Sturgeon's House
EnsignExpendable

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

A nice article about the KMW AGM/RCG 155:
http://www.esut.de/esut/archiv/news-detail-view/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=762&cHash=d67ea2db0a71e791f642760bced3ebe3

12,5t weighs the AGM module alone
37t on Boxer.

Boxer needs some changes to its wheels and its running gear but still can change the mission module from AGM to others and back.
needs only a crew of 2! and could be used via remote control already!

No supports needed. So very low setup time.
MRSI and shoot and scoot capable.

8 rounds a minute.

Not sure about ammo storage. Las i heard was 30.

A400M transportable 35t transport weight/empty
instead of the 56t PzH2000

Not so sure about maintenance if you have only 2 guys.
Also realoding and securing the area.
But if you still only use 3 guys you save 2 others that can do something else.

Some remarks about MGCS (all probably already known):
40-45t max weight
Autoloader
and less crew.

Only carrying part of the gun crew in the vehicle isn't a huge issue - it's a lot easier to have an APC with the extra hands follow artillery than follow tanks. Brit practice is to have about half the gun crew ride in AS-90, and the rest follow along in another vehicle.

A proper self-propelled gun-howitzer in A400M is a pretty useful capability

Some modern howitzers can indeed be operated by 2 but I believe the norm would still be at least 4 men, possibly spread between the ammo mule and SPH. 

I think the howitzer that Elbit's developing (and I sure hope they don't take another 10 goddamn years!) would be manned by 4-6 men just because settling for less would be a real shocker for the reserve artillery units that rely on crews of up to 10 per howitzer.

3 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Some modern howitzers can indeed be operated by 2 but I believe the norm would still be at least 4 men, possibly spread between the ammo mule and SPH.

the entire point of this vehicle as laid out in the article is to reduce manpower requirements as much as possible going so far as to simply remote controlling the majority of a bateries vehicles.

carrying spare personel as a failsafe as the pzh2000 did defeats the point.

29 minutes ago, holoween said:

the entire point of this vehicle as laid out in the article is to reduce manpower requirements as much as possible going so far as to simply remote controlling the majority of a bateries vehicles.

carrying spare personel as a failsafe as the pzh2000 did defeats the point.

Well the only thing they're doing in practice is just relocate the manpower to maintenance units.

But I guess on second thought, men who specialize in maintaining the vehicle will do so more efficiently, thus leading to another source of manpower saving.