Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Vehicles of the PLA: Now with refreshing new topic title!

Khand-e

13 hours ago, Akula_941 said:

3UULx0l.jpg

300rpm 76mm autocannon

i bet this is how this thing sounds like when it fire

I believe it is just a domesticated version of the AK-167, and that there was a video posted recently in the naval subsection of a stationary test gun firing.  I am not certain though.

6 hours ago, Lord_James said:

QN-506... ok, at least we get a name for it, or at least something to put on the graves of the poor souls whom would drive this thing into battle. 

Well, if it will be used only as missile/loitering munition carrier and launcher vehicle, then i am ok with design of this thing. Just don't do BMPT stuff.

The GAODE(GUIDE) DEFENCE mainly works on electric-optic techs such as IR and missle/rocket fuses, they almost have nothing experience in armored vehicle design, this shit was most likely made by themselves for a shining look, as for their main purpose, obviously for selling the rocket weapons systems. 

This "QN-506" is now the third "assymetrical combat specialized" vehicle together with the BMP-T and the future "Carmel".

Although this chinese vehicle being based on a T-54 derivative chassis i wonder about its protection capabilities while its weapon systems suggest a direct combat role against enemy infantry. The design seems contradictory.

But on the other side, it is equipped with technology (surveliance drones, for example) that the BMP-T should have.

The concept behind this new vehicle class is making its way to armies with close to no experience in hardcore urban combat. Interesting.

1 hour ago, alanch90 said:

This "QN-506" is now the third "assymetrical combat specialized" vehicle together with the BMP-T and the future "Carmel".

Although this chinese vehicle being based on a T-54 derivative chassis i wonder about its protection capabilities while its weapon systems suggest a direct combat role against enemy infantry. The design seems contradictory.

But on the other side, it is equipped with technology (surveliance drones, for example) that the BMP-T should have.

The concept behind this new vehicle class is making its way to armies with close to no experience in hardcore urban combat. Interesting.

I don't think you can count the Carmel until it actually exists.

1 hour ago, alanch90 said:

There is no such vehicle as BMP-T.

This Chinese company made contraption looks like less of direct combat vehicle, with that quadcopter UAV + loitering munitions combo it have. And yes, some random military companies want more money, no surprise here.

https://imp-navigator.livejournal.com/775565.html

2164055_original.jpg

So this machine turns out to be developed not by one of the major Chinese state corporations, but by one of the daring newcomers who are trying to break into the arms market. Perhaps at least one task of the Wuhan Guide Infrared was completed - many people will remembered them as a weapon developer, and not just a manufacturer of thermal imagers.

According to Chinese media, the QN-506 is a successful result of "military and civilian industrial cooperation." Since 2006, the PRC leadership has accelerated the process of civil integration, the commercialization of military technologies, for which it has been consistently implementing institutional reforms.
   QN-506 was developed by Wuhan Guide Infrared, a manufacturer of thermal imagers and surveillance systems based on its own thermal imaging modules. Founded in 1999, Wuhan Guide Infrared has 4 divisions: thermographic systems, commercial systems and government systems, OEM solutions. The company is ISO9001 certified, certified in accordance with international standards CE and GJB9001A. Guide Infrared has more than 1,500 employees, 600 of them in the field of research and development.

QN-506, which received the loud unofficial name "The New King of the Land War (character of the Japanese animated series Mobile Suit Gundam) is designed to effectively suppress enemy forces in urban areas and during counterterrorism operations.

I guess this is how cool name like "Terminator" sounds in Chinese, lol. I think when new and untested vehicles receive a cool sounding names, it can be a sign of manufacturers not being confident enough in qualities of their vehicles. 

The QN-506 is based on the Type 59 medium tank, on which the ZPT99 combat module is installed. The crew consists of 3 people, due to the high level of automation of weapons systems.

The combat weight of the machine is 30 tons, which is much lighter than that of the Type 59 tank. This, according to the developers of QN-506, makes it possible to upgrade the car in the future and further increase the armor protection.
   Universal combat module ZPT99 can be installed on tanks of Soviet and Russian production.

Basic armament consists of:
1. One 30-mm automatic cannon - clone of Soviet 2A72 cannon (ammunition load of 80 armor-piercing tracer and 120 high-explosive fragmentation cartridges)
2. 7.62-mm machine gun (ammunition load of 2000 rounds)

3. Two modular launchers with ammunition, which include: 4 QN-502 anti-tank guided missiles with a combined control mode developed by the Wuhan Guide Infrared, which have a stated range for hitting moving land and air targets at 6 kilometers and 20 70 mm QN-201 missiles

4. Four S570 missiles [loitering munitions]. Located in slanted launchers in the rear of the ZPT99 combat module.

5 Anti-personnel complex of active protection

6. Integrated drone with combat vehicle

In addition, the QN-506 is equipped with counter-sniper fighting devices.

Anti-infantry defencive system are claimed to be those things:

2166171_original.jpg

Drone:

2166488_original.jpg

Spoiler

2164383_original.jpg

I actually do like the turret of that, as far as BMPT-type turrets go, and the idea of having a large amount of small missiles for precision shots on targets that don't justify the big ATGMs also seems like a good idea. But that turret belongs on a VT-5 (maybe the older, heavier, but cheaper VT-2 if they really want to save money...) chassis, and needs to ditch that silly superstructure design.

1 minute ago, TokyoMorose said:

I actually do like the turret of that, as far as BMPT-type turrets go, and the idea of having a large amount of small missiles for precision shots on targets that don't justify the big ATGMs also seems like a good idea. But that turret belongs on a VT-5 (maybe the older, heavier, but cheaper VT-2 if they really want to save money...) chassis, and needs to ditch that silly superstructure design.

When you check the interior layout you realize that superstructure is necesary for the crew working space (lots of big screens and stuff to manage all the drones and smart weapons). Still, it weakens the already low protection of the vehicle.