Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

6 hours ago, Jackvony said:

I can try to take more pictures today, especially to compare with photos of M829A3. I mentioned the hypothesis stated earlier in this thread that the datalink is used to program some kind of precursor to fly infront of the round to defeat heavy ERA to the Master Sergeant in charge of the display. He asked me if my parents worked for the military and when I said no, shook his head, smiled, and told me I knew too much. I know this is "heresay" but to me, it's pretty good confirmation you guys are on the right track.

And and that this info's came public due to sevral polish military journalist in 2015 ;-)

More seriously - sucht german patent:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/4a/31/76/4c24841d62e3ce/US20180224251A1.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1SAv9tFXS7rPPAqhy4YDU6Cu10vt5sGK7tYRqBN8BW55NaOliQHJI-JLA

Show this idea:

QE8geVi.jpg

When we are talking sevral years ago the only posiblities to overcome sucht thick and multi-ERA-layerd armour like on Oplot-M (whit some consist Lmax for western 120mm ammo) was to change idea of the attack, and infos about data-link for M829E4, Nexter OLF-F1NG, and...KE2020 whare some aditional help to think how to hell it could work.

And really the only resonable option is detached during fly precursor -in fact it can be very elegeant and simply solution but onnly whit state-of-art metalurgy. Just metal  conection beetween main rod and precursor which overheat during fly  lets go "precursor" - rest is pure areodynamic or in more complex way - small air breakers somwhere near fins or tracer - just tiny ones to very small incarase aerodynamic resistance.

So these are the measurements I made counting pixels. Feel free to critique. I'm afraid I was unable to get a picture of the bottom as I wasn't allowed to pick the round up. I'm tempted to bring a meter-stick down to measure the thing but I'll probably look waaaaayyy too suspicious. Already got some weird looks for measuring the add-on armor on a Bradley (35-55mm plates, thicker plates on the front turret).S3Lgg2l.jpg

4 hours ago, Jackvony said:

So these are the measurements I made counting pixels. Feel free to critique. I'm afraid I was unable to get a picture of the bottom as I wasn't allowed to pick the round up. I'm tempted to bring a meter-stick down to measure the thing but I'll probably look waaaaayyy too suspicious. Already got some weird looks for measuring the add-on armor on a Bradley (35-55mm plates, thicker plates on the front turret).

hmm I'm measuring with paint.net select tool and I was getting 21mm after measuring 90-92 pixels(lighting can be tricky with shiny metal apparantly) I broke it down to 4.358:1 pixel to mm.

And I am also wondering how others pixel measured the penetrator core to be between 780 and 840mm when I use the sabot diameter as the scale and measure a bit shorter. and this is measuring by placing a selected section of the rod to the tip where the diamater is at the maximum before the windshield is too thin to fit, then making a select highlight all the way down to the end that is inside the fin assembely. 3181 pixels measured and that puts me at 729.92mm almost like they shrunk it down a tad compared to the m829a3. I am confused on where I could have done wrong.

https://imgur.com/a/VyV5q3k

Edited by CaptainBallistic
some corrections after finding an error

On 9/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, Jackvony said:

I can try to take more pictures today, especially to compare with photos of M829A3. I mentioned the hypothesis stated earlier in this thread that the datalink is used to program some kind of precursor to fly infront of the round to defeat heavy ERA to the Master Sergeant in charge of the display. He asked me if my parents worked for the military and when I said no, shook his head, smiled, and told me I knew too much. I know this is "heresay" but to me, it's pretty good confirmation you guys are on the right track.

It is very unlikely that this hypothesis is correct. The effort of launching a "precursor" tip at the pre-determined distance is too much to be viable (not only the volume taken up by the fuze and explosive charge, but also the cable running to the back of the fins will create issues in an APFSDS penetrator). Chances are high that the Master Sergeant doesn't know the exact working mechanism of the round either.

M829A4 has essentially same velocity as M829A3 (based on US reports), so the mass will be similar.

19 hours ago, Militarysta said:

The tip section is screwed in by hand and it is implied that this is mostly related to the qualification process of the ammunition (otherwise the loader would need to know which tip is best suited for which specific target, which is pretty hard to achieve once autoloaders are added into the mixture).

10 hours ago, SH_MM said:

It is very unlikely that this hypothesis is correct. The effort of launching a "precursor" tip at the pre-determined distance is too much to be viable (not only the volume taken up by the fuze and explosive charge, but also the cable running to the back of the fins will create issues in an APFSDS penetrator). Chances are high that the Master Sergeant doesn't know the exact working mechanism of the round either.

M829A4 has essentially same velocity as M829A3 (based on US reports), so the mass will be similar.

The tip section is screwed in by hand and it is implied that this is mostly related to the qualification process of the ammunition (otherwise the loader would need to know which tip is best suited for which specific target, which is pretty hard to achieve once autoloaders are added into the mixture).

But is anyone able to answer why a new round has suddenly been put on public display? I'd usually expect this to be more tight lipped for another decade at least. Heck even the M829A3 to my knowledge still doesn't have official measurements out.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:12 AM, CaptainBallistic said:

But is anyone able to answer why a new round has suddenly been put on public display?

It is very normal, nothing special. Dimensions and velocity of M829A4 were already confirmed during development (due to US Army's report on development programs). Many countries display even their new rounds before they enter service.

• 2 weeks later...

A recent article from the Drive about the US military planning on disposing of old DU ammo has some interesting implications for the M1128 Stryker MGS and the coming MPF 'light tank'.

Among the old ammunition to be disposed of is stocks of 105mm M833 and M900 APFSDS, as both the aforementioned vehicles are armed with a 105mm this would leave them without a KE anti armor round.

Additionally the US Army only recently started procuring M724A2, a training round ballistically matched to M900. Its predecessors, M724 and M724A1, were ballistically matched to M392 APDS.

With this I see a few possible things going on;

1) MGS and MPF will have no KE round.

2) MGS and MPF will use training rounds as their KE round.

3) A new 105mm APFSDS will be procured.

4) MPF will use a 120mm gun instead of a 105mm.

Another option: M900 remanufactured.

Considering how the same contract has HEI ammo of similar vintage, its possible that it's the propellant (or in the HE rounds, perhaps also the explosive fill) which is past its use-by date, and that the projos and cases will then be available for re-loading with fresh (perhaps IM or temp-independent?) propellant.

4 minutes ago, Gun Ready said:

As promised mid August to @BkktMkkt  here my simulation of 3BM60 @ 1600 m/s versus 600 mm RHA semi-infinite stack

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FtyBUqT3BjGE8drXA erosion of rod only

And here the temperature distribution within the same simulation

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Mtzn8cPLL5xbBCn7  much more meaningful information

http://otvaga2004.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=1988&p=30#p1261485

List of 2A66 gun ammunition (D-91 gun)

fVwsM.jpg

• 3VBM14 shot with 3BM39 APFSDS
  • 3VBM15 shot with 3BM40 APFSDS
  • 3VBK21 with 3BK29 HEAT shell
  • 3VOF85 with 3OF26 HE-frag shell
  • 3UBK18 shot with 9M125 GL-ATGM
  • 3BSh7 with 3Sh7 training round (APFSDS-like)