Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

18 minutes ago, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

Did you manage to speak to the Puma people? Seems odd that they want to bid for NGCV with the Lynx already in play.

I did - they were excellent hosts, even after I mentioned that I was a tourist in terms of potential business :lol:

PSM was there as PSM, no relationship to Rheinmetall (I know, I know). They seem to think that their platform is the best match to OMFV requirements.

6 hours ago, foxhound said:

Two Pumas would fit in a C-17 in class A protection, right?

I don't think there is any vehicle that a C17 can carry two of if the vehicles are at the mandated protection level.  PUMA also cannot meet the growth requirement.  The chassis is at its weight limit - no way is there 20% growth available.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:45 AM, heretic88 said:

Was this posted before? Anyway. Contains a few interesting facts. According to the driver of Saumur tank musum's Panther, the engine is actually quite accessible and easy to maintain. Then he tells of course about the steering system, which is - no surprise - problematic. Later the curator of the museum also tells about it, and he mentions the constant need to check the steering system, and the frequent adjustings required. Maybe this was the real reason behind the low service life of the final drives? Drivers without enough experience or training, so they didnt perform the checks and adjustments, which led to early final drive failures? The drive train wasnt perfect of course, but there is evidence that with experienced drivers, the final drives lasted far, far more than the mythical "150km" (actually I believe it is a typo in the original french report! 1500km should be the real value).

Nice video, there's also a comment from the man itself, The Chieftain:

"It may be worth noting that some modern tanks do still use a compressed air bore exacuation system... look at Leclerc."

19 hours ago, SH_MM said:

Mine protection plate of the Puma. It is either the upside down or the iimage is mirrored.

EHT9ZBOXYAADtui?format=png&name=900x900

It is also confirmed that the Puma uses NERA in the hull front and parts of the hull sides.

Well in SPz Puma even hot air exhaust is made by double slopped NERA:

urwdwKD.jpg

hx8D9G7.jpg

vDbK3h4.jpg

About month ago I looked very cearfully on Shutzpanzer Puma on Ostrava NATO days :-) Lets's sey that is  better protected then I suspected. Mucht better. Talks whit crew was very interesting too.

In fact for upper front hull part SC jet or 30-40mm KE rod must overcome 2 or 3 slopped on 18@ NERA plates, then overcome slopped front plate (LOS ca.50-60mm) then fly trought engine comparment and finnaly overcome 20mm bulkhead before crew comparment.  In lower hull we have two slopped 15mm plates whit primary engine fuel tank (50L) then we have huge slab of metal - HSWL and MTU engine and then 20mm bulkhead.

IMHO Puma front is between 200-250mm vs KE penetrator from medium caliber automatic canons. In case SC warhed lower hull is less protected but upper hull - it shoud be able to stop any 80's ATGM without precursor and propably RPG-28 and PzF-3T frontally. A lot of NERA and huge space is nice protection IMHO.    

Couple photos:

Engine compartment - look at triple NERA layers:

dYhxPSI.jpg

NeRa or NxRA everywhere...:

HSVt8TI.png

Here is visible bulkhead thickenss:

eyYDo3e.jpg

And chamber for 50L fuel tank and doubla slopped ca.15mm plates:

b5NoQtV.jpg

How does one PUMA recover another?  Typically, an AFV has a rear pintle hook and can use that plus and A frame attached to the front recovery eyes of a casualty vehicle to flat tow recover it.

PUMA has an odd looking hook where I expect to see a pintle?  And I can't find any images of a PUMA recovering another PUMA?

• 2 weeks later...