Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Naval Action (age of sail game awareness raising, not an effort post)

Vanagandr

Now in the Steam store; a romantic comedy about ships of wood, sails of cloth, and men of iron (if you know what I mean). Very beautiful game but the grind is real and it can take an obnoxious amount of time to get from one point to another. Chief selling points are 'age of sail', trading mechanics (which will hopefully become less broken), and very pretty.

The price is definitely high, but there's not that many alternatives if you want to get your sail on. I was reading the Hornblower series when I saw it, and no force in heaven or hell could save my wallet at that point. If anyone does want to add me, my in-game is Fenrir, sailing for US because I'm mainstream, unoriginal, and boring.

It's not quite months to get a frigate, but you spend more time in a cutter than you would like. I'd guesstimate it might be 15 minutes per battle, 70 xp per battle, 1000 xp to reach junior lt, another 1000 xp to reach second lt, 1500 to reach first lt, and then you can finally fully crew a frigate. I got a frigate by my second day I think, but I put in a looot of time into it those two days.

You can control the aft and stern rigs manually and independently in square rigged ships in order to tack more efficiently, individual gun decks can be toggled to fire or not during broadsides, ranging shots are a mechanic, shots under the waterline will cause water to pour in if you're listing to that side, and WoT style penetration mechanics. Most unrealistic thing currently is the physics for ramming, and following that, that your crew cannot be told to fire when the guns bear, but it's really the most realistic age of sail game that could be hoped for I think.