Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Hard to tell. L28 used WC core with WHA cap/nose and steel cup in-between. The cup would not be seen without disassembly, but core and cap material should differ in look. At this picture  WC cores of older APDS looks darker than supposed WHA cores of newer APDS. Probably L52, not L28.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have a question for true grognards.

Were the HE, smoke and other ancillary rounds for the F1 105mm unique to that gun?  It occurs to me that with its unique rifling twist rate, the possible L/D ratios for spin-stabilized shells would be much less than for the otherwise ballistically identical L7.

On 6/12/2020 at 6:08 PM, Collimatrix said:

OK, I have a question for true grognards.

Were the HE, smoke and other ancillary rounds for the F1 105mm unique to that gun?  It occurs to me that with its unique rifling twist rate, the possible L/D ratios for spin-stabilized shells would be much less than for the otherwise ballistically identical L7.

AFAIK, the Spanish used the OE mod. 60 and the OCC 105 F1 rounds on their Pattons.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Almost looks like the nose section is fatter than the rest of the rod.

Exactly, which is why  I'm inclined to believe this round is M829A4, as we have seen M829A3 in-flight and it does not look like this:

Spoiler

XgS0o2UEcKONg4FAOSOOakV20rqzDd_nWaR03Chk

The fatter nose could house the tech/mechanisms necessary for an advanced precursor/tip separation maybe? Just eyeballing it compared to the photos of in-flight M829A3, it does appear longer as well.  My really fast and crappy image edit to try and show this. Both projectiles are 12 pixels thick in the image, but due to perspective differences its not perfect.

Spoiler

rk4wFqJ.png

Just eyeballing it compared to the photos of in-flight M829A3, it does appear longer as well.

I don't think the projectile could get any longer based on the limitations of the cartridge. It may appear longer though if the rod diameter was reduced from the A3 to the A4. The tip protruding from the sabot petals appears to have retained the same diameter though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 12:57 PM, Gun Ready said:

I'm looking again for confirmed data on Svinets-2 like flight projectile weight (8.4 kg) and length (735 mm), tungsten penetrator mass, diameter and length. The muzzle velocity is stated to be 1660 m/s, is this correct? @Militarysta and @BkktMkkt

The stated length is the entire projectile, not just the penetrator. The rods width is about 19-20mm. Muzzle velocity is correct. My own estimations  for the projectile´s dimensions corroborate those figures.

wliBU0V.png

ATIZJ5b.jpg

rK51Exc.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...