Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace and Ordnance discussion/news.

Belesarius

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Beer said:

To me it looks like this missile is rather slow (large wings, turbojet engine), i.e. probably not useful for engaging jets. Still probably good for UAVs or helicopters. 

Not sure about perfomance of this missile, but loitering AA missile possible purpose is to area denial for UAV. Missile is being fired when drone is spotted in area, but exact location is unknown, IMO.

2 hours ago, Beer said:

To me it looks like this missile is rather slow (large wings, turbojet engine), i.e. probably not useful for engaging jets. Still probably good for UAVs or helicopters. 

Heh, found claims that it managed to shot down a jet.

"At the moment, we know of one successful case of the missile's combat use. On February 14 of this year, a "product 358" shot down a Saudi Tornado IDS in Marib."

16 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Not sure about perfomance of this missile, but loitering AA missile possible purpose is to area denial for UAV. Missile is being fired when drone is spotted in area, but exact location is unknown, IMO.

without knowing the size of the missle, I'm guessing they could launch it from the back of a Toyota...

And ferry them around using a motorbike.   perhaps launch from rooftop like oversize manpad.

3 hours ago, Kal said:

without knowing the size of the missle, I'm guessing they could launch it from the back of a Toyota...

And ferry them around using a motorbike.   perhaps launch from rooftop like oversize manpad.

Missile is about 2.75 meters long IIRC. According to NYT article, missile could be launched from crude mounts, it have a booster to facilitate that.

3 hours ago, Kal said:

Iranian copy of it, AFAIK. I think i already posted about engine of that thing back in February.

28 minutes ago, Beer said:

From that pdf: Max- thrust 392N, maximum operating altitude 8000 m, maximum speed 1000 km/h. 

Hard to believe they could hit a Tornado with that. 

358 could have been already in the air, loitering, and attacking any plane from frontal arc doesn't require high speed.

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

358 could have been already in the air, loitering, and attacking any plane from frontal arc doesn't require high speed.

IMHO that missile is way too slow for that. It could hit basically only if the jet would fly directly against it in the same altitude. Even to get into a scenario like that would be such an extremely lucky coincidence that I can't believe it actually happened. I mean, in theory it's possible but only in theory. 

24 minutes ago, Beer said:

IMHO that missile is way too slow for that. It could hit basically only if the jet would fly directly against it in the same altitude. Even to get into a scenario like that would be such an extremely lucky coincidence that I can't believe it actually happened. I mean, in theory it's possible but only in theory. 

Do you think planes are doing max speed all the time they fly over Yemen? There are videos of Saudi jets speeding up and hitting afterburners when they detected incoming missile. 

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

Do you think planes are doing max speed all the time they fly over Yemen? There are videos of Saudi jets speeding up and hitting afterburners when they detected incoming missile. 

No, but that doesn't change a thing on what I wrote. 

Cruise speed of Tornado is somewhere between 900-1000 km/h. It means that such target (flying strictly straight) can be hit by something flying the same speed without advanced guidance by radar only on purely theoretical conditions (even with the radar it's near impossible), i.e. when the target and the missile somehow manage to get to fly near directly against each other in the near same altitude. The probability of such encounter is close to zero. 

There is a reason why every existing AA missile is way faster than that (and IR guided missiles especially). 

The deeply modernized missile carrier Tu-160M performed its maiden flight with new engines.

At the KAZ airfield. S.P. Gorbunov, a branch of Tupolev PJSC (part of PJSC UAC of Rostec State Corporation), the first flight of the deeply modernized Tu-160M missile carrier with new serial NK-32-02 engines took place. The plane was piloted by a crew led by Anri Naskidyants. The flight took place at an altitude of 6,000 meters and lasted 2 hours and 20 minutes. During the flight, the necessary checks were performed on the updated general aircraft systems and on-board electronic equipment installed as part of a deep modernization of the aircraft, as well as the performance of the new NK-32 series 02 engine, developed and manufactured by the United Engine Corporation (as part of the Rostec State Corporation). According to the crew's data, the flight proceeded normally, the systems and equipment worked without any comments.

As reported, the production of Tu-160 strategic missile carriers, which are the air component of the nuclear triad, is being restored at the Kazan aircraft plant after a 10-year hiatus.

On February 2, the first flight of the deeply modernized "strategist" Tu-160M "Igor Sikorsky", created on the basis of a combat aircraft, took place. Earlier, the Ministry of Defense announced plans to modernize all 16 Tu-160 aircraft in service with the Russian Aerospace Forces.

In addition, on January 25, 2018, a state contract was signed between the Russian Defense Ministry and the Tupolev company for the supply of the first batch of Tu-160M strategic bombers - it provides for the production of 10 aircraft worth 15 billion rubles each.

N77-XAFt1-H8

Spoiler

3-Uq-Ds-Hc8pec

• 2 weeks later...