Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Celebrities that are now dead

Belesarius

Yep. Was going to point out that now it is official that Abe Vigoda is dead.

Just gonna copypasta Wiki since I'm busy.

In 1982 People magazine mistakenly referred to Vigoda as dead. At the time, Vigoda, age 61, was performing in a stage play in Calgary.[12] He took the mistake with good humor, posing for a photograph published in Variety in which he was sitting up in a coffin, holding the erroneous issue of PeopleJeff Jarvis, a People employee at the time, said that the magazine's editors were known for "messing up" stories, and one of them repeatedly inserted the phrase "the late" in reference to Vigoda, even after a researcher correctly removed it.[13] The edited (erroneous) version was what went to print.[13]

The same mistake was made in 1987 when a reporter for television station WWOR, Channel 9 in Secaucus, New Jersey, mistakenly referred to him as "the late Abe Vigoda".[14] She realized and corrected her mistake the next day.[14]

Vigoda had been the subject of many running gags pertaining to the mistaken reports of his death. In 1997, Vigoda appeared in the film Good Burger as the character Otis, a restaurant's French fry man. Several jokes were made about his advanced age, including his character Otis saying "I should've died years ago." That same year he was shopping atBloomingdale's in Manhattan when the salesman remarked, "You look like Abe Vigoda. But you can't be Abe Vigoda because he's dead."[15] A Late Night with David Letterman skit showed Letterman trying to summon Vigoda's ghost, but Vigoda walked in and declared, "I'm not dead yet, you pinhead!"

In May 2001, a website was mounted with only one purpose: to report whether Vigoda was dead or alive.[16][17][18] In 2005, a "tongue-in-cheek" Firefox extension was released with the sole purpose of telling the browser user Vigoda's status.[14][19]

Continuing with the gag, Vigoda appeared frequently to make fun of his status on the television show Late Night with Conan O'Brien, including a guest appearance on the show's final episode. In the 1998 New York Friars Club roast of Drew Carey, with Vigoda in the audience, comedian Jeff Ross joked, "my one regret is that Abe Vigoda isn't alive to see this". He followed that with "Drew, you're a big gambler, what's the Over–under on Abe Vigoda?"[20] On January 23, 2009, Vigoda appeared live on The Today Show. He said he was doing well, joked about previous reports of his death and announced he had just completed a voice-over for an H&R Block commercial to air during the Super Bowl.

Vigoda and Betty White, both 88 years old at the time, appeared in "Game", a Snickers commercial that debuted during Super Bowl XLIV on February 7, 2010. The plot made fun of the advanced age of the actors. The Super Bowl Ad Meter poll respondents rated the ad the highest of any shown during the game.[21]

• 2 months later...

Still the finest tribute to Prince ever penned.

Oh yeah, I can see Gwar doing a really superb live show.

Out of respect for the next artist's litigious tendencies towards youtube videos, I will not be posting any audio/visual material.

In the 1970s there was a terrible threat to civilization and apple pie and freedom and life itself.  No, I'm not talking about punk rock or disco or Jimmy Carter's presidency, although those were all terrible mistakes.  I am of course referring to that great rainbow scourge, the gays.

The 1969 Stonewall riots began the campaign of gay imperialism.  Things that had been safely heterosexual suddenly, overnight, became gay.  The color purple.  The word "gay."  Song and dance numbers.  Nazi uniforms.  Tight pants.  Dressing well.  Reading books.

By the end of the decade, only men with disgusting walrus mustaches, poor personal hygiene and no words in their vocabulary over four syllables long were safely straight, and the gays were coming for the mustaches too.  Breeders were in retreat, and given that the gays had claimed grooming as part of their lebensraum, attracting a mate was getting pretty difficult.  The entire globe would be partitioned between celibate, culture-less morlocks and an expanding army of flouncing, hard-bodied interior decorators.  This is how the world ends; not with a bang, but a... a sound that is like a whimper, but gayer.

But then in the 1980s, God stopped the gays in their tracks.  The Moral Majority interpreted AIDS as God's judgment against the gays, but you shouldn't listen to them because they're retarded.  God's instrument against the gays in the 1980s was Prince.

Yes; Prince, who's early hits included "1999" and "Little Red Corvette," was in fact the defender of heterosexuality who allowed the next generation to be born (that generation would turn out to be the Millennials, but that's hardly his fault).  Yes, the man wore a lot of purple and lace, which at first glance seems dubious, but you've got to understand that he was making those things straight again.  Yes; Prince was the leader of the heterosexual reconquista.  Let that sink in; without Prince, straight people would have been wiped out by the mid 1990's.

Yes, the guy is a weirdo and a vegan, but I think that's entirely permissible in light of the fact that he saved humanity from extinction.

A late uncle knew (as in was friends) with Abe Vigoda. Got to have lunch with him once when I was maybe eight or nine. Was utterly bewildered, as we did not have a TV in the house at the time, and would not for a few years.

In recent events, was kind of pissed at co-workers for giving me a "who?" when I mentioned "Merle Haggard died"(Yes, I listen to Country).. But these same dipshits cannot stop talking about Prince.

To borrow a well worn internet phrase- "Fuck this gay earth".

A late uncle knew (as in was friends) with Abe Vigoda. Got to have lunch with him once when I was maybe eight or nine. Was utterly bewildered, as we did not have a TV in the house at the time, and would not for a few years.

In recent events, was kind of pissed at co-workers for giving me a "who?" when I mentioned "Merle Haggard died"(Yes, I listen to Country).. But these same dipshits cannot stop talking about Prince.

To borrow a well worn internet phrase- "Fuck this gay earth".

Were you conflicted about celebrity deaths when you saw Jesus die only to come back to life?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

RIP Miss Cleo.

No one saw this coming...

*Prepares to make jokes*

"Ah, I pulled out the secret drug overdose card child! a big myste....."

*goes to read report "Cause of death: Cancer"......"

......Oh.....

......Well then......

*Awkward silence*