Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Movie tanks and terrible Vismods

This thread is dedicated to all the times that movies tried to get away with tanks painted up from the wrong country or really bad vismods.  

I'll start it off with this youtube clip from the film The Battle Of Neretva."  It's not in English, but from what I can tell, it's about German forces equipped with T-34s and M4 Shermans fighting Soviet forces equipped with Pak 38 and Pak 40 anti-tank guns.  

This thread is dedicated to all the times that movies tried to get away with tanks painted up from the wrong country or really bad vismods.  

I'll start it off with this youtube clip from the film The Battle Of Neretva."  It's not in English, but from what I can tell, it's about German forces equipped with T-34s and M4 Shermans fighting Soviet forces equipped with Pak 38 and Pak 40 anti-tank guns.  

Not to mention all sides are issued MG42s

Yeah. The legend is that those Red Dawn modded up Patton/T-72 tanks were so good that the crew were followed by CIA agents during filming. 

At least according to IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

I still cry every time.

As far as John Milius films go, it's Conan that always starts the waterworks for me.

I'll get it back on track with this "panther" from Saumur.  For a movie prop, they could have done a lot worse.  The mantlet actually looks alright, and they even put a little cupola on there.  If the gun wasn't at a funky angle and splitting in half, it would probably look good too.

3428935662_fa5a17d833_b.jpg

I seem to recall reading that when the M24 was introduced, there were concerns that US troops might mistake it for a German tank due to how different it looked from previous US tanks.