Sturgeon's House
Walter_Sobchak

North Korea, you so crazy!

So Trump is going to be meeting with Rocketman in Singapore on June 12.

I thought the location was interesting given that Kim's half-brother was assassinated just 200 miles north of Singapore in Kuala Lumpur. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44092623

North Korea: UN gains 'unprecedented access' during visit

The head of the UN's World Food Programme (WFP) believes there is a "sense of optimism" among North Korea's leaders after enjoying what he said was unprecedented access to the country.

David Beasley spent two days in the capital, Pyongyang, and two outside it, accompanied by government minders.

He said the country was working hard to meet nutritional standards, and hunger was not as high as in the 1990s.

"There is a sense of turning a new page in history," he told the BBC.

It looks like north korea's really serious about the opening-up thing.

If this works, I'm going to have to patiently explain to future generations that, yes, there were two Korean governments, and technically they were at war for over a half-century after the end of the Korean War.

However, the plan that ultimately succeeded at bringing peace was:

1)  Have a massive corruption scandal in South Korea that abruptly forced a change in government.

2)  Have the United States elect a reality TV star as its president, and have that president make fun of North Korea's leader for being short and fat over Twitter

3)  Have a basketball with a bunch of facial piercings play good cop

I think it's perfectly reasonable that this wasn't plan A.

It has been interesting watching the media shit all over itself on the subject.

1) Oh noes, Trump is going to get us into World War 3 by shitpoasting about the NORKS on Twitter

2) How progressive is the Kim Dynasty! Why they have K-Pop bands! And wasn't Kim's sister elegant at the Winter Olympics when she gave VP Pence the side eye?

3) Wait. Trump is in negotiations for a sit down with Kim to meet face to face? You can't do that! The NORKS are crazy! They're mad men.

4) NORKS release political prisoners as a show of good faith and begin dismantling their nuke program before the meeting with no strings attached. 

They can't do that! It's a trick! STAHP MAKING TRUMP LOOK GOD BEFORE THE MID-TERMS!!!

57 minutes ago, Donward said:

It has been interesting watching the media shit all over itself on the subject.

1) Oh noes, Trump is going to get us into World War 3 by shitpoasting about the NORKS on Twitter

2) How progressive is the Kim Dynasty! Why they have K-Pop bands! And wasn't Kim's sister elegant at the Winter Olympics when she gave VP Pence the side eye?

3) Wait. Trump is in negotiations for a sit down with Kim to meet face to face? You can't do that! The NORKS are crazy! They're mad men.

4) NORKS release political prisoners as a show of good faith and begin dismantling their nuke program before the meeting with no strings attached. 

They can't do that! It's a trick! STAHP MAKING TRUMP LOOK GOD BEFORE THE MID-TERMS!!!

Wait, how are they dismantling their nuke program?

9 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Wait, how are they dismantling their nuke program?

They're not.

Just dismantling their test site (which could be already unusable anyway, the mountain may not resist more blast).

For all we know it could mean that they are satisfied with what they have achieved for now.

And here is the most predictible event in the entire sequence, North Korea threatens to cancel talks.  This is not the first time the North has indicated that it want's to talk, then pulled the rug out from underneath everyone.  My suspicion is that Rocket-man Kim and his buddies just wanted to test the waters and see how high they could get Trump to jump.  Considering that they got Trump to say  “We want to thank [North Korean leader] Kim Jong Un, who really was excellent to these three incredible people,” regarding American citizens imprisoned and sentenced to hard labor, I would think the North Korean's got what they wanted.  

North Korea warns US as it suspends South Korea talks over military drills

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Trump blowing out the Iran deal, while John Bolton open discusses dealing with North Korea using the 'Libyan Model' can't really have helped can it?  

I can' t imagine any international situation helped out by John Bolton.  I for one would prefer that the US get involved in fewer wars, not more.  Trump campaigned as being opposed to the 2003 Iraq war, yet chose Bolton for his cabinet, one of the strongest advocates for the Iraq war.  Makes little sense to me.

For a fleeting moment I thought Trump was operating to a rather cunning plan, playing elements of the establishment off against each other.....But now I'm starting to think he just rolls dice.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

But now I'm starting to think he just rolls dice.

That's the impression I've had for quite some time now, and I mean in general.

He can do whatever he want's as far as internal policy are concerned, he won democratic elections within rules that were known to everybody, and as a foreigner it's none of my business.

But I'm slightly uncomfortable with the fact that the main international policy of the President of the world's first power can be basically summed up as "Poke it with a stick and see how it react"

I understand that many international situations are virtually locked in a statu-quo and it's often unnerving/frustrating/[insert whatever adjective you like], but those situation are locked precisely because they are complicated and that there is no easy quick fix.

So maybe Trump's philosophy is that nothing will change if you don't try something, act, and that's a perfectly valid way of thinking.

But personally I find that the stakes are way too high when talking about geopolitics to just do stuff for the sake of shaking things up.

But hey, if anything good come from it I would be sure to credit it to Trump.

North Korean politicians have number of good examples of what happens with countries that don't have nuclear weapons, i very much doubt that they will surrender them any time soon or that they considered to do that. Iranian deal getting destroyed in such short amount of time (some sanctions are still in effect) only helps to reinforce that.