Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Vehicles of the PLA: Now with refreshing new topic title!

Khand-e

It destroyed by a 125mm HE round

125mm? are you sure? that looks like an extremely high angle hit and I'm not aware of any 125mm mortar systems.

Do you happen to have any information on what weapon system did it? (did they find the weapon in question?)

That photo actually answered alot as to why it looks like the roof was caved in yet was hit from the side (It looks like it makes sense when seen from that angle).

However, that shell looks like an HE round from a 2A46, it was fired from a tank? (It seems unlikely a Sprut AT gun would've been used.) If so, do you know if peacekeepers are going to be more heavily equipped and ready for armored threats after this incident?

That photo actually answered alot as to why it looks like the roof was caved in yet was hit from the side (It looks like it makes sense when seen from that angle).

However, that shell looks like an HE round from a 2A46, it was fired from a tank? (It seems unlikely a Sprut AT gun would've been used.) If so, do you know if peacekeepers are going to be more heavily equipped and ready for armored threats after this incident?

Yes,fire from T-72, AFAIK, but I am not sure if it was a friendly fire accident.

Hi, guys, I am a Chinese who happens to found here.

According to a friend of the manufacturer TieMa company (in English as Iron Horse, but I don't know if it uses such English name or sth else, this company builted these Type92 IFV, and this event makes a lot of Chinese blame them that they made a weak AFV that couldn't protect our soliders), the one that hit the Type92 is a 60mm mortar, and the roof armor where it hits is 5mm.

Hi, guys, I am a Chinese who happens to found here.

According to a friend of the manufacturer TieMa company (in English as Iron Horse, but I don't if it uses such English name or sth else, this company builted these Type92 IFV, and this event makes a lot of Chinese blame them that they made a weak AFV that couldn't protect our soliders), the one that hit the Type92 is a 60mm mortar, and the roof armor where it hits is 5mm.

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Anyway, are you sure about the Mortar claim? I thought it was plausible a mortar did it at first too, but after seeing Lightning posted the tail remains of what's clearly an HE shell for a 125mm Tank gun that was found at the site, I'm not so certain.

Anyway, I don't think the WZ551/Type92 is supposed to be heavily armored but just supposed to operate in low intensity operations, it reminds me of a bigger M113 (and is only 200kg heavier, so it can't be that much heavier armored), which is a vehicle that served a similar purpose in the US Armed Forces (among others) yet wasn't heavily armored at all, being able to be easily penetrated by .50/12.7mm AP fire.

I think a better solution would be to send heavier, high intensity conflict equipment if the situation in Sudan/South Sudan turns hotter.

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Anyway, are you sure about the Mortar claim? I thought it was plausible a mortar did it at first too, but after seeing Lightning posted the tail remains of what's clearly an HE shell for a 125mm Tank gun that was found at the site, I'm not so certain.

Anyway, I don't think the WZ551/Type92 is supposed to be heavily armored but just supposed to operate in low intensity operations, it reminds me of a bigger M113 (and is only 200kg heavier, so it can't be that much heavier armored), which is a vehicle that served a similar purpose in the US Armed Forces (among others) yet wasn't heavily armored at all, being able to be easily penetrated by .50/12.7mm AP fire.

I think a better solution would be to send heavier, high intensity conflict equipment if the situation in Sudan/South Sudan turns hotter.

Y, I know the tail, we saw it first from the Chinese peacekeeping force's official blog, who said they were attacked by an HEAT shell.

Then we compared the photo to all known shells and we found it is a 125mm HE  tail as well. But, as we all know: a 125mm shell can hardy hit the roof, and if it do, a 125mm HE will more likely to  tear the wheeled IFV apart instead of just a small hole.

And then we were told by the TieMa's staff that the blog made a mistake, that tail is from somewhere else (the blog simply release the photos as quickly as they can without think too much), not the one hit the IFV. The one hit the IFV is a 60mm mortar HE shell, and probably a Chinese made 60mm mortar HE shell. So TieMa official words is "a mortar shell less than 82mm".

A lot of Chinese people who knows nothing about AFV tech simply blamed that how can a "armored" vehcile couldn't resist a incoming shell and our soliders got hit and died.

Of course, we know that there is no way a wheeled APC/IFV can resist mortar's direct hit, and even Type04 IFV or some other Chinese tracked modern IFVs can hardy resist such hit else, so the best hope we have on such thing is a heavy APC based on Type59 (T-54A copy) tank which just tested this year (sorry there is no photo of this APC, just a offical list named it).

But what is even worse is the Sudan army got T-72AV MBT outside, what if they fire at us like this time for whatever misfire reason? Obviously even if we do have a Type59 tank based heavy APC, it still couldn't resist a 125mm APFSDS.

A lot of Chinese people who knows nothing about AFV tech simply blamed that how can a "armored" vehcile couldn't resist a incoming shell and our soliders got hit and died.

Of course, we know that there is no way a wheeled APC/IFV can resist mortar's direct hit, and even Type04 IFV or some other Chinese tracked modern IFVs can hardy resist such hit else, so the best hope we have on such thing is a heavy APC based on Type59 (T-54A copy) tank which just tested this year (sorry there is no photo of this APC, just a offical list named it).

But what is even worse is the Sudan army got T-72AV MBT outside, what if they fire at us like this time for whatever misfire reason? Obviously even if we do have a Type59 tank based heavy APC, it still couldn't resist a 125mm APFSDS.

To be fair, I highly doubt any APC or IFV system known is going to be armored enough to survive against 125mm APFSDS except for maybe the very latest with highly advanced ERA packages installed.

It would better to just send things like other tanks (Sudan proper is currently 4-0 against South Sudanese T-72Bs with their imported ZTZ96As) or advanced ATGM systems. (HJ-9B, HJ-8/HJ-11 and HJ-12) to deal with it if enemy armor starts becoming a problem.

To be fair, I highly doubt any APC or IFV system known is going to be armored enough to survive against 125mm APFSDS except for maybe the very latest with highly advanced ERA packages installed.

It would better to just send things like other tanks (Sudan proper is currently 4-0 against South Sudanese T-72Bs with their imported ZTZ96As) or advanced ATGM systems. (HJ-9B, HJ-8/HJ-11 and HJ-12) to deal with it if enemy armor starts becoming a problem.

Do you mean the whole Sudan (whatever side) has 4 T-72/ZTZ96 totaly?

Here is a interesting news, since obviously this event is a very bad reputation for Type92/WZ551, the TieMa( Type92/WZ551's manufacturer) has just released a new VN2C IFV which is basily a Type92/WZ551 with additional armor (SATNAG 4569 level3, 19 ton now instead of type92/WZ551's 12 ton) and 402hp new engine.

3tb_160720095502sfk4512293.jpg

Do you mean the whole Sudan (whatever side) has 4 T-72/ZTZ96 totaly?

Here is a interesting news, since obviously this event is a very bad reputation for Type92/WZ551, the TieMa( Type92/WZ551's manufacturer) has just released a new VN2C IFV which is basily a Type92/WZ551 with additional armor (SATNAG 4569 level3, 19 ton now instead of type92/WZ551's 12 ton) and 402hp new engine.

3tb_160720095502sfk4512293.jpg

No, there was a reported tank battle not too long ago where South Sudan lost 4 T-72B tanks to Sudan Proper's ZTZ96A tanks with no reported losses of their own (It's not known how many tanks Sudan Proper had involved in the attack, but they did come out on top). Other then that I haven't heard of any head on armor conflicts between Sudan proper and South Sudan.

Sorry, I should've clarified better.