Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Toxn

Competition: A modern medium AFV

Tentative announcement I may actually be withdrawing from this, I just don't really have the drawing or art software using skills to make anything that looks remotely decent.

Tentative announcement I may actually be withdrawing from this, I just don't really have the drawing or art software using skills to make anything that looks remotely decent.

I'm not a judge, but I assume you'll be judged on your design choices and the reasoning behind them, not shiny pictures.

Yeah, absolutely, just because I'm using SW doesn't mean nobody else should compete. For one thing, my submission is just one idea out of many, and I want to see what everyone else comes up with.

Having said that, Baberams now has (really bad) tracks and fenders:

XE8pq7q.png

Total weight right now is estimated at 34 tonnes. The tracks are shit because I couldn't find reference figures for Bradley tracks beyond the dimensions you see here, also because effort lol. As you can see, I have 7 roadwheels and one idler, which is a standard Brad roadwheel instead of a Bradley idler. The drive sprocket is supposed to be about the same size as the Bradley drive sprocket, although it may be better to use a new, bigger diameter sprocket.

Conventional metal link tracks for a fast-moving military tracklayer should be 10% of the total weight or so IIRC.  Band tracks are somewhat lighter.

I'll try and put up a guide on how to do weight accounting.  Maybe this weekend.

Well, Bradley tracks weigh whatever they will weigh given the individual components.

Point is, this tank will be well and truly coming up on the 38 tonne limit by the time I'm done. I'll throw out an estimate at the end that will be massaged, because the tank will be heavier in some respects than it should be, so I am going to hand-wave and say it evens out once I have a decent estimate in hand.

Updated my worksheet. Current overall weight estimate is standing at 34.64 tonnes. At this point, I feel pretty good about that, and am fixing the weight estimate at 35 tonnes. There's a lot of shit that needs to be added, but I also know for a fact that there are a ton of armor plates on the tank that don't need to be there and/or don't need to be as thick as they are (the hull box is, for example, literally 40mm all around, and there are no holes for the engine, suspension, etc like there should be). So, because effort is for suckers, the tank weighs 35 tonnes.

Also, for those thinking "Wtf I will never be able to make something like that", it's made with the use of only a few SW base features: Extrude, Cut, Chamfer, Pattern and last but not least, Mirror.

Like I said before, I can teach whoever wants to learn SolidWorks the basis of the program. I don't know if I'm allowed to link torrents here, but they're out there. If you have SolidWorks and want to learn the basics, poke me on Teamspeak.

Also, since I'm providing the price, I won't be participating for the win. But if the judges somehow decide I should win, I'll give the prices to the person in second place.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By EnsignExpendable
      Since I clearly have too much time on my hands, and Jeeps has a pretty cool tread going on, I decided that I'm going to do the same thing, but for T-34s. Here's a quick sample that I whipped up last night, I'm probably going to cover major exterior features of at least wartime T-34s and T-34-85s, then we'll see. I'll update the document in batches per organic time period rather than some arbitrary year-based cutoff. 

Post constructive criticism and the T-34-iest pics you got
    • By Walter_Sobchak
      Today somebody sent me an email asking if I had any material showing what the bottom of the T-34 looked like.  Glancing through my books on the topic, none really show this view of the vehicle.  The guy asking is working on a series of T-34 models and wants as much detail as possible.  Anyone got something on this?
    • By Collimatrix
      Since we've got the new AFV design competition going and not everyone has solidworks, I thought I would share this information from Technology of Tanks so those who do not have CAD/CAM programs could come up with a reasonable accounting of what a tank ought to weigh:
      -Armor usually contribute between 35% and 51% of the total mass of the vehicle. The lower figure is typical for light tanks, the higher for MBTs. If the armor were reduced to the minimum necessary for structural purposes it would still be about 20% of the total mass. The highest figure on record is 57% for the armor of the IS-3.
      -The tracks contribute about 8% to 10% of the mass of the vehicle in the case of steel link tracks. On a fast track-laying combat vehicle the tracks are getting slung around over all sorts of rocks and whatnot, so they need to be tough, which means that they're heavy. Band tracks weigh 25%-50% less than steel link tracks, but band tracks can only be used on lighter vehicles. The heaviest vehicle I know of that uses band tracks is the Turkish Tulpar IFV at 32 tonnes.
      -Suspensions contribute about 8% to 10% of the total mass of the vehicle. Hydropneumatic suspensions are the lightest, but not by an enormous margin. Higher performance suspensions weigh more.
      -The power pack, that is the engine and the transmission together, account for about 12% of the vehicle's mass.
      -Guns typically contribute 3% to 7% of the total mass of the vehicle, although cramming the very largest gun possible into the very smallest tank possible can bring this up to about 10%.
      -Ammo generally weighs less than the gun. Fuel weighs about the same as ammo.
      On any fictional or notional tank design, I'll be looking to see if the weight of the components are within these bounds. If they're not there had better be a damned good explanation.
    • By Toxn
      Dear [iNSERT NAME OF COMPANY REPRESENTATIVE HERE],

Congratulations!
      Your company has been selected to partake in a competition to design an aircraft for the Republic of Kerbalia. The competition will be in the form of a fly-off, with entrant designs being assessed relative to each other and the current front-line multirole fighter of the Republic (specifications included in data pack attached hereto).

Should you choose to partake in this process, initial development funds of up to 40 000 Kerbalians will be made available to you. Technological limitations being what they are, the use of speculative engine designs (SABRE et al.) will not be accepted as a means of achieving competition goals.

The aircraft submitted must be of the multirole fighter type, with the ability to perform a variety of missions while still being able to outfight current aircraft on a 1-to-1 basis. Significant leeway will, however, provided as to the details of the design. If required, a flyable example of the current front-line aircraft will be provided for internal comparison.

Submissions must include, at minimum:
      - A name and internal design number (a prototype designation number will be assigned)
      - A full list of specifications
      - A background and detailed description 
      - One or more images of the submission

We wish you the best of luck with your undertakings in this regards.

Yours Sincerely,

Lotho Kerman

Head Company Wrangler,
      Department of Defence,
      Republic of Kerbalia