Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General artillery, SPGs, MLRS and long range ATGMs thread.

LoooSeR

Yuri Lyamin:

Excellent photos of the 100 mm cannons of the BS-3 and MT-12 pro-government militias of the Christian cities of Scalby and Mahard in the north of the province of Hama, Syria. Those and others were delivered by us to Syria after 2015 and are quite rare there, for example, BS-3, I think I saw only in Fatimiyun unit in the desert before, and MT-12 "flashed" earlier in the north of the province of Hama.

http://sh.uploads.ru/XQGh6.jpg

Spoiler

http://s8.uploads.ru/CQlmt.jpg

https://zen.yandex.ru/media/gurkhan/izdelie-327--samohodka-obognavshaia-vremia-5c87f93f44a47600b4faa265

Izdelie 327 SPG 

scale_600

Spoiler

scale_600

scale_600

scale_600

scale_600

scale_600

scale_600

Full weight - 41 tons

Crew - 4 people (in a mock-up  - 2 people)

Weapons - 152mm LP-72 cannon with separate-cartridge loading of the design of the special design bureau of the Perm machine-building plant (chief designer Yu.N. Kalachnikov), 12.7 mm of the NSVT machine gun with 300 rounds of ammunition. In addition, in the drawing we clearly see a 30-mm automatic 2A72 gun (ammunition is not known)

Aiming angles of 152mm guns were on the horizon - 360 degrees, and vertically from -3 to +70 degrees

Ammunition - 35 shots

Armor - against bullets and fragments

The range of high-explosive fragmentation projectile (3OF45) was not less than 30 km

ROF - 13 shots per minute

Diesel engine V-84AMS, 840 hp, giving this vehicle 20.5 hp/t

Maximum speed on the highway - 60 km/h

Cruising on the highway highway - at least 500 km

Overall dimensions: 11,125 x 3,580 x 3,200 in mm, respectively, length x width x height.

Good old Bereg coastal artillery... I just do not understand, why waste money on wheeled Koalitsiya with Kamaz chassis. It will be the same as with Pantsir. Lots of overturned and damaged vehicles. Koalitsiya turret on the MAZ would be far better, even if the vehicle is slower and consumes much more fuel.

I guess one has to ask Czech, Slovak or Polish army about that - whether they are unstable or not. Those armies have - for 40 years - Dana Vz.77 SPH on Tatra chassis, which is 2.5 meters wide when measured by wheels, exactly like KAMAZ truck. And its 3.3 meters high when measured from the ground to turret's top
DimJdfA.jpg
BTW, reportedly Soviet Union borrowed some Danas in mid 80s for tests, and later even bought about 120 of them, although several years later during withdraval of Soviet army from former WarPac countries all those Danas were moved to Kazakhstan and later (in mid-late 90s) their turrets were scrapped.

Ever since early 80s Soviet Army also tried to develop some 8x8 howitzer on tactical truck chassis of its own, under designations of 2S21 Msta-K and 2S26 Pat-K, using Ural-5233, Kraz 4R-3120 (also known as ChR-3120) and KrAZ-6316 trucks as chassis. And while KrAZ trucks turned out to be 2,8 meters wide (they were originally intended to be 2.5 meters wide, but it turned out that it's impossible if one also wants some very wide tires for lower soil pressure and better trafficability), Ural truck was ~2.5 meters wide, when measured by wheels. Using those they made at least 4 different prototypes:

Ural-5233:
8mz0x3q.jpg

vtQKo84.jpg

KrAZ chassis:
qJz1TzB.jpg
wg63KSM.jpg

It seems to me that in case someone seriously wanted howitzer on tactical truck chassis, in Russian army of last 28 years, there was only one reasonable 2.7-3-meters-wide option - BAZ trucks.

19 hours ago, skylancer-3441 said:

I guess one has to ask Czech, Slovak or Polish army about that - whether they are unstable or not. Those armies have - for 40 years - Dana Vz.77 SPH on Tatra chassis, which is 2.5 meters wide when measured by wheels, exactly like KAMAZ truck. And its 3.3 meters high when measured from the ground to turret's top

Im not sure about this. Dana SPH seems to be a lower construction than the Kamaz 6560, which is well above 3m. (3170mm) I found no drawings with dimensions, but there is a painting guide for a model kit, which seems accurate. I took the size of the wheels, which are 1220mm,  and the result is that the top of the turret is around 2.8m high. The chassis is no higher than 2m at any point. The centre of gravity seems to be much, much lower than on the Pantsir (Kamaz 6560) for example.

IIRC last time they thought about tires of that size or probably it was something closer to 1260mm, - it was late 50s, when first modern Tatra 8x8 was born of paper as STD-138. And later they dropped them, as their vehicles ended up been much heavier than STD-138.

Dana has 15.00-R21 tires, which are 1335mm in diameter, not 1220
bucCYgp.jpg

btw, there is on the internet a Dana chassis drawing - this one:
UhF8R2F.jpg

32 minutes ago, skylancer-3441 said:

Dana has 15.00-R21 tires, which are 1335mm in diameter, not 1220

Thanks for the correction and for the drawing! But then this further reinforces my point, that its centre of gravity is much lower than on the Kamaz, which in my opinion, isnt suitable for carrying artillery pieces, and not even for carrying the Pantsir AA complex. Maybe Im wrong, but as far as I know, the original intended chassis for the Pantsir was a BAZ truck, wider, lower, and simply better, but for certain reasons (=corruption), it was rejected in favor of the Kamaz.

(no, Im not a Kamaz hater. They are very good trucks. Just not suitable for these roles)