Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General artillery, SPGs, MLRS and long range ATGMs thread.

LoooSeR

Shamelessly stolen from Damian90 on AW forums:

CRdlEQ7.jpg

M109A6 testbed with the M109A8 turret and M907 ERCA gun (I thought it was a 52-caliber barrel, but apparently it's 58).

EDIT: to be honest, the grainy quality and color palette of this picture originally made me think it was taken in the 1990s and depicted instead a M109 retrofitted with the XM2001 Crusader's XM297E2 gun (the previously seen ERCA testbeds were also sprayed desert tan rather than olive drab). But then again it's not the first time we get pictures taken with potatoes, even in 2018.

6 hours ago, Renegade334 said:

Shamelessly stolen from Damian90 on AW forums:

CRdlEQ7.jpg

M109A6 testbed with the M109A8 turret and M907 ERCA gun (I thought it was a 52-caliber barrel, but apparently it's 58).

EDIT: to be honest, the grainy quality and color palette of this picture originally made me think it was taken in the 1990s and depicted instead a M109 retrofitted with the XM2001 Crusader's XM297E2 gun (the previously seen ERCA testbeds were also sprayed desert tan rather than olive drab). But then again it's not the first time we get pictures taken with potatoes, even in 2018.

I don't think it is the ERCA gun because it has a bore evacuator.

Self-propelled guns developed under "Nabrosok" ("Sketch") program started preliminary tests

MOSCOW, October 1. / TASS /. Self-propelled artillery mounts "Phlox" and "Magnolia", as well as the "Drok" mortar, developed in the framework of the "Sketch" experimental design work, are already undergoing preliminary tests. This was reported TASS on Monday in the press service of "Uralvagonzavod."

/.../

The 120-mm SPG "Phlox" is mounted on the Ural wheeled chassis, the 120-mm SPG "Magnolia" is mounted on the two-link tracked chassis for use in weak ground conditions [for arctic units], and the 82-mm self-propelled Drok mortar is mounted on the Kamaz wheel chassis .

Also, there are (or were) plans to mount 120 mm artillery gun/howitzer on Kurganets, Armata, Bumerang, Typhoon chassis

J9BCE.png

On 10/5/2018 at 6:58 PM, LoooSeR said:

"Should we make a good mortar carrier vehicle, comrade?"

"No! Put it inside of UAZ, cut the roof and shoot it from inside!"

fBPq1.jpg

No recoil damping system, and placed close to center so I expect chassis to break before they can use a 2nd hand to count the number of fired shells.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/news/army-artillery-doubles-reach-shot

Army artillery doubles its reach with nearly 39-mile shot

The Army has successfully fired a 155mm artillery round 62 kilometers — marking a technical breakthrough in the realm of land-based weapons and progressing toward its stated goal of being able to outrange and outgun Russian and Chinese weapons.

"We just doubled the range of our artillery at Yuma Proving Ground," Gen. John Murray, Commanding General of Army Futures Command, told reporters at the Association of the United States Army Annual Symposium.

Currently, most land-fired artillery shot from an M777 Towed Howitzer or Self-Propelled Howitzer are able to pinpoint targets out to 30km — so hitting 62km marks a substantial leap forward in offensive attack capability.

Murray was clear that the intent of the effort, described as Extended Range Cannon Artillery, is specifically aimed at regaining tactical overmatch against Russian and Chinese weapons.

Well, they're getting close to that 70km mark.

EDIT: article originally from Warrior Maven.

AUSA 2018 Warriors Corner #19 Long Range Precision Fires Cross - Functional Team Update with Col. John Rafferty, Col. Chris Mills, Col. Will McDonough and Mike George

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/embed/631880

58-caliber M109A8 test footage at the beginning of the video. Credits to Damian90 on AW forums.