Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

ATGMs and RPGs for infantry - a thread for rebels around the world to choose their ATGM supplier.

LoooSeR

Yep.  Some fancy liner material might be involved, like tantalum.  That and/or they're using fancy, high-yield explosives.

Did a little Googling and Octastit is 95% HMX with a binder.

With the use of Gurney equations the jet velocity can be calculated. However I don't know how to do that.  :P (yet)

I don't know Octastit's detonation velocity nor it's b2f0a206796bb410cb43e5e7db084bd0.png, but I do know LX-14's det velocity and b2f0a206796bb410cb43e5e7db084bd0.png, which are 9110 m/s and 2970 m/s. LX-14 is 95.5% HMX and 4.5% binder. I suspect Octastit has a similar det velocity, but using a different binder might throw things off. Compare to PETN (8260 m/s, 2930 m/s) and RDX (8700 m/s, 2830 m/s). (Values from Explosives Engineering*)

Another way to improve is indeed with using a different liner material. Copper isn't the best penetrator, but it's generally sufficient. And it's easy to manufacture copper liners. I don't know how much improvement a different material will give, but it will make the round more difficult and expensive to make.

They could also have done funny things with a wave shaper and the shape of the liner itself. Current simple conical liners are, again, easy and cheap to manufacture, but you can gain penetration by changing the shape of the liner and/or by adding a wave shaper.

But then again, the Panzerfaust 3 supposedly has 700 mm of penetration with a 110 mm warhead. The same as claimed here.

The Pz 3 has a pretty simple copper liner with a wave shaper:

panzerfaust3t_02.jpg

The 900 mm they claim is bullshit. "Yes we have an estimated penetration of 700 mm, but in a static, optimised test we get 900 mm and that's way better than 700 mm so we have a really good warhead!!!"

tl;dr: Possible, but do you want to?

9b5112cd55.png

Surely buying those two won't raise an eyebrow or two

Did a little Googling and Octastit is 95% HMX with a binder.

With the use of Gurney equations the jet velocity can be calculated. However I don't know how to do that.  :P (yet)

I don't know Octastit's detonation velocity nor it's b2f0a206796bb410cb43e5e7db084bd0.png, but I do know LX-14's det velocity and b2f0a206796bb410cb43e5e7db084bd0.png, which are 9110 m/s and 2970 m/s. LX-14 is 95.5% HMX and 4.5% binder. I suspect Octastit has a similar det velocity, but using a different binder might throw things off. Compare to PETN (8260 m/s, 2930 m/s) and RDX (8700 m/s, 2830 m/s). (Values from Explosives Engineering*)

Another way to improve is indeed with using a different liner material. Copper isn't the best penetrator, but it's generally sufficient. And it's easy to manufacture copper liners. I don't know how much improvement a different material will give, but it will make the round more difficult and expensive to make.

They could also have done funny things with a wave shaper and the shape of the liner itself. Current simple conical liners are, again, easy and cheap to manufacture, but you can gain penetration by changing the shape of the liner and/or by adding a wave shaper.

But then again, the Panzerfaust 3 supposedly has 700 mm of penetration with a 110 mm warhead. The same as claimed here.

The Pz 3 has a pretty simple copper liner with a wave shaper:

panzerfaust3t_02.jpg

The 900 mm they claim is bullshit. "Yes we have an estimated penetration of 700 mm, but in a static, optimised test we get 900 mm and that's way better than 700 mm so we have a really good warhead!!!"

tl;dr: Possible, but do you want to?

9b5112cd55.png

Surely buying those two won't raise an eyebrow or two

PzF-3IT600 had those over 900mm RHA.

Proven in Poland :)

It have new warhed.

Tommorow will wrote more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...