Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

15 minutes ago, Beer said:

I suppose that it's meant to be a modernisation program, right? I can see it has the long wings of the legacy Mi-24, the old 3-blade rear rotor and retractable gear. 

IIRC this is export model, although parts can be used for modernization of RuAF copters. Also, you see wrong about wings - those are new ones without ATGM pylon on the tip, they are not Mi-24 wings.

2 hours ago, Beer said:

IMHO these are same old Mi-24 wings (the size and aerodynamic shape) only the ATGM pylons are replaced with self-defence containers. The Mi-35M wings are much shorter. 

If we are speaking about shape - yes, if function - not exactly. Mi-35Ms wings allow to carry 4 pods/weapon containers/assembles, Mi-24 - 6, Mi-35P is closer to usual 35Ms.

https://www.defencetalk.com/china-russia-sign-heavy-helicopter-deal-72511/

" China and Russia have fully agreed upon and signed a commercial contract on a joint heavy helicopter development project, said Miao Wei, China’s Minister of Industry and Information Technology, on Wednesday. "

" The joint heavy helicopter Miao referred to is dubbed “Advanced Heavy Lift.” It is expected to be 40-ton class, with a weight-lift capability of 15 tons, a range of 630 kilometers and a top speed of 300 kilometers an hour, Russian news channel RT previously reported. "

30 minutes ago, Beer said:

That Mi-38 looks huge side by side with the Mi-17. I guess it has been discussed a lot already but was it supposed to be a successor of Mi-17 when it was started? If so why it's so much bigger? 

Space inside. In Mi-8 it is partilly used by fuel tank, 38T is supposed to have clear and bigger cargo space AFAIK + more powerfull engines.

4 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Space inside. In Mi-8 it is partilly used by fuel tank, 38T is supposed to have clear and bigger cargo space AFAIK + more powerfull engines.

Thanks but I meant if such big cargo capacity is actually needed for a Mi-17 successor? Mi-17 is IMHO already too large for many operations which it is being used for because there is no suitable smaller thing (maybe the new Ka-62 can take this role in the future). 

3 minutes ago, Beer said:

Thanks but I meant if such big cargo capacity is actually needed for a Mi-17 successor? Mi-17 is IMHO already too large for many operations which it is being used for because there is no suitable smaller thing (maybe the new Ka-62 can take this role in the future). 

Don't know for sure, but AFAIK Mi-8 is not enough for militaries for some of their new vehicles.

The first eight Boeing AH-64E Apache Guardian officially adopted by the Indian Air Force. The ceremony was held on September 3 at the base of Pathankot in Punjab (50 km from the border with Pakistan)

According to Air Force Chief of Staff Birender Singh Dhanoa attending the event, the AH-64E will replace the aging Mi-35s and play a key role in modernizing India’s aircraft fleet.

K9WNvbC.jpg

Spoiler

R8Jgpxt.jpg

RNtza1r.jpg

1Pz85sQ.jpg

gF8etLC.jpg