Sturgeon's House

Rheinmetall's 25 x 137 mm PMB 090 APFSDS with tungsten penetrator defeats 35 mm steel sloped at 60° at a range of 1,000 m, although older documents from Oerlikon list the same penetration at 1,200 m distance (probably a result of different penetration criteria).

The 25 mm APFSDS from GD should achieve a very similar penetration, maybe a tiny bit lower due to its (negibly) lower velocity (5 m/s) and shorter penetrator.

tVCRyJw.jpg

This display was present at the German Army Open Day at the Wehrtechnische Dienststelle 91 in Meppen. I did not take a picture, because the doors were obscuring the subject. They had a lot of current DM53 and DM63 rounds on display, either complete or cutaway. Very interesting.

They also did live fire demonstrations with the LARS, Puma, Leopard 2 and PzH2000. Fun to watch. A Leopard driving down range, firing a shot is quite impressive. 

16 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Howdy

It appears the steel isn't these blocks, but thin sheets between the blocks. If you look carefully you can see each block is split in two. These are perhaps 2 large chunks of some soft material holding a very thin steel plate, a few centimeters at best. Although we do see some spalling.

4 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

It appears the steel isn't these blocks, but thin sheets between the blocks. If you look carefully you can see each block is split in two. These are perhaps 2 large chunks of some soft material holding a very thin steel plate, a few centimeters at best. Although we do see some spalling.

Yeah it is very misleading by using such wide posts on the ends.

C2mERPo.jpg

1 hour ago, N-L-M said:

I like the Sabra prototype they have parked there. Looks like the one that was in many of their brochures a decade or so back.

Yeah that was one of the evolutions in the Sabra family, had it been purchased outside Turkey, or if ties with Turkey wouldn't have been severed.

It was seen not too long ago with a gun. I wonder why they took it off.

It's probably used as a gun-testing platform for upgrades to the 120mm gun or for ammunition.
A damaged barrel from a failed test or just wear from over-use would see it removed for inspection before replacement.

1537602347-xm815-105mm-heat-mp.png

Avco Systems Division XM815 105mm HEAT-MP projectile. 

Its muzzle velocity of 1174 m/s was the same as that of the M456 projectile which it was designed to replace but, because of the lower drag of its pointed nose body and the stability provided by its slender pop-out fins, it proved significantly more accurate.

The UK wants a 'swimmer' round for its 30mm guns. Developed by Nammo, this is an only slightly modified APFSDS - the sharp tip is replaced by a blunt one. 

a42b0129650feec838546012e715af54.jpg

The round is intended for Type 23 frigates, and will replace standard APFSDS rounds as it is considered to have the same penetration power but with an additional role.

Article here:

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/imps-news/ausa-2018-30mm-swimmer-round-set-more-uk-trials/