Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I'm curious why the US continued using the M4 and other domestic tanks, instead of picking up German tanks after the war. The M4 had terrible armor and lit on fire every time it was hit (hence the "zippo" nickname), where the Tiger or Panther could reliably kill enemy tanks out to two kilometers while being invulnerable from as near as 100m away, and being much more mechanically reliable. I'm sure that the blueprints for German tanks weren't destroyed after the war, and after some retooling and upgrading, I'm sure the US industry would have been capable of producing them.

Where is this copypasta'd from?

MPa7Jrx.jpg

A tiger in the mud

Miserable. Friedli quotes a June 1943 report from the Paderborn training school that says, "The exchange of an inner road wheel takes at least 10 hours even with a well-rehearsed crew." In conditions like those I'm sure the time rose appreciably.

Do you think the crew cursed the tank the whole time, or the designers, or the designers mothers? I know I've had some choice words for the mothers of the people who designed the Nissan Xterra, or a few Ford vehicles when forced to work on them.

If my experience working with German engineering on modernish Audis and Minis is representative, all of your choices and more. :)

I recall a document about oscillations during movement of some vehicles that mentioned an experimental PzIV with a German HVSS suspension. It performed the worst of all.

Yep, the Germans tried a volute spring suspension on the Pz IV, it was no good.  

It's listed on this chart from the Spielberger Panther books that gets posted around the web quite a bit. (Pz IV mit Kegelstumpffdern)

panther%2Bsuspension.jpg

I've never been 100% clear on how the normal Pz IV suspension works.

The above chart does show that non-independent suspensions generally have an advantage in pitch stability.  It also shows that tanks, like other vehicles, tend to smooth out once they're above a certain speed.

I wonder what the dampened suspension on the panther was that shows such good pitch stability.

German tanks are easy to identify... when they're right side up:

mLtSIDw.jpg