Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

The German government has approved the budget for upgrading Marder IFVs with ATTICA third generation thermal imagers. 244 thermal imagers are being ordered, though in theory some of them might be spare parts. This is largely related to the fact that spare parts for the first generation WBG-X thermal imagers are not being made anymore.

https://www.behoerden-spiegel.de/2020/10/08/schuetzenpanzer-marder-erhaelt-neue-waermebildzielgeraete/

On 10/8/2020 at 11:17 AM, heretic88 said:

Well, this is one of the disadvantages of NATO membership. Russia has the exact AA system we need, the Pantsir, and we arent allowed to buy it. 

17 hours ago, Serge said:

The Biho can do it too. 

IMO neither Biho nor Pantsir are optimal for defence against drones, at least not against the smaller types, as they lack programmable ammunition.

On 10/9/2020 at 4:32 PM, SH_MM said:

IMO neither Biho nor Pantsir are optimal for defence against drones, at least not against the smaller types, as they lack programmable ammunition.

You are right, but nobody said that we need these things against small drones. 

Actually, there arent any weapon systems currently in the world that are really effective against small drones, or loitering munitions. Possible solutions: lasers, large caliber (40mm+) autocannons with guided munition, or mini missiles. 

2 hours ago, heretic88 said:

Actually, there arent any weapon systems currently in the world that are really effective against small drones, or loitering munitions. Possible solutions: lasers, large caliber (40mm+) autocannons with guided munition, or mini missiles. 

Well there's the Rapidfire based on the 40 mm CTA but I think it lack guided ammunition (which I'm not sure are really useful against rather slow UAV), programmable ammunitions are available though.

Though it's effective range is in my opinion too small (4 km) and it rely purely on optical targeting if on it's own (though it can take it's cue from a linked radar). Both of those make it rather useless against more dangerous aerial threats that can target it from further away, or move too fast to be detected soon enough if not linked to a radar.

Spoiler

It is in essence a CIWS system not a full scale air defense system.

At least that's how Thales and Nexter market it: A replacement for 25mm and 30mm CIWS with an improved range and efficiency while keeping a roughly similar footprint.

4 minutes ago, SH_MM said:

What happened to the ATGM launcher? Does the Boxer CRV now utilize a pop-up system with internal launcher?

Likely not to be fitted to the 12 x Block 1 turrets. 

Only 30 x launchers being procured at the moment, to be rotated across the fleet. I’m putting my money on them first appearing on the Block 2 turrets (as opposed to the Lance 2.0 turrets).

Slightly more oblique pic. 

8Q3xjkQ.jpg

1 minute ago, 2805662 said:

Not sure.

Yeah.  The PM is sitting in a LANCE 1.0 on a BLOCK 1 RECON.  We have seen LANCE 2.0 - its on LYNX.  Major config difference being coax flipped with gunners sight.  But I agree, not clear exactly what a BLOCK 2 LANCE looks like.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 4:32 PM, SH_MM said:

The German government has approved the budget for upgrading Marder IFVs with ATTICA third generation thermal imagers. 244 thermal imagers are being ordered, though in theory some of them might be spare parts. This is largely related to the fact that spare parts for the first generation WBG-X thermal imagers are not being made anymore.

Apparently Rheinmetall's SAPHIR 2.6 MK was chosen over the ATTICA-GM from Hensoldt. A bit odd, given that the ATTICA thermal imager is also used on Puma and Leopard 2...

https://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/en/rheinmetall_defence/public_relations/news/latest_news/index_25088.php

2 hours ago, SH_MM said:

Apparently Rheinmetall's SAPHIR 2.6 MK was chosen over the ATTICA-GM from Hensoldt. A bit odd, given that the ATTICA thermal imager is also used on Puma and Leopard 2...

https://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/en/rheinmetall_defence/public_relations/news/latest_news/index_25088.php

Rheinmetall writes the shopping list for BAAIN so nothing to worry about 😂.

Next points on the list are

- Lynx instead of Puma

- Kodiak instead of Wisent

On 11/10/2020 at 2:44 AM, Rico said:

Lynx instead of Puma

Not likely any time soon.  Germany can hedge its bets.  LYNX will be in production for Hungary and I expect Rheinmetall will start pushing LYNX once that production line is running.  But still, big commitment to PUMA/Marder is in the system and Rheinmetall gets cash no matter what!

• 2 weeks later...

Possible game changer in the Czech IFV tender. Rheinmetall yesterday signed creation of a joint venture with Tatra defence (in Czech presidential palace) for production and development of tactical combat vehicles in Tatra facilities in Kopřivnice (not limited to Lynx). If nothing else it means that both ASCOD and Lynx would be produced in Tatra. 

https://www.idnes.cz/zpravy/nato/czg-strand-rheinmetall-vozidla-obrana-armada-koprivnice-tatra-czechoslovak-group.A201126_163750_zpr_nato_inc 

• 2 weeks later...