Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General news thread

Bronezhilet

1 hour ago, Collimatrix said:

Alzoc, didn't you mention at some point that Le Pen and/or her allies had some longstanding issues with corruption?

Yes

Here is an old (2017) article summing up the current cases open around her and her party (including the one concerning the ISIS pictures).

I'll try to see if I can find something more up to dates.

Concerning the European parliament affair, justice seized 2 millions € out of the 4,5 millions their party was supposed to receive this year (the State founding all parties proportionally to how much votes they got on the last election).

The total amount they will have to reimburse is now estimated at 7 millions (for the 2009-2017 period)

For the rest, I didn't followed too much so I don't know where they are at now.

About British incident - apperently it was GRU and they fucked up

121.jpg

"Bashirov" is Anatoly Vladimirovich Chepiga.

boshirov.png

Served in Chechnya, in December 2014 got "Hero of Russia". From what i hear people saw passport of those two guys (Bashirov and second one, forgot him) and found out that GRU received special numbered passports, lol.

Question - why they poison somebody in UK with crappy chemical agent? Why this somebody is some irrelevant dude? GRU being crap is not that much of the news.

7 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

Lets see how Squarehead spins this into some conspiracy.

This surprise me as well. For outsiders of those circles of politicians and their ass lickers this murder attempt looks absoltely stupid. Not only this was a contract killing, but it was done using chemical agent/weapon, which is a socially dangerous method of murder. I am totally against killing people for internal political crap with methods that would hurt others. If politicians and alike what to kill each other, they should do it without endangering normal people.

Not only this was a murder attempt with chemical agent, but it was done in another country and it failed miserably. They can't even maintain a facade of Soviet-era Special services! 

On 9/27/2018 at 2:31 PM, LoooSeR said:

This surprise me as well. For outsiders of those circles of politicians and their ass lickers this murder attempt looks absoltely stupid. Not only this was a contract killing, but it was done using chemical agent/weapon, which is a socially dangerous method of murder. I am totally against killing people for internal political crap with methods that would hurt others. If politicians and alike what to kill each other, they should do it without endangering normal people.

Not only this was a murder attempt with chemical agent, but it was done in another country and it failed miserably. They can't even maintain a facade of Soviet-era Special services! 

Something does not add up at all. I am getting the impression that they wanted  to get caught. Not even total amateurs would act this way, knowing about the CCTV networks in the UK.

29 minutes ago, Laviduce said:

Something does not add up at all. I am getting the impression that they wanted  to get caught. Not even total amateurs would act this way, knowing about the CCTV networks in the UK.

I am not sure what end results of those actions they wanted to get, but i suspect that it was indeed incompetence as there are no positive effects for us.  

1 hour ago, Laviduce said:

I'm not sure how anyone could get to salisbury and back without showing up on CCTV

2 hours ago, Xlucine said:

I'm not sure how anyone could get to salisbury and back without showing up on CCTV

Stay safe Xlu, dodging clouds of our badly made chemical agents and radiactive materials is not an easy task.

I tried to elect communists in a hope that they are more competent at killing their enemies. :D

In the category of "shit we know happens but it actually got reported on",

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/university-of-montana-fined-966k-for-crime-stats-omissions

Missoula gets caught covering up crime stats on campus. 

When I was at TAMU we caught them on that shit all the time. It was a big part of the evidence we used for concealed carry on campus.

Just a reminder that officials, responsible for Russian economical sector are terrible at their job.

The Central Bank was a record investor in the yuan and lost $ 2.2 billion in reserves.
This is a new strategic victory for the head of the Central Bank Naibullina, after converting the euro to dollars in 2017, resulting in a loss of 4.5 billion dollars.

/.../

Deutsche Bank expects devaluation to 7.4 yuan per dollar in the coming year. Such a scenario will bring the Central Bank of the Russian Federation losses of an additional 8% of investments, or $ 1.8 billion.

https://www.finanz.ru/novosti/valyuty/cb-rekordno-vlozhilsya-v-yuan-i-proigral-$2-2-mlrd-rezervov-1027580215

The government intends to reduce the number of people with incomes below the minimum wage by half in 6 years.
In 2012, the same government set the same task.
It turned out so well that the number of poor people from 15.8 million in 2012 increased to 19.3 million now.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/germanys-wind-energy-mess-as-subsidies-expire-thousands-of-turbines-to-close/amp/

Germany’s Wind Energy Mess: As Subsidies Expire, Thousands Of Turbines To Close

ccdeditor On April 24, 2018

wind-turbine-broke.jpg?resize=350%2C238&As older turbines see subsidies expire, thousands are expected to be taken offline due to lack of profitability.

Green nightmare: Wind park operators eye shipping thousands of tons of wind turbine litter to third world countries – and leaving their concrete rubbish in the ground.

The Swiss national daily Baseler Zeitung here recently reported how Germany’s wind industry is facing a potential “abandonment”.

Approvals tougher to get

This is yet another blow to Germany’s Energiewende (transition to green energies). A few days ago, I reported here how the German solar industry had seen a monumental jobs’ bloodbath and investments have been slashed to a tiny fraction of what they once were.

Over the years, Germany has made approvals for new wind parks more difficult as the country reels from an unstable power grid and growing protests against the blighted landscapes and health hazards.

Now that the wind energy boom has ended, the Baseler Zeitung reports that “the shutdown of numerous wind turbines could soon lead to a drop in production” after having seen years of ruddy growth.

Subsidies for old turbines run out

Today a large number of Germany’s 29,000 total turbines nationwide are approaching 20-years-old and for the most part, they are outdated.

Worse: the generous subsidies granted at the time of their installation are slated to expire soon and thus make them unprofitable.

After 2020, thousands of these turbines will lose their subsidies with each passing year, which means they will be taken offline and mothballed.

The Baseler Zeitung writes:

The Baseler Zeitung adds that some 5,700 turbines with an installed capacity of 45 MW will see their subsidies run out by 2020.

The Swiss daily reports further:

So with new turbines coming online only slowly, it’s entirely possible that wind energy output in Germany will recede in the coming years, thus making the country appear even less serious about climate protection.

Wind turbine dump in Africa?

So what happens to the old turbines that will get taken offline?

Wind park owners hope to send their scrapped wind turbine clunkers to third-world buyers, Africa for example. But if these buyers instead opt for new energy systems, then German wind park operators will be forced to dismantle and recycle them – a costly endeavor, reports the Baseler Zeitung.

Impossible to recycle composite materials

The problem here is the large blades, which are made of fiberglass composite materials and whose components cannot be separated from each other.  Burning the blades is extremely difficult, toxic, and energy-intensive.

So naturally, there’s a huge incentive for German wind park operators to dump the old contraptions onto third-world countries, and to let them deal later with the garbage.

Sweeping garbage under the rug

Next, the Baseler Zeitung brings up the disposal of the massive 3,000-tonne reinforced concrete turbine base, which according to German law must be removed.

Some of these concrete bases reach depths of 20 meters and penetrate multiple ground layers, the Baseler Zeitung reports, adding:

Already wind park operators are circumventing this huge expense by only removing the top two meters of the concrete and steel base, and then hiding the rest with a layer of soil, the Baseler writes.

In the end, most of the concrete base will remain as garbage buried in the ground, and the above-ground turbine litter will likely get shipped to third-world countries.

That’s Germany’s Energiewende and contribution to protecting the environment and climate!

Maybe at some point people will understand that intermittent and unpredictable renewable is both an economical and ecological non-sense :/

(Especially when they have a life cycle of a mere 20 years)

Want to produce electricity?

Use nuclear if you can afford to and hydro where you can (the potential in sub-Saharian Africa is particularly huge).

Want to reduce energy consumption on heating?

Renovate old building and improve thermal insulation.

Also cut the subsidy on electrical-solar and redirect them to thermal-solar: If we don't know how to store electricity we know damn well how to store heat in water.

Want to reduce pollution due to traffic?

Densify urban area and empty rural area.

People can get around inside a city using public transportation and between city by using large scale public transport (trains for mid distance and plane for long trips).

The last part however depend largely on peoples changing their habits and accepting to reduce their use of their personal car which is something you can only encourage and hope that people will follow.

Well technically the excessive number of Humans on Earth is the prime driving factor on most environmental problems...

:rolleyes:

(Damn we reached the Godwin point way too quickly^^)

More seriously I can only hope that we manage to buy ourselves as much time as possible to allow us to tap into space resources before the next large scale war(s) happen due to various resources becoming ever scarcer.

I fear that the next wars may be even more gruesome than WWII.

46 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

More seriously I can only hope that we manage to buy ourselves as much time as possible to allow us to tap into space resources before the next large scale war(s) happen due to various resources becoming ever scarcer.

The 1970s called, they want their edgy doom and gloom back lol

On a more serious note, yes we need to "buy enough time" to get off the planet, but I think those timescales will be much longer than the doomsayers think.

9 hours ago, Alzoc said:

Want to reduce pollution due to traffic?

Densify urban area and empty rural area.

People can get around inside a city using public transportation and between city by using large scale public transport (trains for mid distance and plane for long trips).

The last part however depend largely on peoples changing their habits and accepting to reduce their use of their personal car which is something you can only encourage and hope that people will follow.

That doesn't work in the US, physically or culturally. Our transportation infrastructure is built around personal automobile ownership. We would have to demolish and rebuild entire cities for mass public transit to begin to be viable.

Culturally it doesn't work either because Americans value their freedom, which includes the ability to go wherever, whenever, with whoever and whatever you want. As a personal example, I couldn't practically use public transit because I am a gunsmith, and as such I frequently transport all manner of firearms. I don't think the local bus would appreciate me bringing a Kalashnikov on board.

I'm not even going to touch the sociopolitical impacts of urbanization like to suggested. All I can say is fuck big cities and high population density areas. I would never live in one.

Yes I'm aware that there is strong cultural block on that, even in Europe (decent public transportation is common though).

If you take France for example, completely emptying rural area would mean leaving a lot of historical and cultural heritage to rot which would be significant loss.

Some peoples don't like to leave in a city just a well as some peoples don't like to live in rural area and there isn't much you can do about that.

That's why it's mostly theoretical on that part, big city are more efficient when it comes to energy, services or transportation, but  they also have their own set of drawback (various pollutions, dependence on supplies from the outside, etc).

The urbanization trend still seem to be going strong both worldwide and in developed countries so we'll have to accompany that trend by trying to make city as convenient as possible and trying to minimize their shortcoming.