Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Vehicles of the PLA: Now with refreshing new topic title!

Khand-e

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not surprising if some are already in service, earlier prototypes were already being tested in swampy areas and in the western/northwestern deserts, also high in the mountains.

Basically, mostly in places where a full weight MBT might struggle to fully function in.

Just a few notes, per Jeffery Lin, who's right most of the time, the barrel length is actually 7.5m (well, he initially said "over 7.5m", but that's really not very specific and I doubt it would be significantly higher then that or he'd imply it.) which would make the barrel caliber L/60 not L/70 (7.5m divided by 125mm = 60.)

That being said, looking at the original gun they do look similar but not identical. for reasons I'm not aware of the material of the barrel near the breech appears different or unpainted as It was darkened black on the original, it's a very distinct silver color now. Another noticeable difference is that the bore evacuator is near the front of the gun now, as opposed to original gun shown where it was closer the back instead, the muzzle brake appears unchanged though it's hard to see for sure with the photos given.

ViMk0HE.jpg

That's the only photo I know of on the original gun where the muzzle brake isn't covered with a tarp, and it's out of focus on said photo.

ancDQ3i.jpg

I guess it's plausible they changed some of the design details after experimenting with it going from a towed gun to a gun intended for a vehicle armament.

This is just a prototype gun for test use.

T-72%20autoloader.jpg

Someone (who can read Chinese) can explain what exactly is shown in this image? It compares the autoloader design of the T-72 to the autoloader design of what tank? Does it mean "upgraded T-72" or "improved design based on the T-72 autoloader"?

If the autoloader's of the Chinese Type 9X tanks would woork like that, the crew would be quite well protected. The projectiles are stored within an armored container below the turret ring, while the propellant charges are stored behind a layer of armor in the turret bustle, apparently with some blow-out panels.

This is some kind of fan made design, not sth that our tank really are or will be, in fact all Chinese 125mm gun MBTs so far are all using the stand T-72 autoloader system. Chinese tank designers believe that the real key to avoid explosion is a more reliable automatic fire suppression system, not a thin 20mm plate between ammo and crew (they believe if a APFSDS do penetrate the front armor, then this thin plate won't stop it else).

In this picture, the left part "标准的T-72设计" means "The stand T-72 design" ,as you can see it shows what happens to a common T-72 when it get penetrate; the right part shows this guy's "龙氏隔舱化T-72设计" (means "Dragon's compartment T-72 design") which he blieve will protect the crew better and blah.

950940_1000.jpg

PLA received number of new light tanks.

Looks like either wide field test or initial production run.

This is the PLA Army painted (not test anymore) Type 16 light tank (someone also called it Type 17, we don't know its real name as for now), it's going to field the 41th army (which bases in Southern China, Guangxi province).

• 3 weeks later...

Where is the gallery now.....

OK, here are some Chinese cold-war prototype tank.

1980s, Type 80 tank with welded turret,this is one of the first Chinese welded tank turrets, as you can see its quality isn't very well:

32755839612_c91b88beb5_b.jpg

32909549205_249d35827c_k.jpg

32066679004_ccfb2a61fa_h.jpg32868997946_e48e36e135_h.jpg

1970s, WZ122-6 tank (the 6th prototype of WZ122), this tank's design is effected by M48 tank we got from Vietnam, and armred with a 120mm L/48 smooth gun (not the German L44 gun or any kind of its copy, but a local developed low pressure tank gun, never used in any Chinese mass- produced tanks).

32755835462_f3375e1dc2_h.jpg

32785625631_a3efb522fc_h.jpg

32094784523_218fdb162b_h.jpg

WZ122-2 or WZ122-3 prototype:

32785536391_ab31423e3d_h.jpg

WZ132, if you are a WOT player, I believe you surely heared it already:

32785541821_616e5defc8_h.jpg

BK1851 prototype tank, it's a project started in 1985 which meant to use steering wheel driving and western engine & transmission parts.

32868993216_7ec0988da8_b.jpg

32755861032_f0841ed97e_c.jpg

11 hours ago, U-47 said:

Where is the gallery now.....

OK, here are some Chinese cold-war prototype tank.

1980s, Type 80 tank with welded turret,this is the first Chinese welded tank turret, as you can see its quality is very poor:

1) Why turrets of the Type 80 are different between those 2 sets of photos? Can you give more info about it?

2) Where are those tanks? Are they open for visit by mortals? :D Do you have more photos of WZ-111-6 and -1?

Some question asked from otvaga about those photos, can you anwer those as well:

Do you have any detail information of Storm-1? Some thinks that turret on the displayed vehicle is not original (from early Type 90) and 105 mm gun was installed by museum.

There is a model of Type 59 on a display in Beijing Museum with turbocharged engine and 1-piece cast turret, do you know what that tank is? 

12 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

1) Why turrets of the Type 80 are different between those 2 sets of photos? Can you give more info about it?

2) Where are those tanks? Are they open for visit by mortals? :D Do you have more photos of WZ-111-6 and -1?

Some question asked from otvaga about those photos, can you anwer those as well:

Do you have any detail information of Storm-1? Some thinks that turret on the displayed vehicle is not original (from early Type 90) and 105 mm gun was installed by museum.

There is a model of Type 59 on a display in Beijing Museum with turbocharged engine and 1-piece cast turret, do you know what that tank is? 

1, There isn't too much info about Type 80 welded turret, the only thing we know about is it is a steel turret (without any kind of special armor) for test use only. So it is safe to say they made more than one  prototype turrets.

2, These tanks are in Inner Mongolia First Machinery Group Corporation (plant 617) 's museum, only who were invited may visit there.

Here are more photos of WZ122-6:

32926555245_bab9ffa6f1_k.jpg

32886289256_2bf1c54813_b.jpg

32886289196_b70fbb87e8_b.jpg

About WZ122-1, we call it "三液样车" (in English: 3-hydraulic prototype, meaning hydraulic control + hydraulic transmission + hydraulic suspension), here are its photos:

32926473825_0e416701d9_b.jpg

32926473965_f955c43505_b.jpg

otvaga questions:

Storm-1 tank ( type85-I, and you all know type85-II which went to Pakistan service and PLA service) is not any kind of classified stuff in China, we know almost all of its common data, so, what they want to know ?

The turret is its original turret, I checked from  several sources. The gun isn't, this displayed vehicle didn't have any gun in the early years, the current gun is installed by the museum. BTW, Storm-1's original gun is 105mm.

I never heard of "type59 with  turbocharged engine and 1-piece cast turret", the only Chinese "1-piece cast turret" I know about is WZ122's turret. So could him upload some photos of it so I may know what tank he talk about?