Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Vehicles of the PLA: Now with refreshing new topic title!

Khand-e

Leo 2A6 have wedges like this, acting as spaced armor, but Chinese engineers made them better by adding ceramics/NERA blocks on top of those wedges, trying to damage HEAT jet or make it "interrupted", as i understand. If it is ceramics, it would also resist to APFSDS pretty well, causing deformation of tips/caps.

It's supposed to be some type of Ceramic/Cermet for the tiles though, what exactly they're made of is still a secret last I checked.

The purple "mounting" modular armor layer is HHS, with the actual green main armor itself being .... quite a few things sandwiched together.

Z9ibIFu.jpg

Older type 99 used in a weapons test, with roof cut open by presumably a thermal lance to observe the interior.

Note the visible composite layers even in the roof and once again, missing add on armor from the front and roof, the part in red usually being covered by this Roof wide though. ZTZ-99_Armor_Module.jpg

Do you know how much more gun depression Chinese designers managed to squeeze out of such turret designs, as ZTZ-99A/A2 have, compared to Soviet tanks? I feel that turrets have plenty of space for gun breech to be moved up.

There is part of turret frontal/roof that is visible under all that add-on cermaics, and it suggest a lot of room for gun breech.

BYn6dOg.jpg

20110711091716646.jpg

It's not surprising there's alot of area around the breech, as photos have shown the 99A2 can accept a high velocity 140mm gun with minimal modifications, though it's not certain if any 140mm gunned 99A2 have ever passed trials or are just test beds.

Also, the max gun depression is -8 degrees, The 99A2 still has a low turret and body profile so while it's better then older designs, It doesn't get that juicy -10 the Abrams gets.

I think China have those things while Russia don't because of all those treaties were signed with USA. Which means that China have ability to build them without having problems that we would have, even if our forces are interested in such weapon. Interesting to see how effective those systems are.

Guns? Where we're going we don't need guns.

Good video, but in all seriousness, being able to fire off a prepared remote charge without having to expose the shooter or being a much more visible static gun/launcher piece is a pretty good idea. =p

I don't see a real reasons to use this in actual combat. You can't just start to dig a mounting point of this rockets in the middle of the fight and that trying to aim it with some old and slow methods of pointing this thing at your enemy. If you have an actual ATGM with fast-deploying factory-made and tested mounting system this weapon become useless. It is some kind of partizan/insurgency rockets/mortars, rather than a guns and missiles for seriously equipped regular army.

It looks funny, but there is an interesting idea behind this cute vehicle:

199_76826_129780.jpg

111619_original.jpg

20131216103208384.jpg

ATGMs?

112454_original.jpg

MLRS system...

112666_original.jpg

This light vehicle can help to infantry to control vast amounts of China via being able to fit into Mi-8s and transported to remote areas of country.

7qbQ37W.jpg

Overall, this small vehicle reminds me 2 things:

luaz1901-03.jpeg

and this:

1257735504_04251e9345.jpg

I had one!

I don't see a real reasons to use this in actual combat. You can't just start to dig a mounting point of this rockets in the middle of the fight and that trying to aim it with some old and slow methods of pointing this thing at your enemy. If you have an actual ATGM with fast-deploying factory-made and tested mounting system this weapon become useless. It is some kind of partizan/insurgency rockets/mortars, rather than a guns and missiles for seriously equipped regular army.

It's more of an ambush weapon honestly as they're really hard to see for any advancing units.

It's more of an ambush weapon honestly as they're really hard to see for any advancing units.

Israelis also had serious problems agaisnt Hezbollah comrades with Kornets, which is not a small ATGM. Reason? Such weapons can be easily concealed anyway.

Israelis also had serious problems agaisnt Hezbollah comrades with Kornets, which is not a small ATGM. Reason? Such weapons can be easily concealed anyway.

They could always just set up a PF-98, HJ-8/11, HJ-12 or HJ-9B if they really wanted a static launcher. =p

They could always just set up a PF-98, HJ-8/11, HJ-12 or HJ-9B if they really wanted a static launcher. =p

Hezbollah ATGM teams were fairly mobile, i can't call Kornet a "static" weapon, even if a single soldier can't carry it. Damn it, Chinese forces have those 8x8 baby BTR-60 to carry that cr@p around!

Hezbollah ATGM teams were fairly mobile, i can't call Kornet a "static" weapon, even if a single soldier can't carry it. Damn it, Chinese forces have those 8x8 baby BTR-60 to carry that cr@p around!

And also the WZ-550!

wz550_002.jpg

(HJ-9B, up to 1400mm of RHAe penetration and a max range of 6km due to it's two stage design while being about twice as fast as a TOW missile or Kornet.)

Kornet subsonic speed is design feature - they didn't wanted to kick too much dust that will create problems for guidance systems (same idea was behind some other Soviet ATGMs and GL-ATGMs). And there is improved Kornet-EM, it was modified after 2006 Lebanon war. 

4bn4dugvzm6.jpg

Is there any info about HJ-9B guidance method?

WZ-550 is in same class as BRDM with Konkurs missiles - light AT vehicle for ambushes.

9P148.jpg

Althoug i feel that HJ-9B should be compared to Khrizantema ATGMs, or Ataka-T missiles.

Kornet subsonic speed is design feature - they didn't wanted to kick too much dust that will create problems for guidance systems (same idea was behind some other Soviet ATGMs and GL-ATGMs). And there is improved Kornet-EM, it was modified after 2006 Lebanon war. 

4bn4dugvzm6.jpg

Is there any info about HJ-9B guidance method?

WZ-550 is in same class as BRDM with Konkurs missiles - light AT vehicle for ambushes.

9P148.jpg

Althoug i feel that HJ-9B should be compared to Khrizantema ATGMs, or Ataka-T missiles.

The original is only laser beam riding, however the improved A and B variants can switch between laser beam riding or semi active MMR radar guidance depending on what would work better for the situation.

As I've said before, China has a fuckton of different SPAAG and other ground based AA designs, here's another.

PGZ-07 SPAAG, much like the PGZ-95 only missiles are optional and it has x2 35x228mm cannons (1,000-1,200 rpm x2) as opposed to x4 25x183mmR autocannons (750 rpm x4)

Not sure how I feel about this one since, while a 35mm shell can obviously do more damage and has a similar muzzle velocity, I think rate of fire and area coverage is a very important feature for an AA gun platform.

It does sort of disprove a myth that the PLA armed forces won't use a western cartridge caliber though.

PGZ-07_twin_35mm_self-propelled_anti-air

Y20OI.jpg

Not long time ago Russian forces tested programmable 30 mm rounds for Pantsir-1S cannons. I feel that proximity fuses or programmable fuses are better way to improve capabilities of AA system than RoF/caliber changes.

They actually do have semi guided SAPHEI and programmable/proximity fragmenting shells similar to the "AHEAD" shells made for the gun system.