Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Let's Talk Dark Souls

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/5/2018 at 10:10 AM, Scolopax said:

So here's the deal.

Dark souls remastered is fucking insulting. 

not only did they kill the entire DS1 playerbase by removing the original game from Steam, they forced people who already had the game to buy it if they wanted the "remastered" edition. Which was just a shitty vis-mod with a 60 FPS patch!

Did you know who DIDN'T charge customers for a game they already head? FUCKING BETHESDA!

The biggest slap in the face? The PC DS1 port was so shitty that a 60fps fix was implemented by a modder 27 minutes after it released

And then Fromsoft tried to sue that guy. With very little success. 

This is when I basically gave up on Fromsoft. 

The first problem was when they started balancing items around PvP, instead of just giving them separate PvP stats. I have a TON of critiques but don't feel like penning them all right now. The above video is a good one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect

Dark Souls 3 Original Plot

An overview of what DS3's story played like early on before release.  It's not entirely official, but there's some interesting details and L O R E implications.

Also kind of seems like the game was another (relatively) rushed job by From like DS1.

1 hour ago, Scolopax said:

@Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect

Dark Souls 3 Original Plot

An overview of what DS3's story played like early on before release.  It's not entirely official, but there's some interesting details and L O R E implications.

Also kind of seems like the game was another (relatively) rushed job by From like DS1.

I can see why some of this was removed. I can also see that they could have incorporated so much more into the game. Profaned Capital is blatantly obvious. That was meant to be a MUCH bigger area.

I think DS3 had huge shoes to fill, and there are definite improvements that could have been made. A lot of the re-balancing made the game pretty bland. Later on, they tried to buff poison, bleed, blessed,  infusions but it was a little too late. 

The BIGGEST thing I think should have happened? They made you start in the undead settlement, and then you have multiple progression paths. 

DS3 is SUPER linear compared to 1 and 2. Honestly, once I beat the game a few times with a few different builds it was just shitty. I had no desire to go back and PVE unless I was doing a level 1 run or a speedrun. 

Combine that with build diversity being really bad early on (Early magic users, early hollow, even early dex really suck) and the fact that you have to go into new game plus for more respec attempts. AND the fact that NG+ is really, really shitty?

Come on, at least Dark Souls 2 added more fucking enemies to their NG+ cycles. If fucking DS2 can do it so can you, ds3.

The best thing I can say about DS3 is that it feels GREAT. It's the best game as far as controls and movement is concerned, hands down. They probably spent a ton of time on that and the lore was optional. They're like, "The Youtubers will fill in the blanks we leave."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tried that and some other things without any success so far.  The game will freeze at any point between immediate startup and the character creation menu (the farthest I've got before freezing.)  Only way out is to open the task manager and close it from there.