Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

North Korea, you so crazy!

Walter_Sobchak

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, Donward said:

During the luncheon (I believe) of the Singapore Peace Summit, this video was played for Chairman Kim and the North Korea delegation on a cassette iPad. 

I just watched that, well 1:30 of it.....That was more than enough cheese for me in one sitting! 

TBH if I were Kim and you had played that shite at me I'd have nuked Guam on general principle.

U.S. identifies North Korea missile test site it says Kim committed to destroy

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-site/u-s-identifies-north-korea-missile-test-site-it-says-kim-committed-to-destroy-idUSKBN1JH02B

The missile engine test site that President Donald Trump said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had committed to destroy is a major facility in the western part of the country that has been used for testing engines for long-range missiles, according to a U.S. official.

A U.S. official identified it on Wednesday as the Sohae Satellite Launching Ground, saying North Korea “has used this site to test liquid-propellant engines for its long-range ballistic missiles.”

• 2 weeks later...

Well what's for sure is that they are building new stuff on the Yongbyon plant as satellites images suggest.

https://www.38north.org/2018/06/yongbyon062618/

However what exactly are they doing is unclear for now and it could be unrelated to the current process, or maybe those are preparation for dismantlement (to dismantle a nuclear installation you generally have to start by building new stuff).

It could also be that the whole meeting with Trump was only a way to buy some more time, that wouldn't be the first time that NK pulled off that kind of thing (lowering the tensions to get a breather before ramping up again).

No way to be sure for now, so no other solutions than waiting to see what will happen.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, Alzoc said:

It could also be that the whole meeting with Trump was only a way to buy some more time, that wouldn't be the first time that NK pulled off that kind of thing (lowering the tensions to get a breather before ramping up again).

Gee.....Do you think so?  :o

Looks to me like they are switching their efforts exclusively to solid fuel rockets.....And we all know what that means.  ;)

Kim's a tricky little fucker.....You gotta like him really!  :lol:

Well yeah, NK has a solid track record on that^^

Trump's foreign policy is dangerous as it brake all recognized norms of international diplomacy (and there are norms for a good reason).

However I reckon that his gesticulations can trigger changes (good or bad depending on where you stand) so I'm willing to give him the benefice of the doubt.

On the NK case my expectation weren't high to begin with (especially since the meeting took place shortly after Trump unilaterally tossed the Iran deal to the bin) since both side had shown a strong tendency to burn down existing agreements on a whim.

I was willing to wait a little, but as soon as the US announced that they wanted a denuclearization by 2020 pretty much everyone knew that Trump only did this for internal political reason and that he didn't cared wether or not the process would be effective (still hoping that the sane people left in his administration could always work on something more realistic).

32 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looks to me like they are switching their efforts exclusively to solid fuel rockets.....And we all know what that means.  ;)

The irony in this is that Trump attacked the already quite restrictive Iran deal on the ground that it didn't covered their ballistic program (which is true, but that wasn't a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater), to make a deal with NK a few weeks later, with pretty much no restrictions.

NK was perfectly happy to switch their efforts to... their ballistic program since they already have enough operational warheads.

• 1 month later...