Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Anti-air thread: Everything that goes up must come down, and we'll help you go down

Bronezhilet

Looks more like a muzzle velocity radar to me, most muzzle programming devices are coils to maximise the magnetic field they produce, the brake would cause problems with that in this offset block.

Also, do they even have 57mm rounds which would benefit from such a system?

On August 21, 2018, in the Patriot military patriotic park in Kubinka, the next International Military Technical Forum "Army-2018" opens. Among other things, JSC "Design Bureau of Precision Engineering named after A.E. Nodelman "(part of the JSC NPO "High-Precision Complexes" of the State Corporation "Rostekh") for the first time publicly demonstrates the combat vehicle of the Sosna short-range anti-aircraft missile system with anti-aircraft guided missiles 9M340 Sosna-R with laser beam guidance system.

5 km height, 10 km range.

5810595_original.jpg

Spoiler

5811387_original.jpg

5811142_original.jpg

5810770_original.jpg

Sosna, very serious missile system. Completely immune to every kind of jamming, and for most aircraft, the first sign that it is under attack, is the detonation of the warhead. Even if the aircraft has missile launch warning system, the only thing the pilot can do, is jettison weapons and try to outmaneuver the missile, which is very difficult.

Quick question for those who know about this stuff, I've seen some odd numbers for missile costs around the internet and would like your opinion.
The numbers I've seen suggest that ESSMs and AMRAAMs cost around $ 1M, and that Sidewinders go for around 500K.
This is all very nice and pleasant, but then the numbers for the Israeli Iron Dome are around 50k-100k per interceptor.
The question is- are these numbers realistic? If so, why is the iron dome so damn cheap, relatively speaking? The missiles aren't much smaller than sidewinders and the guidance doesn't look to be very primitive. 

9 hours ago, N-L-M said:

Quick question for those who know about this stuff, I've seen some odd numbers for missile costs around the internet and would like your opinion.
The numbers I've seen suggest that ESSMs and AMRAAMs cost around $ 1M, and that Sidewinders go for around 500K.
This is all very nice and pleasant, but then the numbers for the Israeli Iron Dome are around 50k-100k per interceptor.
The question is- are these numbers realistic? If so, why is the iron dome so damn cheap, relatively speaking? The missiles aren't much smaller than sidewinders and the guidance doesn't look to be very primitive. 

They sound unusually high, given brimstone (not an AA missile, but still a complex weapon) costs ~£80k ea.

Interesting about Sosna:

Substantially "tortured" a representative for Sosna system. In short: the system engage targets that flew behind the clouds with the help of a computer; The lack of a radar detection is compensated by the number of machines (6), each of which can observe a sector of 90°; the speed of targets is up to 900 m/s, during the tests they shot down the Strela-10 missile.

On 8/22/2018 at 1:25 AM, N-L-M said:

They are realistic if it does not use an active seeker, I suspect Tamir missiles use an RF data link for mid course updates and a lidar "electro optical" seeker/fuze.

Edited by Ramlaen
last edit I swear :p