Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Competition: A modern medium AFV

Toxn

Tentative announcement I may actually be withdrawing from this, I just don't really have the drawing or art software using skills to make anything that looks remotely decent.

I'm not a judge, but I assume you'll be judged on your design choices and the reasoning behind them, not shiny pictures.

Yeah, absolutely, just because I'm using SW doesn't mean nobody else should compete. For one thing, my submission is just one idea out of many, and I want to see what everyone else comes up with.

Having said that, Baberams now has (really bad) tracks and fenders:

XE8pq7q.png

Total weight right now is estimated at 34 tonnes. The tracks are shit because I couldn't find reference figures for Bradley tracks beyond the dimensions you see here, also because effort lol. As you can see, I have 7 roadwheels and one idler, which is a standard Brad roadwheel instead of a Bradley idler. The drive sprocket is supposed to be about the same size as the Bradley drive sprocket, although it may be better to use a new, bigger diameter sprocket.

Well, Bradley tracks weigh whatever they will weigh given the individual components.

Point is, this tank will be well and truly coming up on the 38 tonne limit by the time I'm done. I'll throw out an estimate at the end that will be massaged, because the tank will be heavier in some respects than it should be, so I am going to hand-wave and say it evens out once I have a decent estimate in hand.

Updated my worksheet. Current overall weight estimate is standing at 34.64 tonnes. At this point, I feel pretty good about that, and am fixing the weight estimate at 35 tonnes. There's a lot of shit that needs to be added, but I also know for a fact that there are a ton of armor plates on the tank that don't need to be there and/or don't need to be as thick as they are (the hull box is, for example, literally 40mm all around, and there are no holes for the engine, suspension, etc like there should be). So, because effort is for suckers, the tank weighs 35 tonnes.

Also, for those thinking "Wtf I will never be able to make something like that", it's made with the use of only a few SW base features: Extrude, Cut, Chamfer, Pattern and last but not least, Mirror.

Like I said before, I can teach whoever wants to learn SolidWorks the basis of the program. I don't know if I'm allowed to link torrents here, but they're out there. If you have SolidWorks and want to learn the basics, poke me on Teamspeak.

Also, since I'm providing the price, I won't be participating for the win. But if the judges somehow decide I should win, I'll give the prices to the person in second place.