Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Anti-air thread: Everything that goes up must come down, and we'll help you go down

Bronezhilet

What seems to be a Fateh 110 or M600 (a derivative of Fateh) was fired at targets close to the border with Israel, supposedly initially with a trajectory that put Israeli cities up to 40km away from the border in danger.

In response Stunner missiles were fired from central Israel to intercept, later realizing it was a false alarm with the SRBMs landing in Syria.

This is the first operational launch of the Stunner.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/rocket-sirens-blare-across-golan-northern-israel-idf-investigating/

Correction: Those were two Tochka missiles, one of whom was intercepted. The 2nd interceptor missile self-destructed mid-air and the 2nd Tochka reached its target as it was realized it would fall in Syria and not Israel.

2 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Does anyone know the price composition of a PAC-3MSE missile? I have a trouble understanding how come it can cost close to $6 million when competing missiles are just so much cheaper.

Poland's buy? Their price estimates are strange, and a PAC-3MSE costs ~$4.7 mil each.

As for the price of competing missiles, are you taking into account the labor/material costs, exchange rates and what the various missiles capabilities are?

4 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Poland's buy? Their price estimates are strange, and a PAC-3MSE costs ~$4.7 mil each.

As for the price of competing missiles, are you taking into account the labor/material costs, exchange rates and what the various missiles capabilities are?

4.7? Sorry I can't access the link you sent, and I can't post mine but defensenews.com reported a while ago that Poland was spooked by the 5.7 mil price tag, that would grow to 8 under special terms Poland requested.

I ask this because recently there were some news about the Stunner missile, with everyone claiming about 1 mil USD per missile, and one claiming a more exact figure of 700K USD. 

The deal with Poland involves 1,000 Stunner missiles for only 1 billion USD, and Poland wants to produce many of them as well.

33 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

4.7? Sorry I can't access the link you sent, and I can't post mine but defensenews.com reported a while ago that Poland was spooked by the 5.7 mil price tag, that would grow to 8 under special terms Poland requested.

I ask this because recently there were some news about the Stunner missile, with everyone claiming about 1 mil USD per missile, and one claiming a more exact figure of 700K USD. 

The deal with Poland involves 1,000 Stunner missiles for only 1 billion USD, and Poland wants to produce many of them as well.

My understanding is that Poland is buying both SkyCeptors and PAC-3MSE missiles for its Patriot batteries. It might be worth figuring out whats different between the Stunner and SkyCeptor missile since they are not the same thing.

On the link I posted, there is ~$4.26 mil per missile which raises to ~$4.7 mil when you include other hardware like the kits that modify launchers to use any type of Patriot missile.

5HsTTAd.jpg

9 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

My understanding is that Poland is buying both SkyCeptors and PAC-3MSE missiles for its Patriot batteries. It might be worth figuring out whats different between the Stunner and SkyCeptor missile since they are not the same thing.

On the link I posted, there is ~$4.26 mil per missile which raises to ~$4.7 mil when you include other hardware like the kits that modify launchers to use any type of Patriot missile.

Okay, well, the parameters are not fully known but it is said the Stunner is quite substantially faster, capable of intercepting missiles traveling at mach 7.5 (hypersonic), has a good range of 160km, although some cite 300km, perhaps incorrectly. 

But the main cost determining parameters are the seekers. First, though, both missiles have no warhead.

Seekers are the Stunner's main selling point. It has one passive seeker (radar) just like many other long range missiles, but it has two active ones (radar, claimed by some to be AESA, and some EO seeker) unlike most others using only one active seeker. CM is also abundant, as it needs both ECCM and IRCCM.

Technically the Stunner should be more expensive because of its additional electronics and newer more complex engines.

16 minutes ago, Toimisto said:

What are the advantages of 57mm AA guns like the S-60 over their ww2 counterparts, it seems like it was designed to be sort of an "ultimate" "ww2" AA gun, but as it really has no equivalents it is really hard to compare it to other AA guns like 40/70 Bofors.

IIRC range and effect on target if hit. Modern 57 mm SPAAG like Derivatsia are interesting because of programmable HE-frag vs drones, ATGMs, missiles/rockets, etc.

According to Maven the US Army is remaking M6 Bradleys.

I would assume they are using the leftover equipment from when they were converted back to regular Bradleys.

“As directed by the Chief of Staff of the Army, the Army is conducting a proof of principle to incorporate Man Portable Air Defense Systems back into the Armored Brigade Combat Teams by modifying two dozen Bradleys to carry Stinger Missiles in lieu of TOW Missiles,” Ashley Givens, spokeswoman for Program Executive Officer, Ground Combat Systems, told Warrior Maven.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put that, but this is thread closer to expected role of Peresvet system.

More from him:

http://militaryrussia.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1211&t=3463&sid=0b420174565c164f1de482ff9107802d&start=200

Second position of Peresvet:

Unexpected use for me, i thought it was some sort of tech demonstrator. 

The purpose seems to blind satellites