Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The corners of the cylinder also provide a convenient location to keep the tungsten pellets that get ejected forward, if forward ejecting fragmentation is your thing.

On a related tangent, I wonder if you could do fancy stuff as described here to improve airbursting HE? Something like set the blast pattern to spray more fragments sideways and less upwards and down, depending on the angle the round is at due to the rifling? It's a pretty tight timing window, but it's predictable so shouldn't be as hard as reacting to the presence of an aircraft over a similar time period (of course, AA missiles normally have longer to react than that).

On 6/3/2018 at 3:45 AM, Ramlaen said:

Someone like @Bronezhilet could answer this better but the probe on the front of the DM11 has to do with the aerodynamic stabilization of the projectile and not a HEAT warhead mechanic. Note that with the two you can see a cutaway of the 'armor piercing' part is the shell wall between the pellets and the explosive filler.

I do not know the technical specs of each well enough to say one has an advantage or disadvantage over the others. As far as I am aware they are functionally equal.

No idea, shape stabilisation is essentially the worst type of stabilisation. And looking at the other two they could have used fin stabilisation without running into Cg/Cl problems.

18 hours ago, Renegade334 said:

Well, that probe does act like an aerospike - it basically creates a bow shock (AKA detached shock) in front of the shell's body to reduce aerodynamic drag. You can even see the ring near the tip of the probe that helps form an optimal detached shockwave that doesn't enter in contact with the shell body.

Basically correct, but not entirely correct. The things the shockwave does near the shoulder are kinda fucky.

On 6/4/2018 at 6:39 AM, Bronezhilet said:

No idea, shape stabilisation is essentially the worst type of stabilisation. And looking at the other two they could have used fin stabilisation without running into Cg/Cl problems.

Isn`t it finstabilized? It has only 4 fins vs. the 6+ of the other two types, but the fins are larger...

Interesting, is it a manually set fuse? If so I guess that means airburst is out of the question since I dont see a range dial. Ive never heard of Mesko, guess they wanted to buy domestic since the 120mm HE-T from NAMMO offers the exact same capability with a 2-mode manually set fuse. And its already been tested on the Leopard 2.

120mm-IM-HE-T-with-cutaway.png

imhet1_1509156988.jpg

New electromagnetic pulse warhead proposed to defeat APS

A potential weak spot for APS is their reliance on networked sensors to detect and defeat incoming missiles, which are susceptible to electronic attack and jamming. TDW's solution is an all-in-one missile designed to first disable the sensors and electronics with an EM pulse, then follow this with a traditional tank-destroying warhead.

The EMP warhead can be integrated onto different sized missiles and uses a unique system featuring an antenna, an HF source and capacitors.

The main feature of the warhead is the flux compression generator which converts high explosive energy into a high-powered EM pulse.

11 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 'normal' Mk44, Mk44 Stretched, and XM813?

In a simple to understand way. 

Stretch = legacy mk44 with programmable airburst added

XM813 = longer barrel, different recoil system, Meggitt linkless ammo boxes on both sides of the gun

Edited by Ramlaen

5 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Stretched = 40x180mm

XM813 = longer barrel, different recoil system, Meggitt linkless ammo boxes on both sides of the gun

Wait, 40mm? How?

The Namer and Eitan have turrets with the stretched version, and RAFAEL is marketing its Samson turret with the Mk44-S as well. And all claim 30mm. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 8:19 AM, Vicious_CB said:

Interesting, is it a manually set fuse? If so I guess that means airburst is out of the question since I dont see a range dial. Ive never heard of Mesko, guess they wanted to buy domestic since the 120mm HE-T from NAMMO offers the exact same capability with a 2-mode manually set fuse. And its already been tested on the Leopard 2

Polish Pz.511 HE 120mm is orginally polish ammo - developed since 2002. Basicly it's...recalibrated 125mm OF-19 new unitary catrige.

iXW6q0r.jpg

ade8lKT.jpg

Indeed polish industru is looking for programable upgreade of the Pz.511. The problem is that all best solutions are secure by patents.

BTW: Polish :Leopard 2PL  will have german programable munition standard - the same as for DM-11.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.janes.com/article/81952/zvs-completes-125-mm-tapna-ammunition-development

ZVS completes 125 mm Tapna ammunition development

Christopher F Foss, London - Jane's International Defence Review
24 July 2018

Slovakia’s ZVS has completed development of its latest two-piece 125 mm armour-piercing fin-stabilised discarding sabot-tracer (APFSDS-T) ammunition.

Called the Tapna, this has been designed for the 125 mm 2A46-series smoothbore guns installed in the Russian T-72 and T-90 main battle tanks (MBTs), as well as export MBTs based on these designs, such as the former Yugoslavia’s M-84 and Ukraine’s T-84.

The ZVS 125 mm Tapna ammunition comprises the projectile (left) and the 125 mm combustible cartridge case (right). (Christopher F Foss)

The ZVS 125 mm Tapna ammunition comprises the projectile (left) and the 125 mm combustible cartridge case (right). (Christopher F Foss)

The company claims that the round can penetrate at least 550 mm of rolled homogenous armour (RHA) at a range of 2,000 m.

The sub-calibre penetrator is made of tungsten alloy with a three-part sabot, which is stabilised in flight by rear-mounted fins

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

I know it may look kinda big, but you gotta remember this is a 76mm plate. You can stack up 2 of these and still hold them with 2 fingers.

It was more of having an 'official' number (sans range) for penetration. I am sort of curious about GD calling it M919 since that was a DU round.

Apparently GD has offered M919 in both DU and tungsten for some time now.

And because I can't remember if it was posted here before, testing 25mm programmable airburst.

Edited by Ramlaen