Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

Thats the Porshe turrent version, which is even faster than the H, which is when the Nazi's decided it might actually benefit them to start putting armor on their turrents 

..faster?

The only difference is that the first Krupp turret weighed 1 ton less than the second Krupp turret. 1 ton does not really mean faster..

Great video EE.

Some highlights:

1:29, some saplings provide a scale reference for how utterly gigantic the tiger II was.

1:50, hot neutral steering action.  Since the tiger and tiger II had the same steering drives, that settles it; the tiger could neutral steer before the panther could (and the char B before either of the big cats).  Note that the tank doesn't spin exactly around its central axis; this is typical for vehicles with purely mechanical steering drives; unevenness in the terrain gives lopsided resistance through the differentials, and the tank doesn't spin exactly about the center.  One thing American tankers report wishing they had was this capability; apparently it allowed the panther to leave a position unusually quickly (you know, assuming the final drives didn't splinter).

5:59, the uncompleted E-100 hull

10:03, 10:45, the VK 30.01(H) prototype with some sort of engineering spade

One thing American tankers report wishing they had was this capability; apparently it allowed the panther to leave a position unusually quickly (you know, assuming the final drives didn't splinter).

I have a feeling that what they were actually envious of was ability of use the auxiliary clutch and brake steering to turn on a pivot.

There seems to be a fair amount of controversy on whether the Panther could neutral steer or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Receiver looks based on the MG-3, which for some reason was slated for replacement.

I had heard of this project a long time ago, I wonder if it is still active.

The history of machine gun procurement in the Bundeswehr is full of interesting twists and turns.  According to Musgrave's German Machine Guns book, the first MG-42s produced after WWII were reverse-engineered from wartime guns; the original blueprints had been lost.  For some time thereafter, Rheinmetall produced the MG-42 (later MG-3), as well as the G-3 rifle.  Heckler and Koch announced that they, too, would like to manufacture MG-3 machine guns, which caused some concern at Rheinmetall because this could lead to competitive pricing, which would be bad for them.

In the end, a "gentleman's agreement" was reached.  HK would only produce G-3 rifles, and Rheinmetall would cease production of G-3 to focus on MG-3, so both companies could charge monopoly pricing on their respective design!

Receiver looks based on the MG-3, which for some reason was slated for replacement.

I had heard of this project a long time ago, I wonder if it is still active.

The history of machine gun procurement in the Bundeswehr is full of interesting twists and turns.  According to Musgrave's German Machine Guns book, the first MG-42s produced after WWII were reverse-engineered from wartime guns; the original blueprints had been lost.  For some time thereafter, Rheinmetall produced the MG-42 (later MG-3), as well as the G-3 rifle.  Heckler and Koch announced that they, too, would like to manufacture MG-3 machine guns, which caused some concern at Rheinmetall because this could lead to competitive pricing, which would be bad for them.

In the end, a "gentleman's agreement" was reached.  HK would only produce G-3 rifles, and Rheinmetall would cease production of G-3 to focus on MG-3, so both companies could charge monopoly pricing on their respective design!

Corporations colluding to bilk the taxpayer?  Who would have guessed?