Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The "Toxn Is Wrong About Hog Hunting" Thread

Sturgeon

So for hog hunting should I leave the G3 at home and take a Mauser now? I mean, I'm pretty fast with a bolt gun, but for packs of 25-30 hogs I would prefer select-fire goodness. Would this trigger people?

Do a pig-shooting run-and-gun and see.

RE tactics: I chatted with some of my collegues regarding pig hunting (warthog and bushpig, in this case) and they recommended driving the animals as a good strategy (although they weren't entirely comfortable with it). This is especially useful with bush pigs, because they avoid open ground wherever possible. So add that to the pile of possible approaches here.

A G3 with modern expanding bullets actually sounds like a good gun for hogs. 7.62x51 might be a little light for some of the bigger bastards that I've seen though.  How big are the ones you usually hunt Alex?

Seconded on both counts. How big do you expect these animals to be?

I should mention here that I met a dude years back who successfully hunted a bush pig using a 1911. But that was an animal in the small deer range. And even then, there's a reason he was notable for doing so.

For a foreign analog in pest eradication, look at how the Australians dispatch their feral donkey population.

It's only wiki, but they appear to mainly use the helicopter technique, but with highly trained shooters that require certification of some sort.

I went hog hunting back a couple years ago during my freshmen year of high school, but instead of shooting the piggies I was suppose to go wrangle/tackle it because thats more fun. What happened is the dogs that were supposed to corner the hogs just ran out into the woods and never came back, so my dad and his hog wrangling buddy went out to go fetch the dogs. Meanwhile I just sat in the back of a truck for about 3 hours in the middle of bumfuck nowhere until like 5 A.M., but at least I "exceeded" the English final I had that morning. 

I would have much preferred just shooting the piggies. 

Seconded on both counts. How big do you expect these animals to be?

I should mention here that I met a dude years back who successfully hunted a bush pig using a 1911. But that was an animal in the small deer range. And even then, there's a reason he was notable for doing so.

They range from piglets to hogzilla, but 100 kg is usually considered a large hog.

Skip to 3:25 in this video:

That is about what you see when you go hog hunting here. If you hope to bag more than 2 or so, having a machine gun is terrific.

Hunting seems like the solution for the immediate local problem. Get them off of farmland, cull local populations, etc. The problem is that indiscriminate (in the sense of hunting in a way that doesn't target long-term population control) killing creates a problem in that you're not really targeting their breeding or their overall population.

So I've been reading about their introduction into the wild. Several different species of hog were transferred to the wild, but the most famous one that we're talking about is the Eurasian boar. The term "boar" may be misleading, as we normally think of the armored tanks hiding deep in the jungle when these guys share more with domesticated pigs than anything. They've been introduced into the wild intentionally and unintentionally for over 100 years (It's been illegal to do so for several decades). They breed early, quickly, and often, with roaming adult males mating with "communes" of females. The more I read about the issue, the more law enforcement might be one of the most important parts to keep people from illegally releasing the animals.

So the problem with the aerial hunting on my end is that unless they're specifically targeting to reduce the numbers, it seems like wasted effort and resources until I'm proven otherwise. There are ways of controlling this type of thing, like introducing reproductive suppression or territoriality.

So for hog hunting should I leave the G3 at home and take a Mauser now? I mean, I'm pretty fast with a bolt gun, but for packs of 25-30 hogs I would prefer select-fire goodness. Would this trigger people?

What ever you do make sure you don't use 5.56, because as we all know 5.56 was made to wound and not kill.

I'm fully down with suppressors, the use of "assault rifles" like the G3, any caliber of rifle from .223 on up, thermals and night vision, baiting and what not.

It's just the use of a machine gun that has me a bit edgy.

Also, on the Galapagos Islands, they used helicopters and "Judas goats" in order to cull off the wild goat population. But there you had professionals who used a rifle. I posted the video of that here somewhere.

I'm not sure, but is there a point where it really doesn't matter how the hit is it's going to be lethal? Cause if a KPVT is what it takes to make utterly sure but it does make things utterly sure and the things have got to go, then I'm going to suggest we make Tied a happy happy man.

• 2 weeks later...

Every argument Toxn has offered is asinine and alight by the glow of his glorious ignorance on the subject at hand. 

http://phys.org/news/2014-10-helicopter-humane-camels.html

There are many, many things on this earth we kill from helicopters for culling. It's fast, effective, and there's money in it. 

If anyone on this forum simply dislikes the prospect, then they can take their delicate lilac scented feelings somewhere else. Maybe to a place where dumb opinions can be used to cull invasive species. 

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The Fairfax County Police Department is putting residents at risk by culling white tail deer with pea-shooter AR-15s. I can only think of the carnage which will ensue when enraged white tail deer go on a rampage after being wounded by a round that is basically just a .22 plinker.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Residents-Concerned-About-Fairfax-Countys-Plan-Use-AR-15s-Control-Deer-Population-456541813.html

"Even though the police say they shoot down as it’s supposed to be safe, we just feel that you can’t ever rule out weapons malfunction or human error," Alexandria resident Nancy Schoenig told News4. "Would you want somebody firing an AR-15 near your house? I mean think about it."

Police said they do not shoot in the direction of homes.

2 hours ago, Donward said:

The Fairfax County Police Department is putting residents at risk by culling white tail deer with pea-shooter AR-15s. I can only think of the carnage which will ensue when enraged white tail deer go on a rampage after being wounded by a round that is basically just a .22 plinker.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Residents-Concerned-About-Fairfax-Countys-Plan-Use-AR-15s-Control-Deer-Population-456541813.html

"Even though the police say they shoot down as it’s supposed to be safe, we just feel that you can’t ever rule out weapons malfunction or human error," Alexandria resident Nancy Schoenig told News4. "Would you want somebody firing an AR-15 near your house? I mean think about it."

Police said they do not shoot in the direction of homes.

Yeah, we better give them all 45-70 lever guns. 

What's that word you keep using? Over-what? Over... penetration? Naw, never heard of it...