Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General news thread

Bronezhilet

On 2/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

kVMCDyd_d.jpg

@Xoon

Report?

In a ground-survey it was found huge amounts of pure copper in the Nussir-area, in Repparfjord. The Norwegian government gave the green light to start mining the vein. This was disliked by the local Sami who claim they lost land for their reindeer, and of course the usual backlash from environmentalists. 

Their issue is the mining waste. A dumping are will be constructed, as far as I am aware, they are filling in a portion so isolate it from the rest of the fjord. It takes up roughly 15% of the area. Everything in this area will die, but it is estimated that 10 years after the mining is done, the local fauna will returned to normal levels. 

It has also been taken special measures to not impact the local reindeer population.

So yes, they are dumping mining waste into the fjord, but no, it is not into the open sea, but a purpose built dumping area. Yes the local fauna will die, but it is estimated that it will return. It is unknown weather it will impact the reindeer population, but most point to not. 

Repparfjord is located in the most Northern part of Norway. Almost all fish produced in Norway is produced in fisheries, which are located in the middle/center parts of the country.  So it would not impact the fishing industry. The Sami only live as reindeer herders as a way to maintain traditions, and are granted special rights because of their status. They tend to be very overprotective of their rights, which is why they backlashed.  Of course, this was picked up by the biggest newspaper in Norway, and made into a rage-bait hit piece. A lot of lies and provocation to fire up the environmentalists in the capital. 

42ebcb70-c85a-4f08-b174-d7ddd8dfba4c?fit

For now, I would hire some biologists to analyse the area and impact of mining to get a extended of the risk. It probably has already been done by the government, but it has not gone mainstream.  But to be honest, Northern Norway is very poor(the counties, not the populace), with a shrinking population, they want this badly. 

13 minutes ago, Xoon said:

42ebcb70-c85a-4f08-b174-d7ddd8dfba4c?fit

This protest looks about par for the course. You have: 

A. Young, female, obese, “progressive” far left winger with colored hair. 

B. Old, female, probably man hating, far left spinster. 

C. Your pasty beta male trying to look “progressive” in the hopes he will get laid. 

D. And finally, a random minority so the rest of the shithead protesters can say their protest is “diverse”, or something equally retarded. 

Anyway, that mining operation sounds pretty normal: you gotta put the waste product somewhere, no matter what you’re mining, and since copper is in pretty high demand, I think this would be a good operation, so long as the toxic stuff stays where it’s suppose to. 

4 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

I hadn't ever even heard of the guy before. This just came across my FB feed. But Jesus tittyfucking Christ that was dumb.

I'd never heard about the guy before either. But ALL the American TV networks, newspapers, and media coverage have been giving this guy massive coverage for the past two weeks... and coverage that basically bought his story that two white guys were standing around in Chicago wearing #maga hats, during the height of the Polar Vortex, carrying a noose and bleach in order to go queer stomping.

It was obvious this story was a fake from the outset.

And truthfully, most "hate crimes" being committed these days and given coverage, have been fakes too.

1 hour ago, Donward said:

I'd never heard about the guy before either. But ALL the American TV networks, newspapers, and media coverage have been giving this guy massive coverage for the past two weeks... and coverage that basically bought his story that two white guys were standing around in Chicago wearing #maga hats, during the height of the Polar Vortex, carrying a noose and bleach in order to go queer stomping.

It was obvious this story was a fake from the outset.

And truthfully, most "hate crimes" being committed these days and given coverage, have been fakes too.

I don't know about you, but I love spending my Tuesday nights walking around in biblically adverse weather looking for minorities to commit hate crimes upon.

See, this is what you get when you don't hire American labor! Those hired thugs just rolled over and squealed on him in a heart beat. Good help is hard to find these days.

23 hours ago, Donward said:

No surprise to anyone with half a brain.

Rather amused the Chicago PD did not dissapear the two hirelings.

Guess his PR budget is not as large as it should be, to be playing such games.

13 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

He apparently paid these two Nigerian guys 3500 dollars to do this. 

What a dumbass. He could have gone to any trailer park in the Midwest and had them knock him around for  20 bucks and a case of Miller.

He has earned all the fucks he has so thoroughly worked for.

may he enjoy fully, their bounty.

Chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces Valery Gerasimov met with the chairman of the Committee of the Chiefs of Staff of the US Armed Forces Joseph Dunford.
/.../
   The commanders exchanged assessments on the development of the situation in the Syrian Arab Republic. The importance of continuing to work together on incident prevention issues was emphasized.

In addition, during the meeting, the sides discussed issues of strategic stability and regional security, including those relating to missile defense, treaties on reducing strategic offensive weapons and eliminating medium-range and shorter-range missiles. The meeting was constructive.

RAwuUus.jpg

Spoiler

yKFmMlb.jpg

oPiY6Lr.jpg

5P9jVwm.jpg

By the decision of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, the Commander of the Quds forces of the IRGC, Major General Suleymani, received the highest military award of Iran - the Order of Solfar (Zulfikar). He became the first military leader to be awarded this award after the 1979 revolution.
   Qasem Suleymani is celebrating 62 years on March 11th.

2591453_1000.jpg

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html

Parents paid up to 6 million dollars to get their kids into college.  About 50 people were arrested on fraud charges.

Some of it is absurd.  Ringers for the SAT.  Bribing coaches to recruit non-athletes who then suffer injuries once they step on campus.

Whatever happened to just putting up a building Thornton Melon style?

28 minutes ago, Domus Acipenseris said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html

Parents paid up to 6 million dollars to get their kids into college.  About 50 people were arrested on fraud charges.

Some of it is absurd.  Ringers for the SAT.  Bribing coaches to recruit non-athletes who then suffer injuries once they step on campus.

Whatever happened to just putting up a building Thornton Melon style?

I was thinking the same thing! The Melon Center for Good Business!

RIP my MySpace account.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/mar/18/myspace-loses-all-content-uploaded-before-2016

Some have questioned how the embattled company, which was purchased by Time Inc in 2016, could make such a blunder. “I’m deeply sceptical this was an accident,” wrote the web expert Andy Baio. “Flagrant incompetence may be bad PR, but it still sounds better than, ‘We can’t be bothered with the effort and cost of migrating and hosting 50m old MP3s.’”

Myspace initially claimed the deletion was a temporary error, with customer support staff telling one user: “I have been informed the issue will be fixed.” But by July last year it was publicly acknowledging that no such fix was forthcoming.

ASTANA, March 23 - RIA News. The new president of Kazakhstan, Kasym-Zhomart Tokayev, signed a decree on renaming the capital. This was reported by the press service of the head of state. Astana officially renamed to Nur-Sultan.

The first president of Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev, announced on March 19 that he was retiring. He transferred the powers to Tokayev as the Speaker of the Senate of Parliament - he will act as head of state until the next elections scheduled for 2020.

The next day, Tokayev took the oath and made a proposal to rename the capital Nur-Sultan, and the deputies approved the relevant amendments to the constitution.

Let's rename Kazakhstan to Nursultanstan as well.