Sturgeon's House
Sturgeon

Competition Topic Suggestions

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

I think we did a great job on the first competition and have dragged our asses on competitions ever since lol.

Yeah, but I'm down for another competition. I've been thinking about designing a tank anyway, might as well partake in a competition with it.

4 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

I think we did a great job on the first competition and have dragged our asses on competitions ever since lol.

I think part of it is that we have some non-overlapping spheres of interest when it comes to designing things. Tonks are about the most common factor on this forum, so I'd support doing another tank-related design competition where sufficient interest has been accumulated.

2 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

Yeah, but I'm down for another competition. I've been thinking about designing a tank anyway, might as well partake in a competition with it.

I'm always down - although I find pre-modern tanks more fun to design than modern ones.

Winner gets 100 dollarydoos from me. If I win, second place will get 100 dollarydoos.

Also, when the contest is up, maybe make a topic in Mechanised as well? I don't think everyone checks this part of the forum.

I’m not sure how well a judge I will be, cause I’m an idiot (compared to most people here), but I’ll try. I do have some ideas for the MBT, but I’m bad@computers, so I guess I don’t have too much of a choice. 

Got an idea for a tank design competition, might be a bit of alternate history junk, but I'll see how it goes;

It is the year 20XX. It has been XX years since a nuclear war destroyed much of the world, causing severe damage to the industrial base. You are an engineer in <country>, tasked with designing a new tank for your nation's armed forces. While your country has knowledge of prewar tank developments (such as the M1, T-14, etc.), your nation's industrial base is insufficient to use manufacturing techniques more advanced than late 1930s / early 1940s technology (what exactly this means requires me to do a bit more thought).

Basically, a cheap way of getting around that any of the tanks from "design a tank for world war 2 country in 1938/1941/1944" end up using what we already know from hindsight and don't look like something that would have been made in that period.

What is it designed to fight?

Edit: to clarify sonewhat, I like the idea and would be keen to participate.

I do, however, think that the devil here will be in the details. Are we working out of a destroyed post-nuclear US, a relatively untouched country that finds itself suddenly needing to build up a tank force, something else? How far away from the war are we? Relatedly, is there old-world equipment still kicking around, or is it 200 years later and ecerything is dust? What sort of threats and operating environment is this built for, and exactly what tech is available? Can we mix-and-match new ideas with older tech (nothing physically prevents us putting NERA and ERA in to deal with primitive HEAT jets, for instance), or is there some sort of hard limit on things. How much information has been retained from the old world?

@LostCosmonautI think you're going to have to do a bit of world-building and come back to us with a more detailed scenario.

I'm working on an idea for a contest, a contemporary fast attack craft for the USN, probably to be posted in mid-late december. I'm probably going to leave the requirements fairly open-ended, but it'll need to fit within a given budget and meet the appropriate dimensional, weight, and performance specifications -- I will also do my best to point people in the appropriate direction for helping to determine seaworthiness and performance if that's needed. I'm hoping this would be an interesting challenge, and one that is accessible to more people than a full-on warship design. I'll also be cooking up an un-scored entry as a baseline/template. 

Does that sound ok?

33 minutes ago, A. T. Mahan said:

.... fast attack craft for the USN....

Does that sound ok?

No, it doesn't. Our attempts to start competition on something other than an AFV failed.

1 hour ago, A. T. Mahan said:

I'm working on an idea for a contest, a contemporary fast attack craft for the USN, probably to be posted in mid-late december. I'm probably going to leave the requirements fairly open-ended, but it'll need to fit within a given budget and meet the appropriate dimensional, weight, and performance specifications -- I will also do my best to point people in the appropriate direction for helping to determine seaworthiness and performance if that's needed. I'm hoping this would be an interesting challenge, and one that is accessible to more people than a full-on warship design. I'll also be cooking up an un-scored entry as a baseline/template. 

Does that sound ok?

We now have a rule that there needs to be a long cooling off period between contests - around 1 year.

I think we might consider sonething around March/April next year if people are super keen, but until then it can get posted here like all the other ideas to be mulled over in due time.

3 hours ago, Toxn said:

We now have a rule that there needs to be a long cooling off period between contests - around 1 year.

I think we might consider sonething around March/April next year if people are super keen, but until then it can get posted here like all the other ideas to be mulled over in due time.

I told Mahan to go ahead and suggest another contest, but I don't think anyone will really be biting for several months at least.