Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General news thread

Bronezhilet

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/277313/exercise-saber-strike-18-take-place-june

Well this is interesting. Apparently Israel will be among the countries participating in Saber Strike 2018. 

This year's participating nations include: Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Spain, United Kingdom, and the United States, as well as NATO.

It may need some context; Israel has been trying to get into NATO for quite a while now, and only been blocked by Turkey so far. Although last time I've heard about this a few years ago the plans were to integrate only the navy to NATO.

I have a feeling though that this will just be a couple of advisers and observers.

Maybe someday we will see those shining Merkava tanks plowing Polan... I mean driving around Europe with NATO troops.

More weird noises around US embassy staff:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44223523

US warns staff in China: Beware of unusual sounds

The US state department has urged its staff in China to alert them to any abnormal hearing or vision issues after one employee reported mystery symptoms.

The person experienced "subtle and vague, but abnormal, sensations of sound and pressure", a statement said.

The US previously said its diplomats in Cuba had suffered similar symptoms after suspected sonic attacks.

China-US relations have been strained recently, with the threat of a trade war looming.

The US has not accused China of being behind the issues.

https://imp-navigator.livejournal.com/732574.html

The speech of US Secretary of State Pompeo on further actions against Iran was quite expected. It has long been clear that in Washington, the only option considered for building relations with Iran is the so-called "regime change" through the most stringent sanctions and subversion, or as Pompeo said today: "Ultimately, the Iranian people will need to make a choice regarding its leadership. they will quickly decide, it will be wonderful. If they decide not to do so, then we will be tough until we achieve those results, about which I said."
   Therefore, the 12 claims submitted to Iran are so unacceptable, and some could not be completed at all, that in principle there can be no talk about any negotiations.

http://kdvr.com/2018/05/21/man-films-three-people-stringing-fishing-line-across-bike-path/

Synopsis: Guy films three teenagers stringing high-strength fishing line across a well used bike path. Calls cops to report it. Cops don't do shit.

As someone who has crashed while doing 20 mph, it's no joke. that crap could seriously injure someone. And if you went down on your head, on concrete, at that speed? May not wake up. 

Not the first time I've seen this stuff though. I've personally pulled booby-traps out of trails in the past.

Haftar forces advances in Derna against islamist, Libya

‘DSCM’ carried out two SVBIED attacks in order to stop the advance of #LNA troops, source says.

In the meantime LNA forces take full control of 
- Industrial area of al Fatayah
- Nusseiba Bint Kaab Mosque
- Bridge at the W entrance to #Derna

Ahmed al Mismari, LNA spokesperson, reports the Army’s progress in #Derna:
- 480 km2 liberated from Islamist groups;
- 31 militants killed, among them 8 foreigners from Egypt, Tunis,Yemen;
- 22 fighters surrendered to LNA;
- large amounts of militants' weapons captured.
#Libya

LNA 322 Art. Battalion deployed the troops in the outskirts of Derna, gaining a remarkable advance in all the directions leading to the city. 
#Libya
#Derna

DehOPLyXkAA8Y-l.jpg

Spoiler

DehOJS7XUAAEcbx.jpg

DehNESUW0AA5I98.jpg

DehOJSoX0AAC925.jpg

DeghQ7QX0AA_vNw.jpg

DehK2owWkAEf2MZ.jpg

DehKytxWkAUyd7l.jpg

DehKrWAX0AMgwq5.jpg

DehKmjYW4AA7eq0.jpg

Dedk3tqVwAAH3z1.jpg

“There are some Libyan personalities, who call themselves Muslim Brothers & back them, and demand for ceasefire in #Derna, arguing that the civilians are there. But the fact that these personalities ally with the militants against the Army.”

- LNA spokesperson Ahmed alMismari

example of which:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-d-day-america-germany-strong-relationship-state-department-spokeswoman-heather-nauert-a8387221.html

'You have six months to educate Heather Nauert on the history and significance of Pearl Harbor before she cites it as an example of strong US-Japan relations'

Where do you keep finding these dumb broads.....And why do you want them as your spokespersons?

On 6/4/2018 at 3:29 PM, Belesarius said:

What do you think of how the election turned out? It's hard to tell whether Canadians like or dislike the Ford family.

1 hour ago, Ramlaen said:

What do you think of how the election turned out? It's hard to tell whether Canadians like or dislike the Ford family.

I fucking despise the guy.  I wasn't a fan of the Wynnebag but Ford is a whole different bag of shittastic. He's a one term city councillor who had the worst attendance record of any Councillor when he was on council. I know people who used to by hash off him back in the 80s, so he's a former drug dealer. He's taken a moderately successful family business and appears to be running it into the ground to fuel his political campaign, along with looting the estate of a former mayor of Toronto for the same purpose.  I will not be surprised if a year or two down the road it turns out that Ford was responsible for Patrick Brown's political assassination.

The odds of me ever voting conservative are vanishingly small, to be clear.  But Patrick Brown or Christine Elliot would have been vastly preferable to Dougie.  I would at least trust them to have the benefit of the province in mind. I expect Doug will lead an administration that will be even more corrupt and scandal plagued than the Wynne government. And that is saying something.

I can only hope he doesn't fuck things up too badly.

15 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

I fucking despise the guy.  I wasn't a fan of the Wynnebag but Ford is a whole different bag of shittastic. He's a one term city councillor who had the worst attendance record of any Councillor when he was on council. I know people who used to by hash off him back in the 80s, so he's a former drug dealer. He's taken a moderately successful family business and appears to be running it into the ground to fuel his political campaign, along with looting the estate of a former mayor of Toronto for the same purpose.  I will not be surprised if a year or two down the road it turns out that Ford was responsible for Patrick Brown's political assassination.

The odds of me ever voting conservative are vanishingly small, to be clear.  But Patrick Brown or Christine Elliot would have been vastly preferable to Dougie.  I would at least trust them to have the benefit of the province in mind. I expect Doug will lead an administration that will be even more corrupt and scandal plagued than the Wynne government. And that is saying something.

I can only hope he doesn't fuck things up too badly.

But the Canadians are laughing at America for electing President Trump. LAUGHING!!!

@Collimatrix You wanted to know what made it was like to live in Seattle and what things were important to them.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattle-war-memorial-to-lose-battle-guns-drawing-criticism-even-as-city-cites-safety-costs/

f77f1382-6da0-11e8-87a9-4ad364e827b4-124

Seattle, citing safety concerns, is set to move two historic boat guns from one of its war memorials to Chehalis. It’s a decision that has angered at least one veteran who spent more than a decade with the city providing services to his comrades.

The city on Tuesday will relocate two cannon-like weapons that were aboard the USS Concord during the Spanish-American War of 1898 from the War Garden in Woodland Park to the Veterans Memorial Museum in Chehalis, according to Chip Duncan, the museum’s executive director. It’s the culmination of an effort that started about two years ago, when a member of the museum reported that the relics were neglected and in disrepair.

The city said it’s concerned about the lead in the cannon paint that’s leaching into the surrounding soil and the general danger posed to kids who climb on them. But at a time when some monuments to controversial conflicts, such as the American Civil War, are being removed from public space across the country, a local veteran fears the decision contributes to what he feels is a selective effort to erase the city’s memories of war.

If the city were to keep the guns, it would cost up to $500,000 to clean the soil, restore the weapons and mount them on a child-resistant platform, according to Schulkin. She denies the decision was motivated by a political agenda.

“A few decades ago we used to put decommissioned firetrucks in park spaces for kids to play on. We would never do that now,” said Schulkin. “Our ideas about what’s safe are evolving.”

No. Of fucking COURSE you wouldn't THINK of having something cool in a city park for kids to play on.

As a native Seattleite, all I can say is the out-of-state, rich, white liberals infesting Seattle don't fucking DESERVE to have cool Navy cannons from the Spanish-American war.

I'm glad they're being sent to the Chehalis Veterans museum where people who give a god damn will take care of them.

Harumph, I say.

It used to be that you could put out old cannons and battle flags and what have you, and you'd get the Teddy Roosevelt types who saw them as a reflection of the virile, vigorous side of war as well as Smedley D. Butler types who saw them as a memorial to violent folly.  Both views have their merits.  To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

But now?  Now there are cities where policy is dictated by people who are so petrified of the darkness in the hearts of men that they dare not even acknowledge its existence.  Pitiful.