Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General artillery, SPGs, MLRS and long range ATGMs thread.

LoooSeR

7 hours ago, Laser Shark said:

With the introduction of the new K9 Thunder SPG and BONUS anti armour munition, the Norwegian Army finally has the tools it needs to defeat the Wehrmacht:

fFKKw7k.jpg

Norwegian article with more K9 footage: https://forsvaret.no/aktuelt/her-er-k9-thunder

Something makes me believe the star of david-shaped explosion was intentional. 

New artillery simulator for the M109 Doher was unveiled today, after already serving for 2 months, and with another one coming up. One for reservists, one for active servicemen.

This is a battery-sized simulator that uses 6 real howitzers that had their cannons removed and swapped, and allows firing up to 450 shells per training session.

Every session lasts for 24 hours and is split into 2 days (I think they meant 450 per day, not per session).

The simulator also includes the command vehicle.

simulator2.jpg?width=1002&height=669

Spoiler

simulator3.jpg?width=999&height=668

Spoiler

simulator5.jpg?width=1000&height=667

On one hand I'm excited to know they're investing enough money in simulators, as well as investing enough efforts into making them as realistic as possible.

On the other hand though, I'm worried that such simulators are usually quite long lived, and perhaps the funds should have been invested in either developing new simulators for the currently in-development howitzers, or in accelerating their development.

1 hour ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

On one hand I'm excited to know they're investing enough money in simulators, as well as investing enough efforts into making them as realistic as possible.

On the other hand though, I'm worried that such simulators are usually quite long lived, and perhaps the funds should have been invested in either developing new simulators for the currently in-development howitzers, or in accelerating their development.

I guess that even if the new SPG enter service sooner, the M109 won't be phased out entirely immediately.

I wouldn't find it strange if they kept it for the reservist, at least in the beginning.

33 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

I guess that even if the new SPG enter service sooner, the M109 won't be phased out entirely immediately.

I wouldn't find it strange if they kept it for the reservist, at least in the beginning.

I don't know if I'm misinterpreting it, but I think MoD said it will be phased out within a decade from now. 

The worrying part is that they're building a new one for the active troops.

This is based on the info given here:

Link 1.

Link 2.

I assume they want the whole thing completed within a decade. Total of 192 vehicles for the entire army. Split into 2 batches, one of which will be faster produced than the other. Assume they take 2 years from now to complete design of the wheeled version and test it, and develop the tracked one during production phase of wheeled one. An average of 24 vehicles per year will be enough to phase out the M109 within 10 years. That includes reserves.

Feasible, considering that Merkava 4M and Namer are currently produced at an annual rate of 30 vehicles each.

But I don't expect too much from this project. It's been too politicized for a while because of the rivalry between companies, and may end with Elbit under-delivering. Maybe, just maybe, we will see a glimpse in Eurosatory this month, but the chances are slim.

Anyway, Azerbaijan have serious long hands

Azerbaijan's assets with a range over 100km

Israeli EXTRA, LORA and Harop
Turkish T-300 Kasırga
Belarusian Polonez
Soviet OTR-21 Tochka

And this list doesn't even include the BM-21, BM-30, TOS-1, Lynx, RM-70 and T-122 MRLS also operated by Azerbaijan.

56 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

I didn't understood what you mean.

I meant that the delivery of the Polonez complex involved other missiles as well. Other than the standard 300mm missiles to 200km range, they can carry also 610mm ballistic missiles to a 400km range, with better accuracy and much stronger warheads.