Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General news thread

Bronezhilet

20 minutes ago, Xoon said:

Not sure if anyone noticed, but Norway recently lost a Frigate in a collision with a oil tanker during operation trident:

Spoiler

d29402ed-9769-4de6-8b6e-5b38959cf8a4?fit

The Frigate apparently did not yield as it was supposed to do and collided with the oil tanker, tearing a 10m long tear in the side. This effectively sunk 20% of Norway's active frigate fleet and costs the armed forces millions. 

18622cae-ef52-4009-8b11-02cbb6253465?fit

The media absolutely loves this, and can't stop talking about the damn warship. Even the got damn engineering magazines talk about it.

Source:
https://www.nrk.no/hordaland/nato_-knm-_helge-ingstad_-drev-navigasjonstrening-da-ulykken-skjedde-1.14287721

Check Naval subforum.

18 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

The speed the fire moved at one point was insane, you would have had a hard time outrunning it in a car.  29 Deaths so far for the Camp Fire, and that's probably going to double. 

29 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Can you explain this terminology to me?

They are calling the big fire that took Paradise out, the "Camp Fire" because it was caused by a campfire or started near a park named camp, I'm not 100% on why. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/12/us/california-wildfires-woolsey-camp-hill-missing/index.html

33 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Can you explain this terminology to me?

Forest fires are named after their point of origin, namely Camp Creek Road in this instance.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-wildfires/article/Why-is-it-called-Camp-Fire-name-Butte-County-destr-13380824.php

I don't know why it's not the "Camp Creek Fire".

Also, you'll hear about "Complex" fires which are generally multiple different fires that have merged into one.

8 minutes ago, Donward said:

Forest fires are named after their point of origin, namely Camp Creek Road in this instance.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-wildfires/article/Why-is-it-called-Camp-Fire-name-Butte-County-destr-13380824.php

I don't know why it's not the "Camp Creek Fire".

Also, you'll hear about "Complex" fires which are generally multiple different fires that have merged into one.

Hah, and Don steps is actually knowing stuff!

https://nypost.com/2018/11/15/nba-star-hassan-whiteside-had-50000-gun-stolen-moments-after-buying-it/?fbclid=IwAR1i7Gd6TN5KoRzADZ12idi-RG6VCAVXEpwkyj6caQ48kdQSplikHRx-tbc

NBA star Hassan Whiteside had $50,000 gun stolen moments after buying it

November 15, 2018 | 3:14pm

Modal Trigger
Hassan Whiteside
Hassan WhitesideGetty Images

Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside had a brand-spanking-new $50,000 assault rifle stolen from his $400,000 Rolls Royce after he left the car unlocked in the parking lot of the gun store where he made the purchase.

The truly bizarre series of events happened on July 5, when Whiteside bought a Colt M16 — the same gun used by the US army — ammo, a rifle bag and a silencer from Johnson’s Firearms in Miami, according to Miami sports journalist Andy Slater.

The big man then drove off to get a workout in at the University of Miami.

According to Slater, Whiteside left his car unlocked as he practiced, and when he woke up the next day at his home, he realized his new gun and all his gear was gone.

Soon thereafter, Whiteside called police and relayed the same timeline to the cops — after purchasing the gun he only spent time at the gun store, on the University of Miami’s campus and at his home.

Surely, Whiteside believed, the gun was stolen when he was on campus.

Retracing the center’s day, cops checked security footage at The U and discovered that Whiteside was the only person who entered or exited his Rolls while he was on campus.

Two weeks after that, Whiteside and his lawyers called the police back. Apparently, Whiteside remembered that he had left the gun and all the accessories he purchased all alone in the unlocked Rolls right after he made the purchase.

With this new revelation in hand, police determined that the gun and gear were stolen from the gun-store parking lot literally minutes after Whiteside made his purchase.

Luckily for Whiteside, the gun and ammo were recovered in a stolen vehicle a few weeks later. The silencer also was eventually found.

Whiteside, who has spent his six-year NBA career with the Heat, is averaging almost 14 points, 15 rebounds and three blocks per game.

In October 2017, he posted a video on Instagram in which he is seen shooting an MK18 assault rifle that he said he owned.

2 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

https://nypost.com/2018/11/15/nba-star-hassan-whiteside-had-50000-gun-stolen-moments-after-buying-it/?fbclid=IwAR1i7Gd6TN5KoRzADZ12idi-RG6VCAVXEpwkyj6caQ48kdQSplikHRx-tbc

NBA star Hassan Whiteside had $50,000 gun stolen moments after buying it

November 15, 2018 | 3:14pm

Modal Trigger
Hassan Whiteside
Hassan WhitesideGetty Images

Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside had a brand-spanking-new $50,000 assault rifle stolen from his $400,000 Rolls Royce after he left the car unlocked in the parking lot of the gun store where he made the purchase.

The truly bizarre series of events happened on July 5, when Whiteside bought a Colt M16 — the same gun used by the US army — ammo, a rifle bag and a silencer from Johnson’s Firearms in Miami, according to Miami sports journalist Andy Slater.

The big man then drove off to get a workout in at the University of Miami.

According to Slater, Whiteside left his car unlocked as he practiced, and when he woke up the next day at his home, he realized his new gun and all his gear was gone.

Soon thereafter, Whiteside called police and relayed the same timeline to the cops — after purchasing the gun he only spent time at the gun store, on the University of Miami’s campus and at his home.

Surely, Whiteside believed, the gun was stolen when he was on campus.

Retracing the center’s day, cops checked security footage at The U and discovered that Whiteside was the only person who entered or exited his Rolls while he was on campus.

Two weeks after that, Whiteside and his lawyers called the police back. Apparently, Whiteside remembered that he had left the gun and all the accessories he purchased all alone in the unlocked Rolls right after he made the purchase.

With this new revelation in hand, police determined that the gun and gear were stolen from the gun-store parking lot literally minutes after Whiteside made his purchase.

Luckily for Whiteside, the gun and ammo were recovered in a stolen vehicle a few weeks later. The silencer also was eventually found.

Whiteside, who has spent his six-year NBA career with the Heat, is averaging almost 14 points, 15 rebounds and three blocks per game.

In October 2017, he posted a video on Instagram in which he is seen shooting an MK18 assault rifle that he said he owned.

Seems like that asshole should be charged with something. What a fucking idiot.

This isn't new news, or really hard hitting news, but for Americans my age who watched TV, it's pretty weird.

VL4eh41.jpg

I thought this was just some bullshit meme shit. 

But nope. He's got permanent memory loss.

Frankie Muniz got his first concussion at age 7 while playing goalie in a soccer game.

The next one came when he tripped and fell on his head during basketball. Two more occurred during pee-wee football around 7th grade, and he’s not sure when the rest followed — though he does recall getting a few while racing cars in his early 20s after starring on Malcolm in the Middle.

All told, Muniz has suffered from nine concussions — a revelation he made during Monday’s episode of Dancing With the Stars. But his shocking admission, which also included his matter-of-fact pronouncement that he doesn’t remember starring in the popular Fox sitcom, only grazed the surface. In a candid interview with EW after Monday’s show, Muniz said he’s been in and out of ERs and doctors offices after suffering from “at least” 15 transient ischemic attacks (or TIAs), otherwise known as mini-strokes that involve a temporary clot or blockage in the brain.

His first one hit in 2012 when he was riding his motorcycle. He lost his peripheral vision but miraculously made it home alive, though he barely recognized his then girlfriend and mom. He couldn’t understand what they were trying to say.

He went to an ER, but answers were scarce. And they would remain that way.

“By that point, I already had nine concussions,” recalls Muniz. “But concussions don’t usually correlate with TIAs. The doctors did every test. A lot of times with TIAs, there’s a small hole in heart that causes it. Clots go to the brain and you have a mini-stroke. I don’t have that hole.”

In fact, Muniz says, he’s always been a healthy guy. “I’m 31, I’ve never sipped alcohol, I’ve never touched a drug or taken a drag of a cigarette. The only thing I’ve felt was stress. I’m a high-strung person. I just like to always be moving. I’m not good at relaxing.”

Muniz says he gave up trying to get answers, particularly because it hasn’t hindered his zest to try new things. After Malcolm ended in 2006, he raced cars professionally for several years before changing direction and playing drums in two different rock bands. He now manages one in his spare time and hopes to return to acting.

“It’s not something I think about. I don’t go, ‘Oh man I’m really scared, I really need to know,'” Muniz says of the TIAs. “I just move forward.”

He’s equally as nonchalant about his lack of memory, like how he doesn’t remember the feeling of receiving his first Emmy nomination in 2001 for his work on Malcolm. In fact, that’s the moment that DWTS wanted to focus on Monday as part of its “Most Memorable Year” theme. But Muniz was unable to play alongsince he doesn’t remember much from those six years on the sitcom, much less getting a nomination for the show.

"Western Europe is part of the free world"
"Hate speech laws are OK and aren't a slippery slope ripe for abuse"

Guy states that some EU countries are set to sign a non-binding agreement on expanding hate speech legislation, especially in regards to criticism towards EU immigration policies.  When the EU first came to be, they probably should have gone for something that doesn't sound so much like "Soviet Union".  What a shitshow

Found an article with a couple more details in it

https://euobserver.com/foreign/143545

Full clip in spoiler

Spoiler