Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General news thread

Bronezhilet

http://imp-navigator.livejournal.com/645992.html

Against the background of the ongoing confrontation between India and China around the Dunlan plateau at the junction of the borders of China, India and Bhutan, Chinese troops are conducting exercises in Tibet and are sending reinforcements there.

DF-16s

cffe84da2abf.jpg

More:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, LostCosmonaut said:

Skeptical since it uses watts as a unit of energy, but if true it sounds pretty cool.

https://www.army.mil/article/191212/army_discovery_may_offer_new_energy_source

"We all as a team were very excited and ecstatic that something good had happened," said Dr. Anit Giri, 

That is so unintentionally funny, I had to share.

4 hours ago, LostCosmonaut said:

Skeptical since it uses watts as a unit of energy, but if true it sounds pretty cool.

https://www.army.mil/article/191212/army_discovery_may_offer_new_energy_source

Also, hold the fucking phone.

They are splitting H20 into H2 and O2 by a catalytic reaction with nano alloy at room temp with no other energy source?

I'm gonna call tentative bullshit on the article, unless there's something they aren't telling us. And I'm sure there is. 

If it's legit, this stuff would be cool as hell. I've worked with hydrolysis before, and there's only a few people out there doing it right. The best way is high-voltage high-pressure reactors currently.

Local news on the radio: "President Trump says that we are ready to respond to North Korea, but we don't have a carrier group off the coast of the Korean peninsula, and we only have 6 B-1 bombers stationed on Guam."

Not even counting the 8 Ohio class boomers that we have lurking in the Pacific, 6 Bones is more than enough to carpet nuke that shit hole.

15 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Also, hold the fucking phone.

They are splitting H20 into H2 and O2 by a catalytic reaction with nano alloy at room temp with no other energy source?

I'm gonna call tentative bullshit on the article, unless there's something they aren't telling us. And I'm sure there is. 

If it's legit, this stuff would be cool as hell. I've worked with hydrolysis before, and there's only a few people out there doing it right. The best way is high-voltage high-pressure reactors currently.

I got the impression it was 3H2O + Al2 -> 3H2 + Al2O3 or similar, like thermite. Is that thermodynamically feasible?

5 hours ago, Xlucine said:

I got the impression it was 3H2O + Al2 -> 3H2 + Al2O3 or similar, like thermite. Is that thermodynamically feasible?

Yeah, it's an oxidation reaction for sure. Here's what I found on the issue. 

Reaction of Aluminum and Water, Department of Energy

Of interest,

In the vicinity of room temperature, the reaction between aluminum metal and water to form aluminum hydroxide and hydrogen is the following: 2Al + 6H2O = 2Al(OH)3 + 3H2. The gravimetric hydrogen capacity from this reaction is 3.7 wt.% and the volumetric hydrogen capacity is 46 g H2/L.

Also, a little dig at Hydrogen Fuelcell cars. Because fuck that concept.

The concept of using the aluminum-water reaction to provide on board hydrogen for hydrogen powered vehicles presents a number of difficulties. First, storage systems using this approach will not be able to meet the 2010 DOE system targets of 6 wt.% hydrogen and 45 grams hydrogen per liter. Second, based on published aluminum-water reaction rate kinetics, it appears difficult for this approach to meet the DOE minimum hydrogen flow rate target for fuel-cell powered vehicles.

Finally, the cost of producing hydrogen by this approach is dictated by the cost of aluminum metal. The November 2007 commodity price for aluminum is $2.36 per kg. At this price, hydrogen from an aluminum-water hydrogen generation approach would cost approximately $21 per kg H2. Even assuming high volume production, the DOE target range for hydrogen cost of $2-3 per kg H2 would not be met. Additionally, the supply of aluminum required for mass market vehicle applications may be problematic. While aluminum-water reaction systems cannot meet the targets for on-board vehicular hydrogen storage, the use of aluminum as a water splitting agent for generating hydrogen might have utility for non-vehicular applications.

MOSCOW, August 14 (Itar-Tass) The FSB detained members of a group that was preparing explosions in transport, major markets and shopping malls in the capital, the Security service said.

Among the detainees are the ISIS emissar, who oversaw the preparation of crimes, an explosives expert and two suicide bombers. Investigators also neutralized the laboratory for the production of explosives.
   The group included one Russian and three citizens of Central Asian countries.