Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Our first topic: Attack helicopters. They are undoubtedly awesome, but in a large-scale conventional war, will they be resilient enough to have a presence on the battlefield?

Yes, though modern AA system are formidable, attack helo's have so far and will continue to remain a powerful force both in terms of transport and offensive firepower for decades to come 

just like tanks, they only become an obsolete technology when the force using them is arguably incompetent 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://breakingdefense.com/2016/01/army-commission-pay-extra-to-keep-some-apaches-in-guard/

This is a consequence of retiring the OH-58 and not replacing it with another light recon helo.  The Apache now has to do recon and attack.

AH-64s have been moved to being "heavy recon" ever since the Battle of Karbala in 2003.

bImprr9.jpg

One I hadn't seen before...

12717712_1127591690585299_33464379498296

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZQpLsip3yE

• 2 weeks later...

The sad thing is, people who like the '58 have never seen an OH6 at work.

One of my uncles did two tours in vietnam as a UH-1 pilot. He wanted to buy an OH6 postwar, simply because of their survivability and agility.

The sad thing is, people who like the '58 have never seen an OH6 at work.

One of my uncles did two tours in vietnam as a UH-1 pilot. He wanted to buy an OH6 postwar, simply because of their survivability and agility.

The MD500 is still in use for snake eater insertion for a reason. It's an incredibly versatile and effective little bird.

Having said that, I am obligated to apologize for the JetRanger, as my father was a Navy SH-60B pilot who has more than a few hours in a TH-57. They are also fantastic aircraft.

I had a close working relationship with the 58D providing air defense suppression and lazing for their Hellfires. Great little helicopters.  

I remember one training mission I was doing with 1/10 Cav back in the 90s. I spotted some "enemy" vehicles around 2am and was reporting it up on the squadron net, when one of the 58D buzzed over me, landed about 300 meters from the "enemy" and the co pilot snuck over and stole all their maps right out of their vehicles and then flew off.  Hilarity. 

Also, the CH-47 was the scariest thing I ever rode in. I remember having some fluid leaking on me once and the crew chief said "if it stops, let me know".