IBB  SO
1     SP  Curt Schilling  34 22 6 .786 2.98 35 35  0  6   1  0 256.2 237 86 85 37 39   0 293
2     SP  Randy Johnson*  37 21 6 .778 2.49 35 34  1  3   2  0 249.2 181 74 69 19 71   2 372
3     SP Brian Anderson*  29  4 9 .308 5.20 29 22  1  1   0  0 133.1 156 93 77 25 30   2  55
4     SP    Robert Ellis  30  6 5 .545 5.77 19 17  1  0   0  0  92.0 106 61 59 12 34   2  41
5     SP     Albie Lopez  29  4 7 .364 4.00 13 13  0  2   2  0  81.0  74 36 36 10 24   2  69

• 1 month later...

NBA Playoffs start today.

I really want to cheer for the Bulls but, considering we had a rough season and got 8th seed, my hopes aren't exactly high unless Wade recovers from his injury and gets back into form fast as hell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blue Jays fans accuse Seattle Mariners of price gouging.

http://mynorthwest.com/658158/blue-jays-fans-accuse-mariners-of-price-gouging-canadians-flocking-to-safeco-field/

Some fans are accusing the M’s of price gouging to take advantage of our neighbors to the north.

Much like the swallows returning to Capistrano, tens of thousands of Canadian baseball fans will pack Safeco Field for the three-game set getting underway Friday night.

@Belesarius

9 hours ago, Donward said:

Blue Jays fans accuse Seattle Mariners of price gouging.

http://mynorthwest.com/658158/blue-jays-fans-accuse-mariners-of-price-gouging-canadians-flocking-to-safeco-field/

Some fans are accusing the M’s of price gouging to take advantage of our neighbors to the north.

Much like the swallows returning to Capistrano, tens of thousands of Canadian baseball fans will pack Safeco Field for the three-game set getting underway Friday night.

@Belesarius

The Blue Jays are the Canadian national team at this point. It's a hell of a lot easier for the west coast fans to hit Safeco than Rogers Center.

On 2/7/2016 at 9:02 PM, Donward said:

The Broncos defense was pretty good. That situational pass rush seemed to get to Cam just at the right time. Honestly, I don't think Newton had his head in the game and one wonders how much partying the Panthers did this week. 

Conversely, this particular Broncos team has been to the big game before two years ago. And while they fell on their face against my Seahawks, these guys seemed hungry to redeem that performance. The Peyton Manning send-off storyline helped give some incentive to that. 

I like the game plan of the Broncos in that they didn't expect their offense to do too much. Their D gave the ball to the offense in good situations with the turnovers and Manning moved the ball just enough to get some field goals and the right number of TDs. 

And even though I'm not a big Coldplay fan, the halftime show was alright. It was basically just an homage to previous halftime shows and Coldplay, Bruno Mars and Bouncy didn't detract from that. Lady Gaga's National Anthem performance was pretty mediocre. 

Again, that Harry Nielson song is what makes it for that ad. Now, I'm not sure why Heinz feels the need to advertise because, it's fucking Ketchup. Who DOESN'T buy Heinz ketchup? Is there such a thing? Yeah, sure, there's Hunt's ketchup but it sucks. And there's the generic stuff for five cents less which is really just Heinz but with an off-brand name. Is there some other brand of ketchup which is cutting into the Heinz profit margin? The only thing that makes less sense is the Avocados from Mexico adverts. I mean, who goes to the store specifically looking for Mexican-grown avocados? And it's not like the store offers two different brands. They're avocados. You grab them and hopefully they're  not too hard or too mushy. If that's not good enough for you , go to the Whole Foods or your local farmer's market and they might have some California grown ones.

I actually buy another brand of ketchup on a regular basis, but that's because I was converted by a friend several years ago to team curry ketchup. I buy it from a German specialty grocery store along with bratwurst, though I buy the German bratwurst because there's no local retailers that bring in genuine Wisconsin bratwurst that I can find.

Couldn't agree more on the Avocados... Though I'm sure if I sat down and thought about it I could come up with a solid justification for giving Mexico my valuable avocado dollars over California!

When they're in season here we go through 2-3 a day between myself and my wife since I've found that ratcheting down my meat consumption during hot weather months is actually a quality of life improving pursuit for me.

I've also become mildly militant about using avocado oil for most of my frying needs. We bought some once on sale and were instant converts.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, now the NFL is intentionally trying to troll its fanbase and the American public.

Justin Timberlake to Perform Super Bowl Half Time Show.

You'd think after the devastation that has been wrecked on the NFL's ratings, sponsors, and bottomline with the National Anthem protests, that the League would go out of its way to book an overly patriotic act during its finale.

Nope.

Someone in the front office thought it would be swell to have the guy involved in flashing Janet Jackson's tit to the world.

Well, whatever happens, it will still be better than the halftime show put on by The Who during Super Bowl XLIV...

23 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

On a vaguely related note.....WTF did you guys do to the F1 this weekend?  :huh:

Damned good race though, gutted for Verstappen. 

I've only recently started to pay attention to F1 this last summer, but I haven't been able to watch any of the races since Belgium. I'm just keeping track of what's going on, same with baseball.