Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General artillery, SPGs, MLRS and long range ATGMs thread.

LoooSeR

On 10/17/2016 at 8:11 AM, LoooSeR said:

Hawkeye (light SPG with 105 mm howitzer) weight of the gun system - less than 1100 kg.

0j1qX73436Q-696x522.jpg

More news on Hawkeye here.

According to the article, a big part of this design is getting the peak recoil impulse low enough that the howitzer can be mounted onto a light vehicle like a humvee.  They don't say exactly how they accomplish this, but if you watch the video, there's a bit of a clue.  @Sturgeon, this is another example of a design where the barrel travels forwards before firing.

I suspect that there will be more weapons systems like this in the future.  It doesn't really do much that existing US artillery systems cannot do, but the logistical footprint is smaller.  Right now there is not much political will to send soldiers from Western countries into combat in third-world shitholes.  But there is plenty of political will to arm gangs of thugs in third world shitholes to fight on behalf of Western governments.  This sort of high-performance technical lends itself to that kind of combat.

9 minutes ago, Toimisto said:

Why did china change from 152mm to 155mm artillery, seems strange to me to "abandon" a large amount of stockpiled ammunition.  Also why does russian 152mm artillery use cases instead of bagged charges?

Presumably to match up its ammunition quality and firepower with that of NATO. They had no issue introducing NATO standard ammunition before, such as a 120mm gun for the PTZ-89 or a 105mm for numerous MBTs, including the latest VT-5.

On 01.10.2017 at 4:22 PM, Mighty_Zuk said:

Presumably to match up its ammunition quality and firepower with that of NATO. They had no issue introducing NATO standard ammunition before, such as a 120mm gun for the PTZ-89 or a 105mm for numerous MBTs, including the latest VT-5.

NVM me. Apparently brains cannot into though .

On 10/1/2017 at 4:49 PM, That_Baka said:

Yeah apparently designing good ammo is hard especially without experience of soviets/russians and West. So Chinese  cleverly chose "why not both" and hooked up to both western and russian design schools to shore up their weaknesses .As 155 mm chinesse gain benefits of NATO standartisation so new more effective designs quickly spreaded and istead developing entirely new rounds they can either make it better or use moonies on new more effective designs

You do realise that a significant chunk of ballistics research is done in China, right? I already lost count at how many times I raged because an exciting paper was only available in Chinese.

I mean, there's probably a reason that the first International Conference on Defence Technology is held in China.

On 10/1/2017 at 8:49 AM, That_Baka said:

Yeah apparently designing good ammo is hard especially without experience of soviets/russians and West. So Chinese  cleverly chose "why not both" and hooked up to both western and russian design schools to shore up their weaknesses .As 155 mm chinesse gain benefits of NATO standartisation so new more effective designs quickly spreaded and istead developing entirely new rounds they can either make it better or use moonies on new more effective designs

Lol yes because clearly those dumb Chinese can't possibly figure out the impossible task of ordnance design, neve rmind that a fuckload of research on new and experimental designs you'll find are done in China and organizations like the IBS have like half their members based out of China, they just can't figure out munition design!

Can you not post dumb assumptions that have no backing in reality? it would really help lower the bullshit quota on this forum, thanks.

21 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

You do realise that a significant chunk of ballistics research is done in China, right? I already lost count at how many times I raged because an exciting paper was only available in Chinese.

I mean, there's probably a reason that the first International Conference on Defence Technology is held in China.

Oh good to know .Yeah Chinese made strives ans breakthrough as of lately. I too interested what chinese cook up lately .

21 hours ago, Khand-e said:

Lol yes because clearly those dumb Chinese can't possibly figure out the impossible task of ordnance design, neve rmind that a fuckload of research on new and experimental designs you'll find are done in China and organizations like the IBS have like half their members based out of China, they just can't figure out munition design!

Can you not post dumb assumptions that have no backing in reality? it would really help lower the bullshit quota on this forum, thanks.

Sorry to disappoint then . I really meant no insult . Most of it is extremelly poor choice of words however which i strive to correct . Therefore interesting source about source about chinese weapon R & D process would be very appreciated. 

On 10/4/2017 at 3:56 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That old language barrier thing.  ;)

Think of a topic you want, I'll get you a paper or 20 on it.

(You have to be a student or professor at that particular University though, and only those who are seen as the best prospects get access to said university.)