Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

On tiger and tiger II the steering wheel makes sense.  It was one of a very few tanks of the era with multiple turning radii, so being able to give analog input would be helpful.  Leo II has continuously variable steering, so again, the wheel makes sense.  M48 had a single turn radius per gear, so as far as the driver was concerned you were going straight, going left or going right.

Alright, boys, one of my commenters has asserted that Panther side skirts were not to defend against AT rifles, but against shaped charges.

Somebody (me or him) needs to be set straight, so go forth and do so!

EDIT: nvm, i got that shit lol

Isn't this exhibit at Bovington tank museum cut from a ~6" plate used for gunnery practice and not from an actual Tiger tank?

4f3bmHe.jpg

Alright, boys, one of my commenters has asserted that Panther side skirts were not to defend against AT rifles, but against shaped charges.

"Standoff". The schurzen are a fixed distance from the vehicle CL, meaning it has a variable standoff ratio from the outer vehicle. Not the best situation if you're trying to defeat a Munroe charge.

"The 14.5mm BS was a tungsten cored API that penetrated 30mm @ 100m, or 25mm @ 500m

MV was 1000m/s

The .50 closest to that was M903 SLAP, saboted tungsten core

34mm @ 500m, and 23mm @ 1,200m.

MV 1214m/s

regular API is 25mm @ 100 meters, 18mm @ 500 m"

30mm at 100m vs the correct 40mm at 100m and 25mm at 500m vs the correct 32mm at 500m by Soviet tests? I mean, just a small mixup right?

"I listed the WWII standard US API. not that much worse. 5mm? big whoop.

And most of the Red Army didn't have those tungsten rounds, but the more common steelcore API"

[Citation needed]

and 15 and 5 are the same number now!

"the difference between sabots and full diameter APCR isn't that great for the sizes we are discussing"

Except for the part where it is of course, and even if it wasn't, perhaps there's a reason APCR/HVAP style rounds were basically rendered completely obsolete by the introduction of APDS in all but "standard" and small caliber firearms or something.

"50 SLAP is +9mm at 500m vs 14.5 BS Tungsten core.

I wouldn't call that 'pretty great'

BTW, Chinese DGJ02 'SLAP' is 1250m/s vs 1214m/s for 50 SLAP, and 20mm @1000m vs 23mm @1200m for 50 SLAP

For whatever reason, the 14.5mm just doesn't perform as well as all that extra ME would suggest."

Yes, the part where DGJ02 had that figure tested against a 60 degree angled plate doesn't factor in at all you fucking idiot, I am rly gud at understanding armor mechanics u guyz! Holy shit is he one of the same types of idiots who thinks the Chieftain had more effective armor then the T-64 too because they can't be bothered to do the most basic research of the topic at hand?

"Same 'Anti-Material' role, anyway.

Like in WWII, ineffective against MBTs, unless you count zapping the TC when the hatch is open.

But anything lighter in armor, well, still effective against BMPs and the like.

The real big change is decent optics vs iron sights for long range work."

"Like in WWII, ineffective against MBTs" ...........................................

I fucking hate this guy so much, my god, he legitimately does deserve an entire article explaining what a goddamn dumbass he is.

Also, one last bit of icing on the cake in regards to this, I assure you he also doesn't realize 14.5x114mm outperforms .50 BMG so hard while even operating at a lower approved pressure (52,000 vs 55,000 psi, not a massive difference at that level by any means, but any margin is some margin.)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/10/24/the-ptrs-vs-ptrd-1944/#comment-2327276286

Alex, can you assure I have diplomatic immunity please? seriously fuck this retard.

I assume you got paid for the article?

Because that would be the dictionary definition of making lemonade from lemons.

Also, since I assume that's you Ensign, yes, he tried to back pedal and claim he knew his original figures were against sloped armor all along despite never mentioning it until multiple people called him out on it, even in the case of the DGJ02 where he was either willfully retarded or obviously lying to ignore its against sloped armor, as opposed to .50 BMG SLAP's figure which isn't. and also the unsloped figures for regular .50 BMG M2 AP/M8 API.

At this rate, he may become the forums next new trend.