Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The "Toxn Is Wrong About Hog Hunting" Thread

Sturgeon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Sturgeon said:

You let them go on the beautiful hog preserve where they live happily ever after!

A preserve where hundreds upon thousands of hogs are all together in a small enclosed space so they can be happy and healthy for the rest of their lives!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1414129/League-Against-Cruel-Sports-accused-of-starving-deer-on-its-own-sanctuary.html

League Against Cruel Sports accused of starving deer on its own sanctuary

By Daniel Foggo

12:01AM GMT 24 Nov 2002

Dozens of deer are dying of starvation and disease on a sanctuary owned by the League Against Cruel Sports because the anti-hunting group refuses to allow any form of culling.

Shocking pictures, showing the desperate condition of deer at the Baronsdown sanctuary near Dulverton in Somerset, have been passed to The Telegraph by the league's own deerstalker in an attempt to force the group to manage the animals humanely.

Gordon Pearce, who has been employed by the league for more than 30 years to put down injured or diseased red deer, claims that his employers have ignored his repeated warnings that some old or diseased animals must be culled to prevent others in the 350-strong herd from dying of starvation or disease.

Mr Pearce says that in the 12 months to April this year, 107 deer were found dead or dying at the 225-acre sanctuary, which was set up in 1959 to prevent deer being killed by hunts.

"The majority of the call-outs I have attended have been for deer which were starving," he said. "If these were farm animals the league would be prosecuted for neglect. As the population has increased, the deers' condition has deteriorated dramatically. The problem has been growing over the last few years so that now I feel compelled to speak out publicly.

"Half of them need to be culled so that the others are given a chance to be healthy. The general condition of the deer is such that if they were mine I would not want a friend to see them because I would be ashamed. They are listless, barely able to get up when people approach. The state they are kept in is cruel, it is that simple."

As the population mounted and the health of the herd declined, Mr Pearce - himself an opponent of hunting - drew his concerns about their health to Douglas Batchelor, the league's chief executive.

Mr Pearce said: "I told Douglas Batchelor about the problems with the deer and said they could not just give them hay because they needed more food. Some of the land should be ploughed and swedes planted and there should be more pasture provided.

"I also told him the deer were becoming interbred because the stags were serving their own daughters and granddaughters. The deer were becoming smaller as a result.

"He did assure me he would mention it to the league's committee and tell me what they decided but when I called him later he told me to mind my own business.

"When I said that I would go public, he told me that what I was doing was political. I have been trying to bring this to their attention for four years and they have just laughed in my face."

Worries over the welfare of the deer were voiced at the league's annual general meeting in March last year. Minutes of the meeting read: "The unnatural concentration of deer on the sanctuary will eventually lead to deer health problems more commonly associated with deer farming.

"One possible course of action would be to commission a report from a reputable and independent expert on the 'management' options open to the league with regard to the wild deer population and the development of a 'deer plan' for the sanctuaries." The league subsequently decided that it did not have a problem.

Mr Pearce, who at 72 has nearly six decades of deer management experience, including having worked intermittently for the league since the 1960s, took photographs showing the poor state of the animals he has been forced to put down.

"In most cases the deer were so malnourished they could not get up," he said. "On one occasion a league worker called me to say a big stag had a broken back leg but that I could not shoot it until the sanctuary manager, Paul Tilsley, said okay.

"But he was on his way to London. By the time he got back and agreed the stag had to be shot it was nearly two weeks later and for all that time it had been in agony, with a broken leg.

"Everything had to be put to the league committee in London, which is no way to run a deer sanctuary in my opinion. Paul does not want any animal to die and I can appreciate that entirely, but I question whether a man who is very sentimental like that should make a decision on whether an animal in pain should be despatched."

Some of the deer, which are not restricted to the sanctuary but return to it to feed, have also been found dead on adjacent land. Diana Scott, joint master of the Devon and Somerset Staghounds which are kennelled nearby, said: "We have perceived there is a problem with the health of the deer at Baronsdown for a while but Mr Pearce has produced the most compelling evidence yet.

"He does not support hunting and to come out and criticise the league he must have been desperate."

Simon Hart, the director of the campaign for hunting with the Countryside Alliance, said that the state of the deer at Baronsdown provided an example of what could happen to the general fox population if hunting is banned.

He said: "What this shows is that the so-called management alternatives put forward by the league for life after a hunting ban lead to an increase in suffering for wild animals. It is a glaring example of what not to do."

Mr Batchelor said: "Gordon Pearce brought his views to our attention. We have listened to what he's said, looked at our land and its carrying capacity, looked at the number of deer on it and the health of them and come to the conclusion that we do not need to cull any deer.

"Therefore we have not taken his advice. We have listened to his views but we disagree with him. Nature is the biggest controller of deer populations due to the weather, basically. If it's cold and wet you will get losses due to hypothermia and those tend to be in the younger animals.

"We asked the British Deer Society to look at what we were doing about two years ago and they found they were in good health. I must admit we didn't repeat that exercise following Gordon Pearce's comments.

"The guts of it is that they are wild deer and we provide a sanctuary. People say, 'You should manage your deer', but we don't see the need to manage by elimination."

The League Against Cruel Sports was founded in 1924 by disgruntled members of the RSPCA. It lobbies politicians to press for a ban on hunting with dogs.

.....Oh....

As you may know from my other posts, in the years since that was published urban foxes have indeed become a problem in the UK.  :rolleyes:

At the moment it's badgers that are the local hassle.....Some new houses were built disturbing a long established set, so the badgers migrated downriver, straight into the territory of the existing long established set, squabbles were had, fur flew, a couple of cats disappeared (their heads eventually turned up).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can update this thread a little.

So I have a working cattle ranch with about 40 head. There used to be more deer and turkey than you could imagine. Limiting out every year was easy and it was awesome. Then a few months ago we got infested. All the deer are gone. The turkeys have also disappeared because the pigs dominate the feeders, acorns, pecans, etc:

auyATuv.jpg

pKPKkjb.jpg

YiAhng2.jpg

5Gymv4o.jpg

I can not kill them fast enough no matter what. I have tried night vision, machine guns, machineguns with night vision, thermal, multiple people blasting away. Nothing works and our once beautiful land is being torn to shit by these animals.

So I hired a professional trapper for $600 one time setup fee and $20 per pig trapped/snared. He worked for the US Fish and Wildlife dept for 35+ years and I am optimistic he can solve the problem. Hunting hogs is fun but they are multiplying like crazy, running off game animals, and destroying land. Lets see what the trapper can do.

There was a research position I was looking into this past fall regarding wild hog management and tracking.  One of the main things they were looking at, if I recall right, is if hunting is also having a somewhat detrimental effect.  The thought was that killing a few from a group and having the rest scatter is basically causing the things to disperse more.  Coupled with their notorious ability to make baby piggies, this would possibly mean that they're able to expand their range faster.

Obviously hunting is needed to keep their numbers down, but this kind of points to the fact of how hard these pigs are to handle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 2:27 PM, Sturgeon said:

I will be excited to know whether you have more success with a trapper.

So we had one mega-hog that was big and mean enough to keep all the sow herds out of the trap. He was trapped, shot in the face, and hauled out so the coyotes and buzzards could finish the job:

1qubOe4.jpg

Not but a few nights later we caught the first sow herd:

feCn9z5.jpg

And they were promptly loaded up and taken to some exotic meat guy in the city who exports most of it to Europe. For some reasons Europeans view these as exotic and desirable. Protip to the Euro dudes on here, don't but this shit. It is pretty disgusting:

u1szYcV.jpg

So 32 hogs were trapped here but there are more sow herds to get, and the remaining boars must be hunted one by one.