Sturgeon's House
LoooSeR

General artillery, SPGs, MLRS and long range ATGMs thread.

1250 kg each   :blink:

This is Zelzal' obr 2013 rocket, by Syrian standarts they are well-made. Firing range is about 3 km. On the background (left) - Toophan launcher for smaller rockets.

qsEua.jpg

And from Best Korea:

Large-scale drill of #NorthKorea long-range artillery M1989 Koksan, March 25 

Cea3k6LXEAEWJC0.jpg

Cea3k3BXEAAwe5G.jpg

Cea3kzqWsAMHi1I.jpg

Cea3kwNWQAAOPZZ.jpg

Gunners of the 2nd Battalion, 94th Regiment of the US Army Field Artillery and 203-mm self-propelled howitzer M-110; military base "Camp Carroll"; Vietnam; 1970.

0_175407_4e8cdce0_XL.jpg

0_175408_53e73c65_XL.jpg

0_17540d_9c4a9760_XL.jpg

0_17540c_39382bf5_XL.jpg

0_17540a_3250b175_XL.jpg

0_17540b_5cca94a4_XL.jpg

0_175409_c323c8b6_XL.jpg

0_17540e_fe3b9148_XL.jpg

0_175413_8f5b9a0c_XL.jpg

0_175412_88f91b21_XL.jpg

It is WiB, so I wouldn't be surprised if you are right.  But that's a damned long barrel...

I'm not sure. This is the oldest (and most official) article I could find: http://www.ardec.army.mil/news/article.aspx?id=2508

Hard to tell if the 70km figure includes RAP or not - though that much of an improvement on "just" a charge upgrade and longer barrel seems a bit unrealistic. Modular charges and an L/52 can't even get close to that on the PZH's gun, for example. 

I'm not sure. This is the oldest (and most official) article I could find: http://www.ardec.army.mil/news/article.aspx?id=2508

Hard to tell if the 70km figure includes RAP or not - though that much of an improvement on "just" a charge upgrade and longer barrel seems a bit unrealistic. Modular charges and an L/52 can't even get close to that on the PZH's gun, for example. 

Maybe base-bleed?  I dunno...

Not a expert on arty by any means.

From the Ardec article: the XM654 supercharge.... Hrmmm. Very curious.  Wondering if that's our culprit.

Maybe base-bleed?  I dunno...

Not a expert on arty by any means.

Well, you finally found how to trigger me!

There is no artillery shell anywhere in the world which uses base-bleed. It's called base-burn. Don't listen to Wikipedia, it lies.

General rule of thumb with current artillery systems:

~30 km = non assisted

<40 km = base burn

>40 km = rocket assisted or guided (Excalibur)

Copy-pasting this here. Soviet long-range, operation-level ballistic missiles.

1. Tochka in St.Petersburg museum of artillery. Adopted in 1975. Firing range - 15-70 km ("Tochka-U" - 150 km), the total weight - 16 tons, the rocket - 2t, crew - 3 people.

pLf5fSE.jpg

The launcher is mounted on a three-axle amphibious automobile chassis BAZ-5921. Near it (on the ground) - 9Ya234 container for storage of rockets.

w40Gi2z.jpg

2. Luna-M. 9P113 launcher with a 9M21 missile, accepted into service in 1964. Firing range - 15-70 km, the overall mass - 16.4 m, the rocket - 2.5t, crew - 5 people.

N1jmeZE.jpg

Launcher - on the chassis ZIL-135LM, transport vehicle - chassis ZIL-135LTM.

dnSDVgm.jpg

Transport vehicle of the Luna system, ZIL-135LTM.

IDgTXyJ.jpg

3. 2P16 (based on PT-76) with unguided 3R9 rocket, put into service in 1960. 

nZaanGB.jpg

Range: with 3R9 rockets (high-explosive warhead) - 45 km, with the 3R10 (special warhead) - 32 km, the mass installation - 15.5 tons, rocket - 2.3 tons crew - 5 people.

2niEDd4.jpg

4. 9P120 launcher with a missile 9M76 tactical missile system 9K76 "Temp-S", put into service in 1968. Firing range - 300-900 km, total weight - 29.9t, rocket - 9.4t, maximum error - 370 meters, nuclear warhead - 1x0.5 Mt. On the INF Treaty, December 8, 1987 between the Soviet Union and the United States, system was eliminated.

xBm6DVE.jpg

MAZ-543 was used as the chassis for the launcher unit, chassis is similar to that used in the 9K72 "Elbrus» ("Scud"), but a rocket, located inside of the launcher, was covered in a special container, that opened along the longitudinal axis of the launcher unit after verticalization of the missiles before start.

Fl7Nfuz.jpg

bzXncb3.jpg

To control the missile during the boost phase, deflectors were installed on the nozzles. The control system used gyrostabilized platform with gyro units of pitch, yaw and rotation

cxxPn4D.jpg

9M76 - two-stage solid-fuel ballistic missile with a nuclear warhead. Warhead separated from final stage during flight.

EFanWUK.jpg

JNL5bQb.jpg

5. 9P71 launcher with a 9M714 tactical missile of the 9K714 "Oka" system, put into service in 1980. Range - 50-400 km, weight of whole system - 24.6 t, the missile - 4.36 t. On the INF Treaty on December 8, 1987 between the Soviet Union and the United States system was eliminated.

inYM0ww.jpg

The complex was intended to replace the 9K72 "Elbrus" (Scud) missile system.

RIzd3qq.jpg

Flight tests of the complex began in 1978, with missiles launches at Kapustin Yar. State tests were carried out in the 1977-1979, during which 26 launches of missiles were made. The complex was put into service in 1980.

2uoQyVg.jpg

Solid-fuel 9K714 missiles was deisgned as a single-stage and equipped with separatable warhead. The rocket used inertial control system. To improve the accuracy, radar homing was used to correct trajectory. The missile could have been equipped with conventional warheads, or nuclear (10-50 kt).

KSWVNc3.jpg

Replacement of warheads at launch site could have been done within 15 minutes. At the end of the active portion of the trajectory, the missile reached 4M speed. Missiles trajectories were controled by means of a lattice aerodynamic tail rudders. The height of the highest point of a ballistic trajectory - 120 km. The missile was equipped with a complex of overcoming missile defense ("KSP PRO" KSP - complex of overcoming PRO - anti-air defence). Using KSP PRO reduces the probability of interception of the 9K714 missiles by anti-air systems.

lelSjAq.jpg

Self-propelled launcher (SPL) 9P71 was based on 4-axle amphibious BAZ-6944 chassis, with a V-shaped UTD25 engine (400 HP). The chassis was manufactured at the Bryansk automobile plant. SPL was developed by SKB-221, prototypes were produced at the "Barricades" plant and engaged in mass production at Petropavlovskiy heavy engineering plant named after Lenin (Kazakhstan). As SPL 9P71, transportation and loading vehicle (TLV) 9T230 was based on the  chassis of BAZ-6944. TLV transported the two missiles.

xf541Na.jpg

The complex "Oka" was liquidated by the Soviet Union after the signing of the Treaty on the Elimination of Intermediate-Range with the USA (1987), although formally under the terms of the agreement Oka was not to be included into list, because it had a launch range of up to 400 km. In accordance with this standard criteria set, Oka system was not to be affected by agreement.

In 1987, after the signing of the contract, an improved complex "Oka-U" testing and development was terminated. After the collapse of the Warsaw Pact, 18 missiles remained in Germany (by then already united), the same amount - in Bulgaria, about a dozen - in Slovakia and four - in Romania. US readily agreed with Germany on systems destruction. Negotiations with Romania and Slovakia tightened. Until the fall of 1998, while in Bratislava remained under power of Vladimir Meciar, Slovakia did not want to abandon its missile ambitions. Only after the change of leadership and the announcement of the intention to join NATO, sysems were destroyed by 2002. In 2003, Bulgaria has destroyed the last 8 SPL and 24 missiles.

vzPMRQm.jpg